Coming Out

awesomepolyglot

awesomepolyglot

I'm biromantic and (surprise of the century) ace. I'm out to most of my friends and my twin sister. I really, really want to come out to my mom, but I'm terrified. I'm pretty sure that she'll be okay with it, but thinking seriously about coming out brings me to tears. She hopefully wouldn't kick me out (I am a parasite who cannot work or drive legally at my age) and she hopefully won't be harsh. She knows about many of my gay friends and hasn't ever said anything openly pro- or anti-gay, but she doesn't know that I'm in my high school's GSA. I'm not planning on coming out to my dad for a while; he got angry at gay Dumbledore, how would he feel about me? I'm just terrified that I may ruin our relationship. She was disappointed when my brother outed my siblings and I as atheists and I'm scared of a repeat performance. I keep almost doing it; in my home state of TN, a bill was discussed the other day that could have banned marriage equality. I want to say something about "not having lost rights," but I feel like that could be foolish. I'm sorry that this post is a syntactic train wreck, but I'm terrified of a rejection.

So: how should I come out? I feel like it's something I need to do relatively soon, but I'm completely terrified.

Apologies to the mods for having to put this where it belongs. I'm new and have no idea how to do anything, much less on mobile.

It's completely normal to be terrified of rejection, and there is no ideal way to come out. When I came out, I had a friend over who set me up to come out to my Mom. This was planned ahead of time, and we had a signal in case I decided to abort the idea.

Best of luck to you.

For me, it's been different for each person. The best advice I can give is do it when you're ready. If it's not right for now, you don't have to do it. If you really feel like it's the right time, then go for it. I've found that people take it more lightly if I treat it as a small thing. But like I said, it's different for everyone. Good luck, and know that we support you, no matter what you decide to do.

awesomepolyglot

I feel like it's something I need to do. I sometimes can't decide if I'm crying because I want to come out or because I'm scared of it. I might send her the Coming Out Song and hope for the best.

I did it! Mom, if you run across these forums, I just want you to know that I'm sorry I posted here, but I was just really, really freaking out.

Yeah! Congrats! How did it go?
awesomepolyglot

It went great! She was completely fine with it. As I was going up to bed a few minutes ago, she hugged me and told me thank you. :)

And I feel like addressing her was kind of awkward, but she did express interest in learning more about AVEN, and I fear that I've made myself too recognizable.