Any Discworld readers?

Perfectly Pointless

Perfectly Pointless

I'm a pretty avid reader, and I absolutely love Terry Pratchett's writing, particularly Discworld.

I haven't read that many of them, I've just started reading Equal Rites and the idea of a world similar to our own where the views are very sexist and where a female is accidentally put into a position of power a really good one. It seems funny and gripping so far, although I'm kinda missing the antics of Rincewind and Twoflower.

So, uh, questions. Which is your favourite book? Why?

Is there a particular character who you can relate to a little?

Is there a character whom you feel disconnected from? A character you don't like?

Are there any theories or concepts in the Discworld that you like? Any reasons why?

I would ask to try and keep this as spoiler free as possible, as I myself and many others, I expect, haven't progressed that far in the series. But I'm really looking forward to progressing further.

Ooh! So you're reading them in order? Well, then, I've got great news for you!

Speaking as someone who's read them all except one or two I haven't ever physically found, I think you're reading Pratchett at his worst. His early books aren't bad, but he definitely hasn't hit his stride yet. The Discworld series is only going to get better.

Esme Weatherwax in Equal Rites? She's a pale shadow of Esme Weatherwax in the later books. (Rincewind's just about the same.)

This isn't a real spoiler because it's general, but Discworld can sort of be read as a series as a bunch of interconnected storylines. Some books focus on Rincewind, some on the witches of Lancre, some on Death, some on the Ankh Morpork City Watch, some on characters that are basically only protagonists for one book, etc. Rincewind and Twoflower will return, but they won't be an every-book occurrence.

I think my favorite novel in the series is Night Watch, or perhaps Monstrous Regiment. Not gonna discuss them further because spoilers.

I've also cosplayed Rincewind for cons and Halloween. I made the hat myself out of scraps and sequins.

YES YES YES YES!

-Reaper man, because Death is the best character and it just adds a whole new depth to the world, whilst also showing the best side to the Character DEATH.

-I kind of relate to Death, he was a fairly morbid and cruel character at the start of the series, but slowly learns what it means to be human, and constantly tries experiencing it. His house is a human house, but without wind and I think he never got the concept of windows or doors xD Either way I think it's a great personification of how sometimes you can see how great something is, and you can partake and have fun, even though you'll never truly understand the meaning behind it. (sorry for the tl paragraph) xD

-I don't care for the Witches, but I never gave them a fair try, they look like they might be fun if I gave them half a chance.

-I dont know what you mean by like (as in can they be translated to the real world, or if I just enjoy them), but I love the 1 in a million rule, and Carrot the Dwarf being a really tall Human... (The Captain Vine series are as good as Rincewind, I'd recommend them). And Cut-Me-Own-Throat-Dibbler... I love everything really, it's so well made.

If you've not read many, I would honestly recomend you try and read them in the Discworld story order, it will make much more sence to the world and adds subtle (and obvious) levels of character development :) Now I feel like reading them all again... Hmm...

Muahahaha. Pratchett fanboy, right here.

So, My favourite book is still Night Watch, which I'm re-reading again. I like the rather dour atmosphere to the whole thing, and the very pithy comments on the idea of revolution. Character ... hm, hard to say. I'm not a huge fan of Twoflower, if I'm honest. Like a lot of things in the early books, his concept is a bit dated for my liking.

The best aspect of Discworld to my mind is that it's a silly setting that explores real world ideas and issues, especially in the Watch series. Pratchett was a master observer of human nature, which means his characters are just as often virtuous as they are evil. A running theme might be that an awful lot of his characters are basically decent with a few flaws

I've also cosplayed Rincewind for cons and Halloween. I made the hat myself out of scraps and sequins.

I demand pictures of this hat.

Perfectly Pointless

Speaking as someone who's read them all except one or two I haven't ever physically found, I think you're reading Pratchett at his worst. His early books aren't bad, but he definitely hasn't hit his stride yet. The Discworld series is only going to get better.

Esme Weatherwax in Equal Rites? She's a pale shadow of Esme Weatherwax in the later books. (Rincewind's just about the same.)

This isn't a real spoiler because it's general, but Discworld can sort of be read as a series as a bunch of interconnected storylines. Some books focus on Rincewind, some on the witches of Lancre, some on Death, some on the Ankh Morpork City Watch, some on characters that are basically only protagonists for one book, etc. Rincewind and Twoflower will return, but they won't be an every-book occurrence.

I think my favorite novel in the series is Night Watch, or perhaps Monstrous Regiment. Not gonna discuss them further because spoilers.

I actually started by reccomendation, when my uncle said that he thought I would enjoy them and lent Guards! Guards! To me, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I then decided I'd start from the beginning, because I'm just picky like that.

Ah, ok. So they aren't in 'sectors' like I imagined? I was kinda assuming it was like the book equivalent of 'archs'.

