Sci-fi, fantasy, steampunk, Star Wars….? Any other geeks like me out there?

BobRossRules

I’m not sure if there is a similar thread?? I couldn’t find it. I think I saw Dr. Who and Lt. Commander Data appreciation threads, and similar ones (way cool BTW), as well as anime stuff. Anyway, whether you’re a Trekkie, fan of Back to the Future, dig role playing games, enjoy dressing up at conventions, wish you were an elf, or would trade in your iPhone for a Farnsworth….this is a place to hang. FYI – all those things apply to me. Post your favorite movies, scenes, quotes, characters, and games.

Okay, so I’ll start. I consider myself a fan of all things sci-fi and I’m a Trekkie. I love all the Star Treks, old and new. Of course, I can never quote a specific episode title or number, and I wouldn’t be able to stand on any ground when it comes to debates about the actual number of Star Trek episodes (without involving Google). However, I surely miss Star Trek!! My favorite character is Montgomery “Scotty” Scott. I especially liked him in the Star Trek movies. This came up in another thread, and I started totally geeking out when someone mentioned him. But it was off-topic. Anyway, here is a neat-o video highlighting his awesomeness.

Used to be a die-hard Trekkie in the days when TNG & DS9 ran on live TV. While I'm not as fanatically into it anymore, I still do love Trek, and catch myself tuning in on reruns a lot when I find them (except Enterprise, because boy does that show suck... came dang close to being a total franchise killer <_< ).

Sci-fi, in general, is probably my favorite genre, too... and I'm finally gonna go see Force Awakens on Tuesday. ;)

Beautiful Chaos

Die hard Stargate fan here~ Watched the entire franchise about 9 times over, probably know the name and synopsis of every episode xD

Yep I was raised on the old Star Trek, Bones was always my favorite, it was his eyebrows that did it for me, Spock had nothing on McCoy; "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?" :D

Star Wars I love, I am a proud owner of a remote control BB-8 he's adorable.

Its a good year for Sci-fi if you haven't watched Killjoys or The Expanse yet you're missing out, go find them NOW

Also on the fantasy side MTVs The Chronicles of Shannara ^_^ Terry Brooks is a literary GOD and now his books are TV, Game of Thrones eat your heart out :P

Games I love anything story driven and weird, if it's based in reality too much I don't want to know {Sony fangirl here, lovin it} replaying Last of Us and waiting for Uncharted 4, Nathan Drake is officially the love child of Indiana Jones and Malcolm Reynolds

And in the words of Capt. M Reynolds if anyone ever insults geekdom:

4100457-0531328756-tumbl.gif

Oh! Stargate - Loved them!!! I really go into the television series too. I even liked Stargate Universe, though it didn't last long. I liked how the "Doctor" was on Atlantis, made it cool. I really liked Todd!!

I do watch the Expanse and Killjoys as well!

i very recently got really into star wars !! I am also planning on watching star trek but i am to hyped up about star wars atm haha.

I have watched all the movies except episode 5(i know, it's awful.. i watched them 6 1 2 3 7 4) and can't currently see it, but I will in the coming weeks. I'm also watching the clone wars on netflix and I've ordered 5 books/comics which should come in the next 2 weeks. My fav characters are c3po(surprise surprise) and han solo.

I also really enjoy dragon age, I'm currently playing inquisition and have played 2, I have yet to play origins. For some reason I can't seem to be playing/seeing stuff in the correct order haha. my fav DA characters are dorian(inquisition) and merrill(2).

But I'm generally into sci-fi and fantasy !!

I love lots of sci-fi and fantasy stuff! Dr. Who (especially Tom Baker and all the old Doctors), Star Trek (especially Next Generation, Data is my favorite character), Harry Potter (favorite character is Snape), and more.

Lately I've been craving seeing the Peter Davison Doctor Who episodes again. But only have the Five Doctors episode and I think one other episode with him as the Doctor on VHS. The DVDs are so expensive and really don't want to get VHS tapes because they take up so much space. So I guess I will have to do without. :( Maybe I'll just rewatch my Tom Baker ones then instead.

Stargate brilliant series, I loved Tealc and Rodney and I was so sad when Universe got cut, it was just getting good, now we'll never know what happened to the crew of the Destiny :unsure:

Dr Who is also awesome, but I just can't seem to like Dr Capladi and Clara, is it just me?

