Black Ace Ring

Blue Phoenix Ace

Ok-rather than start a new thread, I'll ask here.

I just met a couple on a cruise and noticed a black ring on the right hand ring finger of the guy.

So I made the decision that at some point I would broach the subject.

So just as I was ready, I decided to double check with Google.

The first few results told me it meant he was a "swinger"

Down the page was reference to being ace.

Well after several cocktails I decided to ask him about it.

He claimed it was a gift from his wife and had never heard of either of those scenarios.

Does middle finger vs ring finger make all the difference?

I noticed a few pics in this thread of the ring on the ring finger.

Now I am just confused.

Tase, the middle finger is for asexuality. All the other fingers are for swingers. If you google "black ring right hand middle finger", the top six links or so mention asexuality. That includes this site about the ring signifiying swingers:

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2015/01/15/swingers-encouraged-to-put-a-ring-on-itand-wait-how-many-swingers-are-there

"Q: Does it matter what finger I wear my black ring?

A: Wear your black ring on any finger but the middle one. The ring finger is the natural place for the black ring, but thumb rings are cool too. A black ring worn on the middle finger of the right hand is an infrequently used symbol of asexuality. Please avoid wearing your ring on this finger as a courtesy to that community. (See below.)"

Ok-rather than start a new thread, I'll ask here.

I just met a couple on a cruise and noticed a black ring on the right hand ring finger of the guy.

So I made the decision that at some point I would broach the subject.

So just as I was ready, I decided to double check with Google.

The first few results told me it meant he was a "swinger"

Down the page was reference to being ace.

Well after several cocktails I decided to ask him about it.

He claimed it was a gift from his wife and had never heard of either of those scenarios.

Does middle finger vs ring finger make all the difference?

I noticed a few pics in this thread of the ring on the ring finger.

Now I am just confused.

Tase, the middle finger is for asexuality. All the other fingers are for swingers. If you google "black ring right hand middle finger", the top six links or so mention asexuality. That includes this site about the ring signifiying swingers:

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2015/01/15/swingers-encouraged-to-put-a-ring-on-itand-wait-how-many-swingers-are-there

"Q: Does it matter what finger I wear my black ring?

A: Wear your black ring on any finger but the middle one. The ring finger is the natural place for the black ring, but thumb rings are cool too. A black ring worn on the middle finger of the right hand is an infrequently used symbol of asexuality. Please avoid wearing your ring on this finger as a courtesy to that community. (See below.)"

Thank for the explanation DJ Erkenfresh. The wifi on the ship was horrible, took forever to load (of course I could have done my research at home, but I figured someone here would know best). Ok so now I'll assume he was a swinger. Good for him - I guess. To each their own, right?
Blue Phoenix Ace

"He claimed it was a gift from his wife and had never heard of either of those scenarios."

Wouldn't that mean he is neither a swinger nor ace? It's just as likely that he likes wearing a black ring. :)

Love/is/love

I have one but I made it out of clay and would love to get a stone or metal one! Xxx

Forest Spirit

I'm thinking about buying a black ring too, but would it be ok to wear it on my left middle finger? I'm right-handed and it drives me halfway crazy when I wear a ring on my right hand (don't really know why..) :)

Blue Phoenix Ace

You can wear it wherever you want, but any other finger than the right middle is for the swinger culture. It depends, are you wearing the ring for yourself, or to be recognized in public as ace? If it's the latter, I think it's still unlikely to happen.

Where in the heck did you get your ring? I've been looking on etsy, ebay and amazon... Nothing.

Blue Phoenix Ace

Who are you referring to? If it's just a general question, I went to Amazon and searched for "black ring". There's a lot to choose from.

Rin-likes-rain

I have several that I made. I don't know how to post pictures. I have them on etsy, but I don't want to seem like I'm soliciting. So I'll just send a link to the isolated images.

Ace:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/135/0/10907490/il_170x135.987155589_758a.jpg

Ace of spades:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/140/0/10907490/il_170x135.987166959_gu8i.jpg

Ace of hearts:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/134/0/10907490/il_170x135.940627586_sj91.jpg

Ace of clubs:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/126/0/10907490/il_170x135.987170371_rufj.jpg

Ace of diamonds:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/129/0/10907490/il_170x135.987174857_qtwg.jpg

Rin-likes-rain

I'm thinking about buying a black ring too, but would it be ok to wear it on my left middle finger? I'm right-handed and it drives me halfway crazy when I wear a ring on my right hand (don't really know why..) :)

wear one on both. I sometimes wear a white one around my left middle finger to accompany the one on my right.

photo_on_3_15_16_at_11_35_pm_by_world_he

Second black ace ring I've had. First one was super cheap, but of course...it quickly got scratched. So after doing some research on durable/scratch-resistant metals and estimating my middle finger's size, I found a black tungsten ring at a fair price on Amazon.