Cosplaying as Rincewind sounds pretty fun. He's a character I kinda relate to, too, with the whole 'failure' thing and how he feels like a lot of bad things happen to him but he seems to get out of them. Also, he's just a funny character in general.

Perfectly Pointless

If you've not read many, I would honestly recomend you try and read them in the Discworld story order, it will make much more sence to the world and adds subtle (and obvious) levels of character development :) Now I feel like reading them all again... Hmm...

I have read them up to the third in the correct order, and asides from that, I have read Guards! Guards! Which was good, and that was the book that got me into the series.

Perfectly Pointless

Muahahaha. Pratchett fanboy, right here.

So, My favourite book is still Night Watch, which I'm re-reading again. I like the rather dour atmosphere to the whole thing, and the very pithy comments on the idea of revolution. Character ... hm, hard to say. I'm not a huge fan of Twoflower, if I'm honest. Like a lot of things in the early books, his concept is a bit dated for my liking.

The best aspect of Discworld to my mind is that it's a silly setting that explores real world ideas and issues, especially in the Watch series. Pratchett was a master observer of human nature, which means his characters are just as often virtuous as they are evil. A running theme might be that an awful lot of his characters are basically decent with a few flaws

I haven't read that yet, but I'm really looking forwards to being able to read the later books, as apparently they get a lot better. Twoflower was one of the characters I wasn't so fond of myself, either, although I didn't particularly dislike him, and I thought that his simple mindedness contrasted quite well with Rincewind's character, and I found myself laughing quietly while reading a lot of their back-and-forth dialogue.

And yeah, I agree with your comment about the comment about running themes. I've noticed that from reading the first two.

I actually started by reccomendation, when my uncle said that he thought I would enjoy them and lent Guards! Guards! To me, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I then decided I'd start from the beginning, because I'm just picky like that.

Ah, ok. So they aren't in 'sectors' like I imagined? I was kinda assuming it was like the book equivalent of 'archs'.

Cosplaying as Rincewind sounds pretty fun. He's a character I kinda relate to, too, with the whole 'failure' thing and how he feels like a lot of bad things happen to him but he seems to get out of them. Also, he's just a funny character in general.

It's sort of like TV arcs but jumbled? If you look at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Bibliography

Under the 'groups' column in this chart it basically shows what characters each book focuses on. Reading every book in order isn't necessary, but it does make sense to, for instance, read Guards! Guards! before Men at Arms, since they both focus on the City Watch. It's unnecessary, though - each book is pretty much a standalone except the first two. The rest are all self-contained connected stories, so reading them in any order works. I wound up just reading the books in the order I acquired them - I started with Interesting Times, followed by Reaper Man, Lords and Ladies, and Sourcery - so I read them all thoroughly out of order and it was great.

I think Pratchett's best writing is around the midpoint of Discworld - some of his later work is a little heavy handed and repetitive, and the earliest stuff is a bit rough around the edges. That said, it's a tremendously fun series!

As for my favorite book, I don't know! I love Esme Weatherwax, so her books are appealing, but I think some of the later books with a character you haven't met yet (Going Postal, Making Money) are pretty clever. And the Watch books are always fun. Shrugs. Maybe Lords and Ladies, because I love when fairies/elves/whatever are portrayed the way they are there.

Esme is the best character! She's great. I love everything about her. Headology is the best. She has an incredibly high standard for what constitutes witching, and no one quite lives up to it, which I appreciate. She suffers fools worse than anyone. <3. Of added interest to those of us here, there's great reason to read her as asexual - and you can pretty much take your pick of whether she's romantic or not. My favorite part of her character is how hard she works to expose the best and worst of everyone around her. *continues effusing*

I hate Rincewind. Sorry. He's incompetent, which is fine, but he mostly doesn't even try to do things well or right, due to his cartoonish level of cowardice. Ugh. He has some okay comedic value, but mostly I'm just sick of him.

Discworld witches are the best magic practitioners of all time.

Perfectly Pointless

I think Pratchett's best writing is around the midpoint of Discworld - some of his later work is a little heavy handed and repetitive, and the earliest stuff is a bit rough around the edges. That said, it's a tremendously fun series!

As for my favorite book, I don't know! I love Esme Weatherwax, so her books are appealing, but I think some of the later books with a character you haven't met yet (Going Postal, Making Money) are pretty clever. And the Watch books are always fun. Shrugs. Maybe Lords and Ladies, because I love when fairies/elves/whatever are portrayed the way they are there.

