Little Mentions 2016

CosineTheCat

• 2 weeks later...
Marshmallow Tree

The TV show "Plebs" mentioned asexuality, but got it wrong and confused it with celibacy :|

"I always thought he was fully asexual, like a monk or a (?)plate."

Confused or compared?
It says right there.
I'm asking if you know the difference because the sentence looks to me like it may be comparing similarities. Sometimes people do that when explaining something. Ya know.

I believe confused is accurate. The quote says that the person is completely asexual, "like a monk or a plate(?)."

I think the point they're trying to make is "I always thought this guy was asexual. As in, the way that monks are asexual." This would be confusing asexuality with celibacy, as monks are celibate (some monks could be asexual, but the requirement to be a monk is celibacy not asexuality). The connotation is monk=asexual, guy=asexual. In truth, monk=celibate. And then they said plate (most likely). Which is asexual and celibate, but it's also purely meant for comedic effect so doesn't really deserve further analysis...

So, yes, it's a comparison, but an inaccurate one as they confused celibacy with asexuality.

And if it wasn't obvious enough, this person kindly made it even more clear.

• 5 weeks later...

18257_288963591447352_328486050167013782

Finding more offhanded comments about asexuality like this on FB and it makes me happy. I'm not sure if the people posting these are fully aware of what asexuality is, but I like that it can be posted alongside the rest of the LGBT without people questioning it.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

I was watching the Nostalgia Critic's Making Of the Ghostusters review, and I heard one of the actresses say she was demi-sexual... I am not sure if it was something sarcastic or not (they were talking about SJWs, because of all the drama surrounding the Ghostbusters movie) and everyone was shouting (it was a blooper), so it was hard to make out what she said around it.

At bus stops in Oslo I noticed that the LGBT (or something similar to that) health-center for youth have ads. Now they listed many sexual orientations and gender identities, and Asexual were mentioned in big letters.

• Like 2

Asexual featured in census of the heart, a non-scientific poll

http://www.censusoftheheart.comfor preliminary report

Of those who answered asexual, 67.11% identify, 21.05% as male and 11.84% as other.

Of the total, other was 1.1%, female 72.5% and male was 26.4% of respondents. Other allowed a text box to write a response with 81 different genders used in it

Interesting in the Irish version, the question on asexuality, the word is eighneseach

I'm not sure how many said asexual/eighneseach as an answer

• Like 1

In one of danisnotonfire's recent videos, he was answering questions from his viewers. Around 3 minutes in, he gets a questions about asexuality, and gives a pretty good answer :)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Danish onlinepaper article about not oweing anyone an explanation about your queerness but tell people to educate them selfs, includes asexuality in the sentence: "Heteroseksuelle, lær om homo-bi-pan-a-seksualitet, men uden at forlade sig på minoriteterne."

http://politiken.dk/debat/ECE3455701/ciskoennet-hvid-mand-eller-kvinde---du-har-ikke-krav-paa-min-historie/

In the most recent episode of Dear Hank and John (an advice podcast hosted by Hank and John Green), a question was answered about how to navigate hanging out with couples as an aro ace person who is single by choice. It wasn't a question that was talked about for very long, but the way it was treated as a normal thing was very cool :)

Link: https://soundcloud.com/dearhankandjohn/069-live-from-nerdcon-stories-w-karen-hallion

• Like 2