chimaera

Most people assume I'm an everyday heterosexual female who just has bad luck finding men. I thought that myself until a few weeks ago.

I barely get any assumptions made about me to my face, and when it does happen it's so vague that I can easily bat it away without the need for a full on explanation. I get more questions from my students who are 16+ as they're in the period of life when sex is a big part of their lives and they're all learning about their own sexuality. As I like to keep my work and private life separate, and because of the staff/student code of conduct, it's just as easy to bat away their assumptions, although I usually do it in such a way that spurs on their assumptions which makes me laugh. I don't really care what people think though, as it doesn't change who I am and makes no difference to how I live my life one bit.

Most of the people that I know generally assume that I'm a heterosexual female who is not currently interested in having a relationship (they are wrong on both counts). I don't normally get a lot of questions or comments about my sexuality/dating, with a few exceptions here and there. Although, lately, some of my coworkers have started hinting that they think I "should really start dating someone down here," and have been dropping not-so-subtle suggestions for potential partners.

yea.. People say I'm gay but I really don't care.. It's not my fault they don't know what asexuality is and are not willing to learn more about it

I haven't gotten any assumption, but if they think I'm into some, boy, they're going to be surprised. They might be far more surprised to hear my former orientations is dead.

People either assume I have an emotional deficiency, am an alloromantic late bloomer, or am just playing hard to get when I bring up aromanticism.

Love not being taken seriously.

People probably think I'm fabulous but I'm only fabulous on Tuesdays, other times I'm busy being boring or creeping :>

One Winged Angel

I find that if working with elderly people they will naturally assume that I am married (heterosexual), to the point of casually saying things like "what does you wife do?" or similar small talk. I understand that this is merely a generational thing, but even if you mention you are not married, they will respond with some quirp like "whoo, living in sin are you?", again assuming some kind of sexual relationship. I would recommend the 'say nothing' approach (or say something that avoids the question) to circumstances like that

Waist of Thyme

I don't know if people make specific assumptions about my sexuality, but I don't really expect people to know I'm asexual because asexuality is still in the phase of gaining visibility and I don't really mention it unless it's brought up. I posted a photo for Asexual Awareness Week three years ago, but other than that the subject of sex basically never comes up in my conversations with people.

People assume I'm lazy 'cause I don't have a job/education, but I suffer from a chronic nerve disorder and severe mental issues, but since they can't actually see that I'm just a waster to them.

I'm pretty sure some assume I'm a lesbian, and I really don't care, as long as women don't come hitting on me. If they think that I'm happy to let them. I really don't care what they think. They aren't paying my rent or bills.

SpiffyParadox

Back in high school many people assumed I was lesbian (due to stereotypes like was mentioned before). And others also assumed I was goth or emo because of I wore dark clothing >_>

Now, since i'm out of that hell hole, I don't meet many people who make assumptions about me. As far as I know, aha...

People assume that I have a boyfriend. Why? Because I do not hit on guys and shy away from guys who show interest in me. And yes they notice that I usually attend social events by myself and rarely talk about dating/life-partners etc. So, they also assume that I like to keep my relationship a secret.

#Asexual-Unawareness-Problem

A few weeks ago a classmate overheard a conversation I was having with my friend and assumed "Asexual" meant "Celibate" it was awkward.

Not many people guessed that I've been single all this time...or that I'm asexual...or that I don't smoke pot. During middle school, people thought that I was lesbian just because I held a girl's hand, and during part of high school, classmates (who don't even know much about me to begin with) kept telling me to date this guy or that guy (they even tried to push a friend of mine to hook up with me and he didn't want to), so I had to fake having a boyfriend after a while.

I'd be curious to find out. I'm out to most of my friends these days, but since my family is almost completely reticent when it comes to talking about dating/romance/sex/etc, I have no idea whatsoever what they assume about me and my zero-dating history. If my sister's comment about 'oh you might change your mind about having kids one day~' comment a few xmases back is any indication, she still assumes I'm straight, at least.

.... My dad just recently found my rainbow pin in the car, which had fallen off my coat in there last xmas, though. It was waiting on the shelf beside the connecting door from the garage into the house when I was home for this xmas. I snatched it up without mentioning it to anyone, but yeah, I guess there's probably a good possibility that at least one of my parents suspects I'm a wee bit queer now. (but I would still bet money on them never bringing it up with me)

Archived