Esme is the best character! She's great. I love everything about her. Headology is the best. She has an incredibly high standard for what constitutes witching, and no one quite lives up to it, which I appreciate. She suffers fools worse than anyone. <3. Of added interest to those of us here, there's great reason to read her as asexual - and you can pretty much take your pick of whether she's romantic or not. My favorite part of her character is how hard she works to expose the best and worst of everyone around her. *continues effusing*

I hate Rincewind. Sorry. He's incompetent, which is fine, but he mostly doesn't even try to do things well or right, due to his cartoonish level of cowardice. Ugh. He has some okay comedic value, but mostly I'm just sick of him.

Discworld witches are the best magic practitioners of all time.

I can't wait to get my godforsaken exams over with so I have more time to crack on with reading the series, because I'm really enjoying it. It makes me think pretty hard about anything and everything.

As for reading characters as asexual, I absolutely love it when I can interpret a character as asexual. Since asexuality isn't widely known throughout most fandoms, it's always fun to share my asexuality headcannons and theories with other people, however they react.

I don't mind! You don't have to apologise! This is the reason I created this thread, so we can get a discussion going. I haven't really seen anyone talking about this stuff much so I figured I'd find all of you and have a nice chat. I can see where the unappealing side of Rincewind would be, and personally I agree that his comedic value is only an okay. I find that it's the way he clashes with other characters like Twoflower that I really find his character amusing. I find the apathetic, sarcastic side of his personality the thing that makes him a character I have a regard for, personally.

As for the witches, I can't wait to read more about them! They look like such a fun part of the series.

My favourite book of them all is Night Watch - it's just perfection. It's Vimes' apotheosis, a character that is probably my favourite out of them all. It's probably one of Pratchett's darkest books, there's very little humour and some bits that are really quite frightening, but it's all the better for that in many ways. Time-travel and revolution and pre-Vetenari Ankh-Morpork... Just thinking about it makes me want to do a re-read XD.

Close seconds - The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal.

A character I never really liked... Hmm... I don't think there are any. Maybe Susan at times, but even then I really like her as a character too. Pratchett creates fantastic multi-faceted characters that aren't perfect, but feel very real in a world that is very odd most of the time, so it's hard to think of one that I don't like in some capacity...

Great quotes (or ones I can think of off the top of my head)

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

"Million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten"

The whole bit in Hogfather about why humans need to believe in things that aren't real.

Vimes' Boots Theory of Socio-Economic Unfairness

Hard to select a favorite book, because a lot of them are my favorite.

Love the concept of telling directions on a flat spinning disc. Hubwards, rimwards, turnwise and widdershins - which actually make sense, because you could direct someone somewhere with them.

I think my favorite character is the Patrician, Lord Vetinari. He is such a twisty-minded politician that he makes real politicians look like simple-minded children.

Favorite quotes I keep finding uses for:

"Never build a dungeon you couldn't get out of."

"Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off."

"Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it."

Perfectly Pointless

My favourite book of them all is Night Watch - it's just perfection. It's Vimes' apotheosis, a character that is probably my favourite out of them all. It's probably one of Pratchett's darkest books, there's very little humour and some bits that are really quite frightening, but it's all the better for that in many ways. Time-travel and revolution and pre-Vetenari Ankh-Morpork... Just thinking about it makes me want to do a re-read XD.

From reading what I have of Guards! Guards! Vimes seems like a good character and I would definitely love to read more of the books that focus on the City Watch. I love darker literature so I feel I would probably enjoy it too - and quite a few people have mentioned it here. Perhaps that should be my next read?

From reading what I have of Guards! Guards! Vimes seems like a good character and I would definitely love to read more of the books that focus on the City Watch. I love darker literature so I feel I would probably enjoy it too - and quite a few people have mentioned it here. Perhaps that should be my next read?

I would definitely read the other Watch books first. With most of the Discworld books, chronology doesn't really matter but with Night Watch it's kind of important. I think even if you don't read the others first, it's still a really enjoyable book, but it's going to be much more meaningful if you're all caught up.

Perfectly Pointless

I would definitely read the other Watch books first. With most of the Discworld books, chronology doesn't really matter but with Night Watch it's kind of important. I think even if you don't read the others first, it's still a really enjoyable book, but it's going to be much more meaningful if you're all caught up.

Okey doke. I'll read the Watch books next when I get the chance. Which one is the first one, might I ask? I feel like I'm asking silly questions by now. :unsure:

Guards! Guards! is the first book, so you're onto a good start XD.

This chart does a pretty good job of explaining which books belong to which series.

The only book I've read was Moving Pictures, which I thoroughly enjoyed because I love movies and there were some interesting themes in it.. And also I have the graphic novel which has The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic in it. And it's nice to actually see the characters for a change. I really should pick up another book in the Discworld series, but I already have too many things to read and watch and not enough time *cries*

Perfectly Pointless

Guards! Guards! is the first book, so you're onto a good start XD.

This chart does a pretty good job of explaining which books belong to which series.

