Can sexuality be a learned behavior?

HelloToYou

Ok, obviously this theory would not be accurate for everyone, but do you personally believe that for some people, sexuality is a leaned behavior? Like maybe there is someone who has a predisposition to be asexual, but because of their environment, become sexual. Do you think this has happend to people in our society without anyone being aware of it?

Disclaimer: I realize this theory can be applied to pretty much any sexuality and that there are some people that have such a clear sence of their sexuality that this theory is not even possible for them.

Orientation and behavior are different things. I don't think one's orientation is learned, except in the sense that one discovers what it is. Behavior is learned. People are not born knowing how to perform sexual acts; they learn that from thier culture or even fromself-exploration as the mature. And people of all orientations sometimes behave outside of their orientations.

boa

Yeah, I think boa's right. Not much else to add though. People learn how to behave in their orientation, or learn how to behave like they have another orientation.

Hmm, actually I can see it both ways. I don't believe that one's orientation is learned, but I do believe that part of it is. What I mean by this is that I agree with the theory that most humans are bisexual. Most then gravitate toward heterosexuality because of social influences. Granted, many of those people probably are naturally disposed to lean more toward hetero, but I think the bi part is supressed due to social expectations. And those people that are really bi (as in out about it) or homosexual are the one that have a stronger natural disposion toward those, and so they are harder to supress. I mean I have a lot of friends that either knew they were gay, but tried to change or hide it by playing straight, or that were too afraid or brainwashed to explore their feelings that they never realized they were gay until later. It took many of them a long time to realize what was missing in their lives, just why they felt the way they did. Their homosexuality wasn't learned, the mask of heterosexuality was. I think the same thing can be said for some asexuals. I'm sure there are many more asexuals out there than we are aware of, but because of both the fact that asexuality is little known, and the social stigma, people just think or try to force themselves to be sexual.

Well you can learn to act sexually and you can maybe even learn to practice sex and feign having fun while it but it wont really be you.I could even imagine that acting sexually becomes some kind of habit so basicly it's an almost yes.

Hmmm. I have a friend who's very keen for me to have sex (in a jokey way :roll:) and she is very promiscuous when she's drunk - I worry about her sometimes. But when I told her I was A she told me that that was normal - you talk to someone a bit, and then you fancy them. (This, tbh, does fly in the face of some of her behaviour). It made me wonder if she's hiding behind a slightly slutty cut-out of what teen girls are supposed to be, while being A under it - but I can't really say, and don't want to offend her by bringing it up. Ah, well. She'll sort herself out in her own sweet time.