Yes, I grew up on Star Trek (while it was originally airing, before it became known as "Star Trek TOS". lol). I always identified with Spock (and other people also identified me with him). I only recently started watching The Next Generation, and I'm only a couple of episodes in. I have seen a few scattered random episodes of Deep Space Nine.

I also loved Babylon 5 (but only got into in the Sheridan years), Firefly (brilliant, and cut so tragically short!), Warehouse 13, and probably others I can't think of right now. (does Red Dwarf count?) Also really enjoyed the 3 original Star Wars movies (I don't know how the numbers work) and wanted to see the new one, but haven't had a chance yet

I liked Dr. Who with the 9th doctor, but have only seen a couple of episodes with the 10th and nothing else.

That'll do for starters. This threading is already moving fast! :D

OMG...Firefly...yeah loved loved...and Serenity!

I just recently watched Doctor Who, the new ones. I binged watched them on Neflix during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years - I'm now all caught up. I haven't seen the original series however. Those may be quite cool to catch.

Currently, I'm watching the original Star Trek on Neflix. I forgot that Kirk and most of the crew were not in the pilot (except Spock).

Oh yeah Babayan 5 – oh boy! Even goofy sci-fi is good, so yes Red Dwarf counts!!

I can never talk of such things to the people I interact with on a daily basis. I remember mentioning Tremors the other day…and NO ONE knew what I was talking about. What…seriously!!!? I loved the moves and the television series.
Who loves Battlestar Galactica!!!?? I remember watching it as a kid - oh I loved it. It would be blast to watch the original series again. I remember the newer version that aired on SyFy, that was super cool too!!
I'm actually watching that episode with Captain Christopher Pike as we speak!!

I feel your pain on the geekyness front, my ID badge for work is in a Multipass case, as in "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" and no one gets it, bar one guy in stores :blink: I mean really who hasn't seen Fifth Element?

And wow B5 I need to rewatch them ASAP loved that series G'Kar was my fave, hs and Landos story was epic.

Battlestar another great, although I never got around to watching the prequel Caprica, anyone see that, was it any good?

Smeg yes Red Dwarf, we brits make awesome Sci-fi never forget it :D

Dodecahedron314

Red Dwarf for the win! I've never met anyone else who's seen it in real life, so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one :D

I'm also into all the Star things (Star Wars, Stargate, and especially Star Trek), Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, that sort of thing, as well as pretty much anything by Arthur C Clarke, Ray Bradbury, Madeleine L'Engle (I grew up on the Wrinkle In Time universe), etc., and probably about a metric craptonne of stuff I'm leaving out because I'm so busy that I've hardly had time to read or watch anything for so long. (Also, Contact. The book, not the movie, because the movie is just so much more limited in terms of character diversity, and plot, and and and...) I've also gotten into a few sci-fi podcasts lately, namely Wolf 359 (caught up, suffering through between-season hiatus as we speak) and EOS 10 (only on the first season so far).

Oh gosh, I just watched the first "Tremors" movie again several months ago! Saw that and the second one many years ago. It's kind of scary, but also funny at times too! I'd write about one of the really funny parts, but don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the movie. How do you post those spoiler button things?

Siimo van der fietspad

My childhood love of Star Wars (I was exactly the right age when the Special Editions came out) has been reignited in recent months by The Force Awakens. (Worth mentioning that even aged eleven I could tell that The Phantom Menace was a dud. Few nice spaceships, boring cut-and-paste villains who don't even get blown up at the end, never liked Jar Jar Binks and double-ended lightsabers...meh). I suspect that also being a music geek has a lot to do with this because George Lucas hiring Johnny Williams is probably the best thing that ever happened in cinema. It's a wonderful score that perfectly magpies lots of things from nineteenth-century opera and 1930s swashbucklers to bring the film alive, and I've been lucky enough to play all the important bits with some decent orchestras. But yeah, it has everything, exciting battles, cool spaceships, heroes, tension, drama, mythology.

And yet, and yet...it becomes harder and harder to really escape into this fantasy because as I've got older the commercial and business empire that dwarfs the Empire starts to leak through. It's really hard not to have the magic of the film ruined by seeing all the actors out of character getting chummy with fawning chat-show hosts, seeing merchandise and sponsorship everywhere, knowing the whole thing is propped up by ruthless lawyers and financiers.