Ok, thanks for your help ^-^

Perfectly Pointless

The only book I've read was Moving Pictures, which I thoroughly enjoyed because I love movies and there were some interesting themes in it.. And also I have the graphic novel which has The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic in it. And it's nice to actually see the characters for a change. I really should pick up another book in the Discworld series, but I already have too many things to read and watch and not enough time *cries*

I can relate with the not having enough time to read and watch everything I want to. I'm trying to balance shows, manga and anime along with a lot of other books. I'm into the Throne of Glass series which is amazing, and I'm on the third book but I just don't have the time... Eh. I'll get around to it eventually. I always do.

I love the Discworld series. I have only read maybe half of them so far, as I like to read other books in between. I'm not sure I have any particular favorites. The earliest books (especially The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic) were spoofs of the fantasy genre in general. Later books get more into spoofs and commentaries on more specific aspects of fantasy, or of the real world, or whatever else Pratchett took a fancy to write about. The Witches books are good, and so are the Watch books. I haven't read any of the ones about elves/elfs yet. I have read the 2 or 3 Tiffany Aching ones, which feel like they are more rooted in British folklore and mythology, while still being very much Pratchett.

possible spoiler regarding death

The most recent book I read was Small Gods, which didn't have any of the usual "main characters", except for a cameo or two from DEATH (which happens in other books from time to time, too).

(I also have various maps, atlases, almanacs, guidebooks, and the Science of Discworld books (which I have read))

I think Pratchett's best writing is around the midpoint of Discworld - some of his later work is a little heavy handed and repetitive

I have to agree there. I thought that Unseen Academicals was rather trite at the climax. Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown rather read like him desperately trying to cram as much worldbuilding into the series as possible before Alzhiemers finally got him - understandable, but they don't hold a candle to, say, Going Postal and I Shall Wear Midnight

Astrochelonian

Terry Pratchett is my favorite author. He really has amazing characterization and his books are funny and plotty. I like the Watch books the best, though Ponder and Agnes are the characters I identify with the most.

I think Pratchett's best writing is around the midpoint of Discworld - some of his later work is a little heavy handed and repetitive

I have to agree there. I thought that Unseen Academicals was rather trite at the climax. Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown rather read like him desperately trying to cram as much worldbuilding into the series as possible before Alzhiemers finally got him - understandable, but they don't hold a candle to, say, Going Postal and I Shall Wear Midnight

His post-Embuggerance novels are definitely less good than the ones before he was diagnosed, unfortunately. I think his best books are between Mort and somewhere around Thud!/Making Money territory, peaking between The Truth and Going Postal. That's the vast majority of the Discworld books and even beyond that, none of them are bad.

I agree with all of this. Not that I've ever cosplayed, but I was thinking of how to cosplay Rincewind not too long ago.

I have read most of the Discworld books... I think. :D They really vary for me; some are a lot of fun, but others can be a little more dreary (sorry, 'Snuff' wasn't much fun). Death is great here! I like the witches because they seem to get the funnier writing. I also like the later inclusion of vampires and Igor(s). I'm not sure which time period the books were better because I've read them very much out of order. 'Monstrous Regiment' was fun. The first book I read of his was back when I wasn't very familiar with Discworld - 'The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents'. :D

Perfectly Pointless

I have read most of the Discworld books... I think. :D They really vary for me; some are a lot of fun, but others can be a little more dreary (sorry, 'Snuff' wasn't much fun). Death is great here! I like the witches because they seem to get the funnier writing. I also like the later inclusion of vampires and Igor(s). I'm not sure which time period the books were better because I've read them very much out of order. 'Monstrous Regiment' was fun. The first book I read of his was back when I wasn't very familiar with Discworld - 'The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents'. :D

I think death is such a clever and fun character in this series. Plus, the whole over-description of how deathly his voice sounds always makes me laugh a little. I like nothing better than a running joke. I haven't read much of the witches but it seems funny from what I have read.

I think death is such a clever and fun character in this series. Plus, the whole over-description of how deathly his voice sounds always makes me laugh a little. I like nothing better than a running joke. I haven't read much of the witches but it seems funny from what I have read.

When you're further through the books I would heartily recommend The Art of Discworld - a lot of Paul Kidby's art. He gets Death spot on

Perfectly Pointless

When you're further through the books I would heartily recommend The Art of Discworld - a lot of Paul Kidby's art. He gets Death spot on

I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks for the recommendation ^-^

Oh, yes, the art books are great! Kidby is an awesome illustrator, and I love his characterizations (his Eastwood-esque Vimes is spot on). I even like Kriby's garish cover art (the ones on the British paperbacks).

(I forgot, I also have a few pewter miniatures, including Death with cats and frying pan, and the Librarian (ook!), that I picked up during a trip to the UK some years ago. When I start adding it all up I guess I have a nice little Discworld collection of assorted items.)

Archived