Does height matter?

Chihiro

I don't care all that much, but it was more important to my ex, who claimed I was the "perfect" height for them. They were 5'8" or so and I'm 5'4". So I think it might depend on how people can be intimate comfortably with someone else, whether it's kissing or whatever else. I don't know. It seems ridiculous.

I'm only 4'11'' so I suppose it would be harder to find a partner who was shorter than me. But I have always liked to joke about getting married to a really tall guy so he could reach things for me. In the end, it doesn't matter all that much, but for a lot of people height really does matter. It's a natural thing. Most girls want a guy who is taller because a lot of them are actually attracted to a bigger, more dominant partner, while guys are usually attracted to shorter women because they like to be the dominant ones themselves. And biologically speaking, it makes sense since your average man is likely to be bigger and stronger than your average woman. This isn't always the case, but it is definitely more common.

I guess to me it doesn't matter so much. I'm 5'6" so pretty on the tall side for a girl, and while it is one of my insecurities I've dated people both taller and shorter than me. My current partner is an inch shorter than I am. We joke about it but it's never been an actual issue for us. In fact it's kinda easier in some senses being closer in height.

I'm only 4'11'' so I suppose it would be harder to find a partner who was shorter than me. But I have always liked to joke about getting married to a really tall guy so he could reach things for me. In the end, it doesn't matter all that much, but for a lot of people height really does matter. It's a natural thing. Most girls want a guy who is taller because a lot of them are actually attracted to a bigger, more dominant partner, while guys are usually attracted to shorter women because they like to be the dominant ones themselves. And biologically speaking, it makes sense since your average man is likely to be bigger and stronger than your average woman. This isn't always the case, but it is definitely more common.

So jealous of you. I'm 5'2'' but I'd love to be shorter <3

I can't see what the fuss is about, but attraction is a strange process. Nobody I know has ever said of another person " I don't fancy them they're too tall/short for me".

In extreme cases I suppose canoodling may require one person to have to bend down, but a 4'10" friend has a 6'3" partner, so love can overcome height.

I have heard a theory, unproven, that tall people are attracted to shorter people and vice versa as part of a natural balance to keep the general population within a fairly narrow height range.

I'm around 6'1", and I could care less about what height my partner is (my gf as of right now is around 5'4").

Though, I do have this weird liking towards people who are short, but I guess that has more to do with me not wanting to be tall haha.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I would love it if my hypothetical partner were the same height or a little bit taller than me, as I have this cute image in my head of us two giant women strutting around everywhere arm in arm, intimidating the easily intimidate-able, but at 6ft tall it's pretty uncommon for me to find (and like!) someone my height or definitively taller than me in the first place, and even then it's usually guys.

It doesn't hugely matter, but I once dated someone much shorter than me, and it was more awkward having to bend down all the time to kiss them than it was 'cute'.

I read this Facebook conversation where a guy claimed that he loved Scandinavian countries. So his friend commented that he should get his girlfriend from those countries to which he replied, 'Never. Women are usually taller in those countries'. Then I realised that in a couple a man is most of the times taller or atleast the same height as a women. Most of the movies too portray couples in same way. What do you Avenites think? Does your partner's height matter to you? Is it a deal breaker in allosexual world? :huh:

Dont know about asexuals... but I am from India... and among many other hypocritic demands that women have... one of the absurd ones is height.

Indian women find height to be the ultimate aphrodisiac (after money ofcourse). They dont even look at a guy whose probably 5 '8 or less. Even if she's a midget.

Ive personally asked, observed, researched and checked out women's answers on facebook/quora etc. They ALL want tall guys... the guy HAS I repeat HAS to be tall.

Ofcourse other matters overpower this preference once marriage comes into picture. Then stability of husband's financial and social position and comfort at home to not do anything becomes more important.

Plus by then women have gone through so many sexual encounters with tall men that any attraction thats left is purely technical/logical and not carnal.

Height is important to me. I don't like being taller than people, for one. But my big thing is feeling protected. I feel more protected by a guy who is taller than me.

I would prefer someone 6 inches to a foot taller than me, but I'm pretty tall myself, so it's difficult to find someone significantly taller than me.

In a world where guns are legal and/or carried by muggers... where people are planting bombs for no reason... I doubt whether a taller guy can truly protect you. I find such reasons quite absurd. I'd prefer more logical reasons... even if its that you cant afford a ladder and want the guy to be tall enough to clean your ceiling fan without one.

Daniel John Sheaffer

Interesting question. I prefer dating girls that have a great and happy personality. I don't care about her physical appearance.

CaptainKhaleesi

The height thing has always been baffling to me. I mean...why? I used to complain about being short, and other girls would be quick to point out "Well, at least you never have to worry about finding a guy taller than you!"

To which I would respond, "But I don't care about that!" And they would act like I was the strange one.