Doctor Who I have followed nearly every episode since the 2005 reboot. There's been some variation in quality, and I will readily admit that at least some of my interest was due to the presence of beautiful Scottish ginger loveliness Amy Pond (mmh...sigh...), but it's mostly been worth watching. Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi's tenure has happily seen the removal of a lot of the awful dialogue and cloying sentimentality that has ruined British TV drama for some years now. They do seem to get the important episodes right too. It must be quite a difficult act to please British primary school kids, American teenagers and adults who were around for the original series all at once.

Star Trek passed me by completely and I wonder if I might like it now. I wasn't particularly taken with the video you posted, but I've seen bits of later series like Voyager and it seems to have a more intellectual dimension than Star Wars. On the other hand, I'm put off by a lot of the extreme geekery in the same way I'm put off by the kind of football supporters who can't accept the team has ever played badly. It is amazing how people make exact replicas of the costumes and stuff, but all the conventions and speaking Klingon and stuff...I think it's because I've always even as an adult been better at making up my own fantasies, and think it's a bit of a cop-out to just get really hooked on something that somebody else has made.

I also rather like fantasy fiction, not least His Dark Materials. Lots of philosophy, well-researched linguistically, Lyra is kick-ass and the polar bears are great too.

daveb: So...nothing happens to Pike. I actually remember the character in one of the movies...I think...right? Anyway, it just continues with Kirk and the rest of the crew in episode 2 . I'm guessing it was a network pilot thing that didn't make it or something before the series actually got picked up.

I did see Caprica. It only lasted 1 season. I liked it ok, but the BGs were better.

The costume thing isn't for everyone, and most enjoy conventions without them just fine. :) But I had fun with them. I had a friend who actually learned Klingon. He bought all these tapes back in the day. Is there a Rosetta Stone version? :lol:

Gentile Giant: To add a spoiler, click on the Special BBCode icon in the upper left, 3rd button over. When you choose select, the dropdown menu shows the spoiler option.

Star Trek-The Next Generation, X-Men: Days Of Future Past, Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings & Raymond Feist bowing_zpssa54us3p.gif

So many of those things apply to me! I'll organise them into categories so this isn't just one huge and only vaguely coherent ramble. This will go in order of how long I've been liking the broad category of things.

Computer Games: My earliest favourites were Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Lemmings, Hocus Pocus, Crystal Caves, Mystic Towers, Whacky Wheels, Adventure, Rogue, and Koules (in no particular order save for the first three; if there were sequels, sequels apply as well). Once we got Windows, it took a while for any real favourite games to add to the old DOS games -- I liked them better than the oldest Windows games. Then there came the crop that are still my top favourites: Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, Planescape: Torment, Temple of Elemental Evil, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader, Half-Life (and Opposing Force and Blue Shift), and a few that I'm not quite as fond of these days such as Tron 2.0, Populous: The Beginning and some assorted simulation games. Ah yes, and before I forget, various Zork games -- I've played and liked all from the first to Grand Inquisitor, but alas, I've never actually yet finished any of them. Similarly, I like both Myst and Riven, although I only managed to finish the first one. Then of course there are the Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind being my favourite), Knights of the Old Republic, Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights, and Unreal Tournament 2004. Getting to more recent games, Dragon Age: Origins and Medieval II: Total War stand out by a ways, but are joined by the more recent Elder Scrolls games, Empire: Total War, Total War: Rome II, and Mass Effect. Games that I like some aspects of very much but also have some rather large annoyances with include Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'm still not sure whether Mass Effect 3 goes in that list, but it probably does... and Pillars of Eternity is quickly becoming a new favourite, although I've not yet finished it.

Favourite Characters: Really, I mostly end up liking my own characters in the RPGs, and sometimes the villains. What party members and such I like tend to be dependent on which ones my characters ended up liking.

