Does anyone know of any books/movies/shows with asexual main characters?

Red Panda Banana

If you're looking for an anime title, I suggest The Twelve Kingdoms. It's centered around a girl that was chosen to be an Empress to a kingdom sets in fantasy world. People and animals alike are born from trees so there is no concept of sex to procreate. The whole story is very aromantic and mainly with female perspectives, focused only on characters' growth, politics, morals, and loyalty. It's also available as novels, which I personally recommended, but the anime is just as excellent.

Supposedly the main character from the comic supernormal step is Asexual, I haven't read it though.

Yep! If you enjoy long, crazy fantasy stories it's a good read. Here is the first page, and here is where the main character Fiona explains telephones and how to talk to parents! (as you can see, the art gets better over time)

• Like 1
Hermit Advocate

I think that Vetinari form Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is asexual. Though this is vague and not confirmed I like to think it's true.

• Like 1
aLittleFickle&Chipper

A webseries called the March Family Letters actually has a cannon asexual and she actually admits to being asexual on the show. Like out loud. And the series totally got asexuality right! I was so excited I had to pause just to freak out. So yeah, that's pretty awesome! The show itself starts off admittedly pretty bad but gets really really good at the halfway point. Totally worth it in my opinion.

• 8 months later...
jehoshabeath

Has anyone seen the Star Trek (Original Series) episode Is There in Truth No Beauty? I feel like the female character, Dr. Miranda Jones, is aromantic/asexual.

^_^ Thanks for starting this topic! It caused me to think about the books I used to like to read as a child, and realize, "So, that was the reason why I liked YA science fiction/fantasy books that didn't feature any sexual characters: it was another clue that I was asexual!"

I remember my mother scolding me at least once, when I was a pre-teen or early teen, telling me that I needed to stop reading books for younger children and start reading books that were for kids my age. Now, I understand why I was reluctant.

I did read a lot of books as a child (basically, almost all YA science fiction/fantasy books from the 90s were comfortable for me to read), but these are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. Of course, this was before asexuality became more widely known, so the characters don't explicitly say that they're asexual, but, it was all I had, growing up, as far as reading about nerdy characters who were similar to myself.

So, here was my "asexual" reading list, growing up. :D

• "Goosebumps" series
  • "Animorphs" series 
  • "Harry Potter" series
  • "Artemis Fowl"
  • "Darren Shan" vampire series
  • "Harriet The Spy"

Now, the following list features books that had romantic, sexual characters, occasionally, but, since they weren't graphic, it didn't gross me out as much as a teen, so I tolerated it because I was more excited by other characters or focused on the mysteries.

• "Eragon" series
  • "Shannara" novels

Although I haven't read it myself, I've heard the novel Every Heart A Doorway has some good asexual rep in it ^_^

I think Sheldon Cooper is asexual while his girlfriend Amy is demisexual. It's been confirmed by Matt Smith that the 11th Doctor is asexual, but I also think that the 12th Doctor is asexual too.

I just read this awesome book recently, for young adults! There's a character in it that's ace, and even though he's not the main character (there is no main character!) he's and essential part of this story. The novel also includes many great topics such as pan sexuality, sex drive and attraction! It's called the Seven Ways We Lie

YES YES YES! I have a webcomic for you, if you're the webcomic type. It's called Starhammer and the main character is acearo!

"Every Heart A Doorway" by Seanan McGuire. The main character is ace in exactly so many words. Also it is a very good novelette. 

• Like 1

Jughead. But the ace community ONLY likes asexual characters who are in sexless relationships, not characters who don't want to be in relationships. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

My favorite webcomic, Widdershins by Kate Ashwin, has a major character (Jack "Mal" O'Malley, a cranky vagrant who suffers from the ability to see spirits) who's aro-ace.  His orientation hasn't come up in the comic itself yet, but the author has confirmed it and says it's going to be mentioned later in the current storyline. 

