'Came out' as asexual on my Facebook page 3 nights ago...

everclear1973

everclear1973

I'm not sure if that's the correct term for letting people know your sexuality...this is new to me, even though I'm 42. Through some research I found that I am asexual, well I found that who I am and how I feel has a name. I didn't know that before. I knew that I'm not interested in sex, in fact I am repulsed by it...and always have been. Anyway I found a picture on the internet, that showed some characteristics of an asexual person, and posted that on my Facebook timeline, and said some things about myself, amazingly my friends accepted it. They accepted me. The thing is, I'm not sure if I fully accept myself. Anyway, I decided to join AVEN shortly after that. So I guess I'm proud of doing that, but at the same time still have questions about myself. A lot.

(Typing this is an achievement too as I have a lot of trouble and am very uncomfortable using the word sex.)

Good for you, and yay to accepting friends. I did the same and my first public pronouncement was saying that I was going to an AVEN meet-up

I think that friends may see through any pretence of sexuality but don't say anything out of politeness

Blue Phoenix Ace

Congrats on that Everclear. I am planning on doing a Facebook coming out soon but... it makes me so nervous. How did you all get over the nerves?

It's great to hear your friends have been so accepting everclear. ^_^ I hope Aven will help you with some of your questions. At least here you can find like-minded people who you can talk to about things that bother you.

everclear1973

DJ Ace - I had thought about telling my friends for a long time, but didn't know how and was embarrassed to say it. I decided that it was time to let people know and for me to accept myself for who I am. Not being interested in sex is nothing to be ashamed of, after 30 years I've finally realized this.

Blue Phoenix Ace

Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence. I finally dropped the bomb on Facebook. I had a really good talk with the one friend I came out to a while back. That helped me quite a bit as well. I think the adrenaline is finally subsiding, maybe I can sleep tonight. :)

Congrats on that. You got me excited for a second there by making me think there was a setting to allow asexual as relationship/sexual preference. Just like my impossible attempt at entering into a relationship with myself on Facebook, it seems to always be a frivolous plight.

Blue Phoenix Ace

Isn't there a way to say that you are in a relationship on Facebook, but not specify the person? It would be a nice joke. People would be wondering who it was you were with, and you could just string them along for a while.

Isn't there a way to say that you are in a relationship on Facebook, but not specify the person? It would be a nice joke. People would be wondering who it was you were with, and you could just string them along for a while.

To be completely honest nobody would believe it even if there was a name attached to it, or countless pictures of it, for me. I'm so far beyond hopeless, spinster, and old maid with the people in my life that anything alternate to the contrary is simply an impossibility.

To be completely honest nobody would believe it even if there was a name attached to it, or countless pictures of it, for me. I'm so far beyond hopeless, spinster, and old maid with the people in my life that anything alternate to the contrary is simply an impossibility.

Wait.... I don't equate asexuality with hopeless, spinster, or old maid (if that is what you meant? Is it what you meant?).

Wait.... I don't equate asexuality with hopeless, spinster, or old maid (if that is what you meant? Is it what you meant?).

I'm not saying it's exclusive to asexuals. People in my life attribute it to me without considering it as anything to do with orientation. :)

Archived