However, as I've gotten older, I've found that I actually prefer short guys. I don't think I would ever date a guy who was super tall. Most girls (at least the ones I know) LOVE tall guys! Not me. I think it's just because I feel like a little kid when they're around. I feel...well, small! I don't like that. It ends up hurting my confidence. So it's not so much a physical appearance thing for me, but the way I feel around them.

Reading this back to myself it sounds so ridiculous! But it's the honest truth! :blush:

The height of my partner never particularly worried me, or the allos I know. I know that I tend to find taller people very attractive because I find height to be incredibly appealing, but in my experience it does not lend much other than aesthetic attraction

Slightly shorter women get my primary attention quite easily. - I dated way shorter ones too, but those were 2nd glimpse triggered romances. - I guess 2" shorter would be perfect for me and permit wearing heels.

Gran was taller than grandpa. I guess she had positive impact on his posture. - I only ended dangling from a dance partner during one ball. - I think I would try dating somebody taller. - No clue how it feels.

Ooh, it's not just an allosexual thing. Personally I would prefer my partner to either be my height or taller. I wonder if it's a biological thing? Hmm. . . .

For the quality of a person or a relationship, something like that doesn't matter at all. Intellectually I understand this. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop it from dictating whether or not I feel any (romantic) attraction.

The height thing has always been baffling to me. I mean...why? I used to complain about being short, and other girls would be quick to point out "Well, at least you never have to worry about finding a guy taller than you!"

To which I would respond, "But I don't care about that!" And they would act like I was the strange one.

However, as I've gotten older, I've found that I actually prefer short guys. I don't think I would ever date a guy who was super tall. Most girls (at least the ones I know) LOVE tall guys! Not me. I think it's just because I feel like a little kid when they're around. I feel...well, small! I don't like that. It ends up hurting my confidence. So it's not so much a physical appearance thing for me, but the way I feel around them.

Reading this back to myself it sounds so ridiculous! But it's the honest truth! :blush:

That doesn't sound ridiculous at all! There's nothing wrong with liking what you like, and it's good that you can be open and honest about what hurts and doesn't hurt your confidence (even if we're just on the Internet). :)

That doesn't sound ridiculous at all! There's nothing wrong with liking what you like, and it's good that you can be open and honest about what hurts and doesn't hurt your confidence (even if we're just on the Internet). :)

Would you also think that if you met a guy who says they don't want to date a girl who talks back because it'd hurt their confidence? Just curious.

I do prefer a guy to be at least a few inches taller than me. I'm rather short so this isn't too difficult to achieve. :D

Height is important to me. I don't like being taller than people, for one. But my big thing is feeling protected. I feel more protected by a guy who is taller than me.

I would prefer someone 6 inches to a foot taller than me, but I'm pretty tall myself, so it's difficult to find someone significantly taller than me.

In a world where guns are legal and/or carried by muggers... where people are planting bombs for no reason... I doubt whether a taller guy can truly protect you. I find such reasons quite absurd. I'd prefer more logical reasons... even if its that you cant afford a ladder and want the guy to be tall enough to clean your ceiling fan without one.

Logically, yes, you are correct. However, when it comes to matters of romance, it's feelings that matter the most, not logic. She is not wrong to feel more protected by a guy who is taller than her. Personally I am the same. Logically I know that height matters little in regards to protection, but that doesn't change my preferences on the matter. To put this in another way: logically I know that dating as a whole would be a lot easier if I was willing to have more sex, but that doesn't change the way I feel. You know what I mean?

Would you also think that if you met a guy who says they don't want to date a girl who talks back because it'd hurt their confidence? Just curious.

Hmm . . . well, my first comment--about nothing wrong liking what you like--was meant more towards physical appearances rather than personality. To answer your question, though, what does "talking back" mean to you? If it means being snide and rude about the things she doesn't like then no, there's nothing wrong with that; if it means speaking her mind then yes, I would say that would be a problem. The reason is because that wouldn't be a very healthy relationship at all, would it, if one person couldn't be free to be themselves? Whereas in the case of a girl preferring her partners to be shorter--well, no one's getting hurt that way, are they?

for most female profiles i've seen on online dating sites yes. for most guys no.

girls prefer taller, guys smaller. it doesn't really matter me, but i prefer she be at least 5'2''. i don't care if she's 6'5'' or over tho

Logically, yes, you are correct. However, when it comes to matters of romance, it's feelings that matter the most, not logic. She is not wrong to feel more protected by a guy who is taller than her. Personally I am the same. Logically I know that height matters little in regards to protection, but that doesn't change my preferences on the matter. To put this in another way: logically I know that dating as a whole would be a lot easier if I was willing to have more sex, but that doesn't change the way I feel. You know what I mean?

Nope. Please define what do you mean by 'feelings'. Is it an aphrodisiac. A sexual preference? For example... I prefer light skinned black females like Alicia Keys or Rashida Jones. And I will call this a sexual preference (even if we're asexuals... we all know whether we are straight gay bi and what on paper would turn us on).