Books: I like fantasy and science fiction, and occasional other things as well. I'm probably not going to be able to name all of my favourites, so I'll just see how far I get. The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, and The Hobbit are probably always going to stand out as my top three (although the first two are basically tied for the first slot, and the third gets shuffled down at times). I'll get the series out of the way first, trying to go from earliest read to most recently: Dragonriders of Pern, the Chronicles of Narnia, the Solar Queen books, the Sherlock Holmes stories, the Cthulhu Mythos stories, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Elric Saga, the Chronicles of Corum, the Young Wizards books, the Valdemar books (moreso thirteen years ago than now, but I still like some of 'em), the Trade Pact Universe trilogy (haven't read these in a while, though), the Song of the Lioness quartet, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Nightrunner books, the Chronicles of Amber, the Morgaine Cycle, the Tamir Triad, the Cadfael Chronicles, the Faded Sun trilogy. Sort of Dune, although I like the first book much more than the others. I also really liked some of the Darkover books when I was much younger, but I'm not sure where I stand on that these days. As far as single volumes go: The Witches of Karres, The Book of Ti'ana, The Hounds of the Morrigan, Watership Down, The City and the Stars / Against the Fall of Night, Cart and Cwidder, Space Winners, Sassinak, The God Eaters, The Dreaming Tree (well, okay, it's two books in one), and then some assorted stories by Philip K. Dick, Jules Verne, Isaac Asimov, and most likely others I'm leaving out.

Favourite Characters: Fëanor, Fingolfin, Maedhros, Finrod, Fingon, Galadriel, Éowyn, Aragorn, Gandalf, Frodo, Bilbo, Lessa, Sherlock Holmes, Elric of Melniboné, Corum Jhaelen Irsai, Jhary-a-Conel, Seregil, Morgaine, Vanye, Tamir, Niun, Goth, Arafel, and Arya.

Comics/Cartoons/Graphic Novels: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are my first and favourite of those -- the original Eastman & Laird comics, although there are some of the later Archie comics run that were actually pretty decent (or at least, brilliantly weird). I also liked the Sonic the Hedgehog comics and cartoons (the SatAM ones, with Sally and the kind of post-apocalyptic atmosphere and all) quite a lot, until they kind of went over the edge around issue... gee, I forget now; whichever one they killed off Robotnik on. Aside from that, I tend to appreciate comics and graphic novels as an artform, although there aren't too many I read in paper format. There's A Distant Soil, and Watchmen, and a few assorted things I've got lying around, and then I read a lot of webcomics. The Order of the Stick is the one I read the most consistently, but there are a bunch of others. This is already getting long, so I'll leave it at that. Oh, cartoons -- Rocky and Bullwinkle and Danger Mouse are the main ones, really.

Favourite Characters: Raphael, Knuckles, Vaarsuvius, and DM.

Roleplaying Games: I started with an AD&D version one/two blend, and I still like that. My main go-to games for some time now have been third edition D&D and then also MERP (supplemented with additional Rolemaster stuff). I like Traveller, but I've never managed to get a group together for it, and although I've played the occasional Vampire/Mage/Werewolf game, I've never got a good group for that. I wanted to start up a Call of Cthulhu game a while back, but people moved and that fell through. Huh, I just now realised that I've been playing RPGs for more than twenty years. Not nearly so long as some people I know, of course!

Movies: Star Wars (all to some extent, the prequels much less so), Indiana Jones (haven't seen the latest), The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, Dr. Strangelove, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Stargate, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan, Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Mouse That Roared, Repo Man, 2001: A Space Oddysey, Bladerunner, Highlander, Tron, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Men in Black, Serenity, The Call of Cthulhu, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Matrix, Tron Legacy, assorted Godzilla films (not to be taken too seriously, naturally), and several other films that don't really qualify as any sort of sci-fi/fantasy/etc.

Favourite Characters: Leia, Luke, Han, Darth Vader, Lord Whorfin, Ra, Khan, Morbius, Gort, HAL 9000, The Kurgan, Tron, Jareth, the Skeksis as a whole, Godzilla... and suddenly I realise that this list is almost entirely "what character is the most fun to watch". I don't tend to get as attached to movie characters as book characters, so that's pretty accurate.

TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (the original, darn it), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Xena: Warrior Princess, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Angel, Star Trek (TOS), The Avengers (hey, sometimes it probably counts as sci-fi), The Prisoner, Danger Man/Secret Agent (yeah, I'm just throwing in spy shows now), and Mission: Impossible. I watch a lot less TV than I read books or play games.

Favourite Characters: The Cylons in general, Buffy, Willow, Spike, Angel, Faith, Illyria, Xena, Spock, John Steed, Emma Peel, and John Drake.

Aaand that was probably excessive. Oh well!