LauraSusanJohnson8888

I am an ace author, and I'm at work on the 3rd novel in a trilogy series which includes a bunch of shorts to supplement it. It's called THE HOUSE ON GLASS BEACH. The series includes a titular house in Fort Bragg, California that is first discovered in this third book, which is called ARMOUR. The first 2 books were gay romances, but in telling the entire story about my life, I have made it a point to make the last 2 characters in this saga completely and totally asexual and agender/genderqueer, which is who I am.  I am at work on it, and my editor wants it turned in by Christmas 2017. It's been a very hard write because it's about the horrible mental abuse I've suffered from my parents, my dread that someone would abduct and murder my siblings, my hatred of puberty (because I'm asexual/agender and puberty represents your body's enforcement of an exterior representation of one of those genders and you don't WANT THAT!) and my PTSD, therapy, and slowly putting myself back together.  It's a fictional story, not a biography, so it's about 2 "boys", just like my other 2 books. But there is no sex, only love. It's romantic, not sexual or even erotic. It's all based in a lifelong friendship that began when they were 11 and 6 years old. There is no cyborg behaviour. No Sheldon Cooper childishness. No Dr. Who stuff. No Sherlock. There is a crime in this book, but any crime solving you see is done by police. The 2 main protagonists will be searching, not solving anything. They are the brother and the brother's best friend of a missing 7 year old child. They are not superheroes or machomen, but also not children or idiots. Their search will last for years, decades, and the pain will slowly age and kill them, just like any pain or disease does to all of us. My goal for this book? I want Derek and Lloyd to be the first ace "parents" or 2 of the first ace parents in a novel to feel real, to let the world know that our community is made of human beings, and that we've existed since the beginning of time. This particular piece is set from the late 1940s and ends in 2015, right around the time gay marriage is legalised in the United States, and one adopted son is able to marry the man he fell in love with.

Clariel by Garth Nix (main character is DEFINITELY aro ace, but the words aren't used)

Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Omsbee (main character is het ace, and that is very much a key part of the plot)

Just now, Decus said:

Clariel by Garth Nix (main character is DEFINITELY aro ace, but the words aren't used)

Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Omsbee (main character is het ace, and that is very much a key part of the plot)

By the way, although these are both young adult novels, I would definitely recommend Clariel it is the prequel to the Old Kingdom series (published in the 90s, inspired lots of modern high fantasy) 

• Like 1
Charlie Weasley
On ‎22‎.‎01‎.‎2016 at 8:05 AM, Thranduil said:

Sherlock, in the original books. The BBC TV series however, has not made Sherlock ace, because according to the creator, it's "boring".

As for other characters, off the top of my head, I don't know. Besides my own, unpublished works.

I think asexuality and the things Sherlock has said about romance make/would have made the character all the more interesting

Charlie Weasley
On ‎26‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 9:21 PM, RD_the said:

"Every Heart A Doorway" by Seanan McGuire. The main character is ace in exactly so many words. Also it is a very good novelette. 

can one find it online?

The Drafting Ninja
On 8/17/2016 at 5:34 PM, Hey you in the corner said:

I think that Vetinari form Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is asexual. Though this is vague and not confirmed I like to think it's true.

I second the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett.  A few characters aren't stated as ace but have some very ace moments.

Examples below:

Spoiler

One character gets stranded on an island where Amazon like tribe lives.  The women offer him any sort of pleasure he could wish for.  His response "Mashed potatoes".

Then there's Death, Polly Perks, and Granny Weatherwax.

• Like 1
The Drafting Ninja
21 minutes ago, Charlie Weasley said:

I would have mashed potatoes and sausages with spice.

I think they were simply buttered in the book.  Too bad it wasn't cake.  Though the character himself isn't ace, just that moment.  There are others that can be read as asexual like Venitari, Death, and others that are sprinkled about in the series.

