Asexuality: medical, psychological, or natural?

Can you trace you're asexuality to.... or could be caused by?  

1. 1.

• Hormones (i.e. I was tested, and I'm low in hormones)
    • A pill I take (antidepressant or otherwise. Any pill that is known to cause asexuality)
    • Psychological stuff... as in, abuse, etc.
    • Possibly Sexual Aversion disorder? (or the same thing, but please don't call it a disorder since it's not...it's natural!!!)
    • Don't know (never looked into it and don't care to)
    • Don't know (tried to find out, but can't find a reason)
    • I'm just the way I am, asexual!
    • Sick of person I'm with with (man/woman) or men/women in genearl.
    • A physical medical reason (like, I'm intersex, lack parts, or whatever)

Just wondering whether or not people could trace their asexuality to somting medical, psychological or otherwise. This poll is sort of an extension of the antidepressant poll, but with other options other than antidepressants, and also a natural/not traced to anything category. I hope nobody takes this personally. For example, the abuse question is just there to give enough variety for everyone. So please don't take any of this personally it's not meant to be offensive!!!!!!

No offense taken. :) I just think it's the way I am, but I am sure that there are people out there that might have other causes for their asexuality.

Lady Heartilly

Yep, just the way I am too. I've never been abused, never taken pills/drugs, and I don't have any psychological disorders that I know of.

Hm. Although, I should probably add that I have been suffering from depression for quite awhile... I guess I can't be completely sure then? However, I really do believe that this is just the way I am, mainly because I know what it's like to have a lack of interest in things in general due to depression, and the lack of a sex drive or sexual attraction just isn't the same thing to me... It's kind of hard to describe though.

It's just how I am. Concerning each of the options:

Hormones: Haven't had them tested, but I would think they are in normal ranges, as I experience normal bodily functions to be as politically correct as possable

Medication: I don't do medication

Psychological: My family was pretty loving an affectionate. I can see things in there that might cause a bit of emotional issues, but nothing that would affect sexuality.

Sexual Aversion Disorder: I doubt it's this quite a bit. I am not repulsed by sex or anything, it just something I don't think would be all that exciting.

Sick of people: Never been with one to find out. Mind you, that's not the cause of my asexuality either.

Medical reason: Nope, perfectly healthy.

It's just how I am.

Your poll doesn't have all the necessary options. I do have low hormones, at times my body produces zero testosterone. However, my body did produce normal amounts testosterone from the time I was 10 to the time I was 20, and my thoughts then were still asexual.

I am what I am,

I am my own special creation;

So come take a look,

Give me the hook,

Or the ovation.

It's my world

That I want to have a little pride in,

My world,

And it's not a place I have to hide in.

Life's not worth a damn,

'til you can say:

"Hey, World!

I am what I am!"

I am what I am;

I don't want praise;

I don't want pity.

I bang my own drum,

Some think it's noise,

I think its pretty!

So what,

If I love each sparkle,

And each spangle?

Why not try to see things from a different angle?

Your life is a sham,

'til you can shout

Out loud:

"I am what I am!"

I am what I am,

And what I am

Needs no excuses.

I deal my own deck,

Sometimes the ace,

Sometimes the dueces.

Theres one life!

And there's no return and no deposit.

One life!

So it's time to open up your closet!

Life's not worth a damn,

'til you can say:

"Hey, World!

I am what I am!"

I Am What I Am - La Cage Aux Folles

Hmm... well, there was no option for "Who cares? I'm tired of thinking about it and I wanna go play in some purple threads!", so I guess I'll just say it's just the way I am... :)

No offence taken :) I think it's an interesting idea.

To be honest, I wasn't really sure how to answer this. It was down to not caring, it's just the way I am, or medication.

In the end, I think it's really just the way I am. I'm on anti-depressants, but I was A before I started taking them.

I think that's the way for many people - some people are sexual, some people are asexual. Barring any external factors that can cause asexuality in some people (like abuse, medication, etc.), I think that's the way it goes.

It's just how I am. Concerning each of the options:

My answers are the same as Dargon's, except I *did* have my hormone levels checked, and they came back normal. And while I'm on medication now, I've known most of my adult life that I'm asexual (though I didn't necessarily know the term for it), and the meds are a fairly recent phenomenon.

I think it is just the way my brain seems to have developed. Last year I had my testosterone levels analyzed and they were on the high end of normal:

Total: 975

Free: 187

If testosterone is supposed to be some sort of wonderful, cure-all aphrodisiac, then how come I am non-libidoistic? I think sex drive has more to do with the basic template of a persons brain, and the hormones circulating through it may influence it somewhat, but they cannot change the basic hardwired pattern of the brain's neurocircuitry.

Neurovore

i would suppose we probably have lower than normal hormones, but so what, this is what we are born with!!

It's just the way I am.

The one about he medication...would the meds actually stifle a person's sexual ATTRACTION or just the ability for the body to react?

It's what I am - one of the small but naturally occuring number of people that are, essentially, born asexual.

I was under the impression that most people are born asexual, its just the small but naturally occuring number of people that stay that way?

*demands ticky boxes*

I could technically say a few of those. Yes, I do have low hormones, so low in fact that I had to go on the pill just to menustrate. But even when I was on hormones, my feelings did not change. And...I know people who have the same thing as me, who also have low hormones, but who were sexual and had healthy sexual lives. SO...no definite answer there.

It may be possible that I have a psychological disorder, rather, a sexual dysfunction. But I wouldn't know the cause of it. I was never sexually abused. My parents were really open about sex, so sex wasn't a taboo subject in my family (in fact, it was frequently joked about). The majority of my friends growing up were/are very sexual, and talk about it a lot. And the only time I'm truly repulsed by it is when someone confronts ME about sex. Otherwise, I could care less. Besides which, usually (not always, of course, but I think the trend is that...) it's only considered a problem if it actually troubles you. And it doesn't. I LIKE being asexual. I'm proud of it.

So, I would have to go with: that's just the way I am. And I'm damn proud of it! 8)

A *very* small percentage of people are born asexual tombarkerbackwards- way less than 1% (about -.5% is the figure just starting to emerge.) Me - almost certainly foetal androgenisation & lack of sufficient oxcytocin (exciting paper being compiled to be released after I'm dead.)

After enjoying over a year on this site, I am now quite certain that many people *opt* for asexuality as their preferred way of life, and all honour to their choice (which still brings us up to being somewhat less than 1% of humanity - but hooray! cheers for us all!)

:D :D :D

If there's a reason, I don't know what it is. Fetal androgenation or some other abnormality during gestation is a definite possibility, although I have no idea how it could be proved at this point. My mother had at least one miscarriage (maybe more) and my late brother was gay. Perhaps something odd might have been going on, but who knows?

I have been subject to depression for decades, but I don't think it has anything to do with asexuality directly. It might be a side effect due to the social isolation that tends to accompany being asexual, but it might just as well be due to aging or other matters.

-Greybird