RPGs! I played D&D, and I also remember getting really into the characters of the team! Even when we were not playing, our characters were the source of many conversations and jokes, especially inside jokes that no one else got!! I played D&D the most, but Battletech, Middle-earth, Star Wars, and Star Trek were a few others I played too. All the RPGs I played were totally old school. Ya know with modules, a big table grid map and dry erase marker, dice, and figurines. I'd always have my bag of dice with me, and during any down time, I'd role up some characters. I often got odd looks from passerby's. I haven't played in a while though, but I miss it.

The characters really make the game, of course! I know some people who mostly just use them as avatars or combat stand-ins, but that's just nowhere near as fun for me. I still play with drawn out maps, figurines, and more dice than one can sanely shake a stick at (okay, that's probably true of the figures, too; I like to have the right dice set and the right figure for each character). Dry erase markers are very helpful -- definitely an improvement on pencilling everything out! That also reminds me that I have played some Star Wars RPGs from time to time, but I haven't had a decent game in them either. I like putting people through a few select modules from time to time (heh, I have an odd fascination with Tomb of Horrors and Return to the Tomb), but mostly I write my own campaigns. I have fond memories of some other modules, like Keep on the Borderlands, Eye of the Wyvern, and Web of Illusion.

What Middle-earth RPG was it, do you remember? I haven't played any of them other than MERP (stands for Middle-earth Roleplaying), although I know there have been a few others.

I guess I don't know the exact name...I thought it was just Middle-earth. :) I mean, of course, I'm assuming that there were a variety of modules - I couldn't tell you the name of them unfortunately. When I played, it was in the early 90s. It wasn't played much, though. D&D was defiantly the game of choice followed by Battletech. Similarly Star Wars and Star Trek were not played as much either. There was one guy who did a fabulous job as DM, and none of us could top him. I wrote a brief campaign in my attempts. It was cool, but no one was begging me to write more. :D

Dodecahedron314

While we're on the subject of games, I forgot to mention that I've also been getting into Magic: The Gathering recently, since it's a pretty big thing in my dorm. I've only got two decks so far, both the result of drafting, one a fairly decent red-black and the the other a freshly-drafted, utterly terrible black-white deck which I just got done getting my butt kicked with. -_-

On the subject of steampunk and books there are a few series I really like, including the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences books by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris, Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series and her YA Finishing School series, James Blaylock's Langdon St. Ives series, George Mann's Newbury and Hobbes series. These are all more "traditional" steampunk, in that they mostly take place in the UK and/or many of the main characters are British. They are either pretty much pure adventure and/or have a certain amount of humor or light heartedness to them, even when things get pretty wild for the characters. I have read several steampunk anthologies, too, and find a fair few of the stories don't really appeal to my taste (being too "out there" for me, I guess).

I also read some of books by Jules Verne, Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Rice Burroughs, etc., that could be considered proto-steampunk - or maybe more accurately, the "real deal" science fiction of the day (in some cases, before anyone had even come up with the term science fiction).

There are a number of sci-fi writers, past and present that I almost always enjoy - writers like H. Beam Piper, Keith Laumer, Harry Harrison (especially his Stainless Steel Rat stories), Poul Anderson, Gordon Dickson, Isaac Asimov (not just his sci-fi, but also his science fact writings, his mystery stories, etc.), Toby Smith, Jerry Pournelle, Fred Saberhagen, Christopher Anvil, Steve Perry, and assorted others. Ray Bradbury is in a class by himself, and I like some of his writings. Some of Andre Norton's, too.

Firstly: the typed code for spoiler tags is [spoiler ] take out the spaces [/ spoiler]

I'm a long time SF/F fan. Long before I ever watched Star Trek, my first introduction to science fiction was on the newly minted Nickelodeon channel in the early 80s via the British original The Tomorrow People (I've never seen the 90s series and the less said about the CW series the better). My first movie in the theater was Empire Strikes Back and is still my favorite, and the best, of the Star Wars series.

A small list of favorites:

Frank Herbert's Dune, the original six books, The Godmakers, and The Eyes of Heisenberg

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkasigan Saga and the Chalion books

Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series

Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant

Jim Butcher - Harry Dresden

Chris Farnsworth's Cade series - when is he getting back to them?

Justin Gustainis - Occult Unit Investigations series

John G. Hartness has a number of stories that are good.