21 hours ago, Decus said:

I would definitely recommend Clariel it is the prequel to the Old Kingdom series

Chronologically, its story is before that of the earlier books in the series. But it's about a supporting character in the other books, so it doesn't introduce the main storyline of those. I wouldn't recommend to read Clariel first. I read the series recently for the first time, in order of appearance, and felt that was the best choice. You can see how the author develops the inner workings of the magic from book to book, with ever more detailed descriptions.

Flowertheflower

If you're into manga, there's this series called Bloom into You. Here is the description:

"Yuu has always loved shoujo manga and awaits the day she gets a love confession that sends her heart aflutter with bubbles and blushes, and yet when a junior high classmate confesses his feelings to her...she feels nothing. Disappointed and confused, Yuu enters high school still unsure how to respond. That's when Yuu sees the beautiful student council president Nanami turn down a suitor with such maturity that she's inspired to ask her for help. But when the next person to confess to Yuu is Nanami herself. Has her shoujo romance finally begun?"

Though i don't know how it ends, I am pretty sure Yuu could be ace.

AwfulHoneymoon

Scarlett Johannson and Bill Murray in Lost in Translation have an asexual thing going on, even though the characters themselves are not ace.

On 23/01/2016 at 9:57 AM, EggplantWitch said:

The only piece of media I know with a canonical asexual main character is the webcomic Shades of A, but it's nsfw as hell which, ironically, makes it hard for a lot of asexual people to read. The character of Catherine in the webcomic Sister Claire is also canonically asexual. She's not the main character and the asexuality is only really talked about in the backstory pages, but fortunately she's still a very important character and the backstory pages are wonderful to read (though I'd recommend going through them after you finish getting up to speed with the main comic should you choose to read it, due to spoilers).

And hey, if you wait a couple of years I'll have published my book with two asexual main characters :P

Supernatural Step's .ain character is canonically aromantic asexual (the author actually uses these words). It's a webcomic about a girl who gets trapped in a paralel universe with loads of magic and is trying to go back home. It's one of my favoirite webcomics, with a huge cast of colourful and memorable characters.

• 1 month later...
Treesarepretty
On 9/3/2017 at 8:33 PM, Zebigbos said:

Supernatural Step's .ain character is canonically aromantic asexual (the author actually uses these words). It's a webcomic about a girl who gets trapped in a paralel universe with loads of magic and is trying to go back home. It's one of my favoirite webcomics, with a huge cast of colourful and memorable characters.

You didn't mention that this actually comes up in the main body of the comic when she gets hit on by another major character rather than just the character profiles. I assume that is something a lot of people on here can relate to, if not to the fireballs and stuffed animals that can turn into real assholes. 

I think that Motoko Kusenagi (The Major) in the tv series and movies of Ghost in the Shell is supposed to be asexual. In the movie it is shown that her prosthetic body does not have genetalia, even though she probably could have chosen one that did.

*spoilers*

In the end of the first season there is a scene where she and Batou, a co-worker who has had a crush on her for a while, share a night alone together that is implied to be intimate and completely non-sexual. When I first saw that scene I was confused because I thought they were going to have sex, but then the thought occured to me: why would they? what would it mean to them to have sex since they are both mostly prosthetic anyway? It would be, to borrow a phrase from xkcd, like sticking a dildo in a fleshlight. 

Isnt 'the fabulous Amelie from Montmartre' asexual? At least I recall an odd sex scene, where Amelie is starfishing and not really getting, what is going on, as her partner bones her!

• Like 1
On 22/01/2016 at 3:48 PM, Andiamo said:

The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy by Elizabeth Moon (Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, Oath of Gold). Though the words are not used (the author probably didn't know them) the main character is very clearly described as aro ace. I would highly recommend these books! They're fantasy/adventure about a girl who escaped an arranged marriage by joining a mercenary army. And it just gets better from there.

Though she did somehow regret not doing more with Saben... but in general I would agree that it's one of the rare books where there are very few mentions to no mentions at all of relationships whatsoever. But you have to like fast forward moving fantasy books that don't divulge much about the world they are set in :)