So what you call 'feelings' (I know you are putting it in delicate words coz you're a woman) is actually a sexual preference.

Whereas in the case of a girl preferring her partners to be shorter--well, no one's getting hurt that way, are they?

If it were just a matter of physical preference, sure. But she said she specifically needs it because of confidence issues. That's not too uncommon in guys, especially in other cultures like the Middle East; They explicitly seek a girl who's been "conditioned" not to talk back to them, because their self-esteem couldn't take it if they were talked back to. And if the girl is conditioned that way, and will be fine with such a setup, "what is wrong with it"? Well, in my opinion it is a bad idea to rely on anything from your partner for your own self-esteem. This includes shortness. But maybe that's just me.

Height does matter when it comes to riding rollercoasters etc. if I was a rollercoaster, I wouldn't ride people

Considering I'm on the short end (just under 5'3") I'd be more hard pressed finding a guy who was shorter than me, so I've always imagined I'd end up with a guy who was, to me, tall (as in taller than me). However, there can be something as too tall if you want to comfortably kiss/hug while standing (I amuse myself trying to imagine how that'd work with someone who was a foot taller and have come to the conclusion I'd have to get a boost up like on steps or he'd have to bend down a bit). However, I've never felt the sense that tall = protection and I think that throws a lot of guys for a loop because I've had so many, both teachers and strangers, who felt the need to look out for me, then they realize "oh, she takes care of herself. Well, ok then."

Nope. Please define what do you mean by 'feelings'. Is it an aphrodisiac. A sexual preference? For example... I prefer light skinned black females like Alicia Keys or Rashida Jones. And I will call this a sexual preference (even if we're asexuals... we all know whether we are straight gay bi and what on paper would turn us on).

So what you call 'feelings' (I know you are putting it in delicate words coz you're a woman) is actually a sexual preference.

No friend, I'm talking about emotions. The feeling of safety is an emotion, and that's what I was referring to. :) What you're talking about is what I personally call aesthetic preference, not sexual. Romantically speaking I would only be with someone who is at least as tall as me, but that didn't stop me (or just about any girl I went to school with . . .) from thinking my super short history teacher was cute.

Whereas in the case of a girl preferring her partners to be shorter--well, no one's getting hurt that way, are they?

If it were just a matter of physical preference, sure. But she said she specifically needs it because of confidence issues. That's not too uncommon in guys, especially in other cultures like the Middle East; They explicitly seek a girl who's been "conditioned" not to talk back to them, because their self-esteem couldn't take it if they were talked back to. And if the girl is conditioned that way, and will be fine with such a setup, "what is wrong with it"? Well, in my opinion it is a bad idea to rely on anything from your partner for your own self-esteem. This includes shortness. But maybe that's just me.

There are many, many things that I disagree with when it comes to Sharia Law, so I'll admit that when you put it like that I'm not entirely sure where I stand. If both people were perfectly okay with that and she was still allowed to speak up from time to time (and I mean this in any situation, not just between a couple who lives in, say, Saudi Arabia), then no, I don't see anything immediately wrong with that. (You may ask about women's rights. I support women's rights, but if a woman is comfortable and even prefers to think of her husband as over her, then no, I don't see anything wrong with that. The real problem is when people start pressuring everyone around them to do just as they do. That is the problem.)

At the heart of what you're saying--which I believe is that confidence should come from within, and not be focused on everyone else--yes, I would agree with that. I do think that if your confidence is easily damaged then you should work on that, but I don't think that CaptainKhaleesi is wrong for preferring to be the tallest one in the relationship. Likely, even if she gets to the point where it wouldn't out-right bother her, she would still prefer to be the taller one. There are, after all, girls who prefer guys who are shorter.

I don't like very tall guys! I don't want a partner who is so tall that I cannot even see his face without having to turn my neck in strange positions.

To me, same height or a bit taller is ideal. The exact height is not so much of a big deal. I just love hugging people. I love being able to just put my head on their shoulders, or the side of their arms. I remember hugging a guy once, and it was nothing more than uncomfortable because of his height. My head just hit his chest and I could barely breathe.

If I ever meet a guy who is shorter than me (that would be rare as I am quite short myself!) I would be okay with it if I truly love him for who he is. It is going to look funny when I wear high heels, but who cares! If people laugh, at least I have made their day a bit better.

Sort of. I like a taller guy, I'm more drawn to guys over six feet. Don't know why. But I've dated guys shorter than me. It's not a deal breaker or anything, but I prefer it. It's just another trait. I like blondes, I like tall men, I like broad chests. In women I like dark hair, pretty lips, and slender. None of those are deal breakers, but they are all preferences.

Prufrock, but like, worse

People caring about height at all is an absolute turn-off. Not that I have an "on." Just an "off" and "very off."

Archived