Tanya Huff: Vickie Nelson, Tony Foster, Summon the Keeper, The Gail Women, all series

P.N. Elrod: The Vampire Files series

Terry Pratchett: Discworld

And wide variety of other books too.

Rewatchable movies/TV shows:

Doctor Who (including the Cushing movies), Galaxy Quest, Mystery Men, The Shadow, Firefly/Serenity, Buffy/Angel, Babylon-5 (which pushed DS9 out of the spotlight for me - I've never gotten into that series of Trek), X-Files, The Real Ghostbusters, Men In Black (cartoon series too), various iterations of the X Men (movies/cartoons), Red Dwarf, some Blake's Seven (another Terry Nation series - same guy who gave us the Daleks), Supernatural, Grimm, Heroes, Gravity Falls (which, disappointingly, is not available on DVD) ...

While we're on the subject of games, I forgot to mention that I've also been getting into Magic: The Gathering recently, since it's a pretty big thing in my dorm. I've only got two decks so far, both the result of drafting, one a fairly decent red-black and the the other a freshly-drafted, utterly terrible black-white deck which I just got done getting my butt kicked with. -_-

Magic! I knew there was something I was forgetting. I have my decks sort of split between the online client and actual physical space, because there were a few years where I completely stopped playing, and during those years all my Magic Online decks went out of circulation so there was no point in trying to redeem them. In online, I've mostly got red/black decks going, although I've got some that are just black, and one that's green. Physically, I've got a few red, green, and black, and then the black/white life transfer deck which is the only one I purpose-built rather than flinging together cards from different decks.

I still have a huge collection of RPG stuff (2nd Ed AD&D, Pendragon, Gurps, Rifts, In Nomine, Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge)... and various random bits and bobs) back from when I still had money for such stuff (by means of a well-off and generous grandma). I guess it'd be worth a good bit to collectors... easily in the mid-high four digits, especially with some stuff being rare and out of print by now. But I can't see myself part with any of it, it's more likely that it's gonna be paying for my funeral some day. :p

Haven't actually played since the turn of the millennium, though. I'm too busy playing computer games, especially since I have access to the net.

My favorite movies are the Star Wars movies, some are better than others, though I actually like Episodes II and III of the prequels. As for the new one,

I was a little disppointed with it, seemed to basically be a retread, plot didn't develop that well, but it had some things going for it as well, including cool references to past Star Wars-- but cool references do not a great movie make. Still, enjoyable enough.

Also, enjoy some Star Wars games, particularly Rogue Squadron and Jedi Knight. And Star Wars books.

I finally finished The Lord of the Rings, except... I still haven't finished the appendices and don't know for certain if I will, but overall it's been a great three volumes.

I really like what I've read of Harry Potter. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is also fantastic.

If I had to pick one favorite author, I'd probably go with Ray Bradbury. Unique writing style. Some great stuff.

I watch some anime, don't enjoy it all, but watch an amount. Death Note is amazing as are a few others.

I'd like to get into comics a bit, but I have the impression that there's a bit too much repetition/sameness to American superhero comic books. Still, some of them might be worth a look-- started The Dark Knight Returns, which seemed okay. And I have a whole 2 issues of comics I've read from back when-- hopefully they're still around anyway. A Silver Surfer comic and one called Deathlok, about a pacifist fighter (he doesn't kill.) I remember him making some statement about how it doesn't matter if you're black white, gay, straight. Good stuff.

I like an amount of sci-fi, but I don't read the actual hard stuff. Certainly not hard hard sci-fi... currently, I'm reading Foundation, anyway, which-- I don't know if that'd be considered hard sci-fi or not, but it's not hard anyway. It's pretty good, but I'm assuming it's one that would be considered better for its time? Real life can be rather boring, so I've liked the idea of sci-fi from a young age-- first sf book I read was My Teacher is an Alien by my childhood favorite Bruce Coville.

Firstly: the typed code for spoiler tags is [spoiler ] take out the spaces [/ spoiler]

That's even easier - thanks for posting!!

I've played Magic too! I was super into it for a while. It was so long ago, I didn't even know people still played!! It seems like most games now are computerized. The nice thing is that you can play with an online community or by yourself. Not as fun playing D&D by yourself old school style. However, I do enjoy moving my guy around, rolling my dice, and waiting in anticipation form the DM to see if my spell was effective. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing....kinda like people who prefer to listen to vinyl vs iTunes. :P

Archived