Asexual in a Dating Sim

SithLord

So not sure if this is the right place to post this but if it's not, please move it.

I found out one of the romance options in the game Magical Diary is asexual, or at least most likely is, when going through the TVTropes page on Asexuality. Here's my evidence:

*SPOILERS*
When Ellen is rejected by William you have the option to change the subject and ask Virginia which boy she likes. She says no one. You ask her about girls. She says “No, I don’t like anybody that way.” Ellen asks her why and she replies, “Maybe I have high standards?” (To me the question mark is very telling.) Your character says she must like someone even if she doesn’t realize it, to which she replies, “That makes no sense at all.”

Later on, Virginia is thinking about romance and says she can’t imagine wanting to be in a romantic relationship. Then if you ask, “Do you like me?” she says she doesn’t know. She says, “I mean, of course I like you! But – I don’t really know how… If I want something different, something that’s not a stupid romance but more than just friends… how does that work?”

She says later that she likes cuddling and holding hands and that kissing “wasn’t so bad”, but then she says she’s afraid of going to the dance with you because she thinks you’ll want sex afterwards. Then when you promise not to do anything because it’s a bad time she replied “What if it’s never a good time?” and “What if I never want to do that? I’ve tried to think about it, and it should be exciting, right? But it just seems weird. Do you still want to go out with me, if I’m maybe never going to want you like that?”

Once I played through that this game went from awesome to my favorite dating sim yet, just because of the progressiveness. There’s a romancable demon named Damien that’s interested in you and goes after boys too, though it’s not sure if he’s just messing around or actually attracted. William is either bi- or gay (he swore off girls apparently but you don’t hear that from him). Virginia is asexual. Jacob has two dads. Characters tend to avoid gendered pronouns unless talking about a specific person, especially if you have a lesson on it in White Magic class, with the pronouns being “e, eir” etc.

CaesiousSilver

I don't normally play dating sims, but I'm half tempted to check this one out just for the ace rep. 8)

If we are on this subject of "dating simulation games" there is a game I heard about called Backstage pass that has an asexual romance. It's a hidden route with a guy named Alvin.

Evidence:

"Everything you said about wanting to talk, and share, and be together? I feel that way too. And if we feel that way about each other, that sounds a lot like love to me."
"But what about all the other things? All the stuff I'm supposed to feel?"

"Supposed to feel? There's no rule out there that says it's not love just because you don't want to kiss me."

He's always thinking of Sian, just doesn't have physical desires like most people.

Even the creator of the Game Says Alvin is Ace, so no hidden messages here.

preorder_cover.jpgBackstage_Pass_Card_10.png

If we are on this subject of "dating simulation games" there is a game I heard about called Backstage pass that has an asexual romance. It's a hidden route with a guy named Alvin.

Even the creator of the Game Says Alvin is Ace, so no hidden messages here.

Definitely going to have to check that game out then as soon as I can afford it.

Truth and Lies

Oh! I've played Magical Diary, though I never finished Virginia's route. I had the exact same feeling about her, too. ^_^

Archived