I've had an uncle ask me about it before. Was too scared to tell him it meant I was asexual, especially with my mom sitting just across the table from me at the time. Ever since I had that fight with my mom about asexuality, I've been a closet ace to my family.

Does anybody find they have a problem with large gemstones getting in the way?

I was thinking about getting a pretty faceted hematite ring, but I'm not so sure now that I've hear that they break so easily. Does anybody know of anything more durable, like onyx or jade? I'm not big on fancy jewelry but I like stuff that's engraved with pretty patterns or whatever :) I might just get the hematite ring as something temporary/backup until I find something more durable or permanent.

• 4 months later...
Serpent Moon

I was thinking about getting a pretty faceted hematite ring, but I'm not so sure now that I've hear that they break so easily. Does anybody know of anything more durable, like onyx or jade? I'm not big on fancy jewelry but I like stuff that's engraved with pretty patterns or whatever :) I might just get the hematite ring as something temporary/backup until I find something more durable or permanent.

Be careful with hematite, they can shatter easy. Had a friend who needed stiches after hers did

ClockworkChemistry

I got my ring a little while ago from https://goo.gl/TFGYrw. Its great, especially for someone like me whose skin doesn't take well to most metals just sitting on it. Plus considering im a carpenter it holds up pretty good. Definitely something I wear whenever I go out in public :)

This is mine:

13925015_164498973980879_738197769350216

sorry for the crappy quality and bad lighting, I took the pic with my laptop webcam because I'm lazy, too :P

I got it fairly recently on a market, I was just walking through town and there was one stall on the market place, I looked at it out of curiosity and they were selling those. I couldn't resist -- I don't usually like jewellry, but this is perfect, simple and elegant, and it doesn't bother me. The stone is agate, I got it for 3€ ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
NyteDragonsteel

I'm trying to decide between these. What do you think?

Ring 1:

51vKhvR%2BkHL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Ring 2: The fancy one would be for fancy things, and the plainer one for every day.

51T4ShEJ3-L._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Ring 3:

5152%2BiekbOL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Or should I just stick to my LOTR one? I'm trying to have a selection to wear with different things.

NyteDragonsteel

Edited to take up less space and not ruin your lives with looking at the same thing so many times. (I accidentally posted the same thing like 5 times.)

NyteDragonsteel

Edited to take up less space and not ruin your lives with looking at the same thing so many times. (I accidentally posted the same thing like 5 times.) oops.

NyteDragonsteel

Edited to take up less space and not ruin your lives with looking at the same thing so many times. (I accidentally posted the same thing like 5 times.)

NyteDragonsteel

Here's mine :) Simple. Cheap. It's a bit scratched now but still good! I've had it for about two years and I wear it every day :cake:

blackring.jpg

NyteDragonsteel

I am SO sorry that that posted so many times! It never showed as posted and ugh.

A cheap coconut ring. I paid R$ 2 (about 0.64 dollars) for it, on a costume jewelry stand.
Unfortunately, I lost it while going to the gym last week :(
CnuvLfDXYAA3Ywy.jpg

One question that I have is I was under the assumption that the black rings were more for aro-aces (with the usual explanation of left-ring for marriage, right-ring for engagement, non-ring for single [with middle specifically to distinguish from swingers], and black rather than silver or gold or what not for "not looking" [eventually becoming solely an asexual symbol, and more specifically as aromantic]). Is this incorrect? Because I've been considering getting some sort of symbolic representation, and I had the initial idea of getting a tattoo of an Ace of Hearts, but wanted to put that off since, while I'm pretty sure I'm asexual, the specific designation of "romantic asexual" over the possibilities of Grey- or possibly demi- is not so sure, and I don't want to do anything permanent right now. But something like a black ring might be a good thing, so long as I'm incorrect about its association with specifically aro-aces

Edit: Also, because I fear I making some mistake in measuring, but I'm an 11 on my ring finger, based on previous rings I've had, but whenever I try to measure my middle finger with sewing thread, and compare it to sizing charts, I'm getting somewhere around 15.5 or so for my middle finger, which seems to be both a huge dispairity as well as larger than what most rings I'm seeing online max out at. Is this abnormal, or am I somehow messing up my measuring?

I wear the black ring. It makes me very proud to have a symbol of my asexuality on me even if no one knows what it means. ;)

And hey! Maybe one day I'll meet someone else with a black ring on and we'll be like... omg.