Asexual Health

OK, probably going to sound like the mother of all stupid questions, but it's been bothering me for a long, long time.

Back when I was in high school the girls naturally talked a LOT about sex, and I sort of knew there must be some cross in my wires because it just didn't interest me all that much. Anyway, I remember one girl who insisted that "if you don't use it, you'll get sick". I know it's an absurd notion, but it got me thinking about something: does anyone know if health can/might suffer for lack of sexuality? Does anyone think that physically, asexual people are weaker or stronger than sexual people, or that the body feels it's missing anything on a chemical level? Just wondering...

Lady Heartilly

We had a sexologist on here who pretty much explained that in this post:

http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=11930

As for the question of what happens if you never masturbate or have sex if you don't feel like it? Like I said earlier, it's been shown that charging up the body and filling the pelvis up with excitement and blood but not releasing it leaves congestion in the area. I would guess (and this is where I go completely unsubstantiated and am making somewhat educated guesses) that if you're not experiencing physical arousal in the body, then blood isn't gushing to the area and engorging the vessels and getting stuck. It might make sense that not experiencing arousal at all and having your body at an even level of functioning would be more comfortable and make for better functioning than being sexual but not having an orgasm. I guess one point I'm going for is that there's a difference between masturbation/sex/sexual activities and orgasms. It seems reasonable to me that more important than the debate of sex/masturbation/orgasms is the relationship and connection that you have with your body and it's needs. If you're not repressing anything and just don't feel like doing it, there's no reason why you should.

So if you don't feel a need for sex or masturbation then you're fine.

Anyway, I remember one girl who insisted that "if you don't use it, you'll get sick".

That is one of the dumbest things I've never heard. Virgins of any and all ages get sicker than sexual people? What the hell? I haven't been sick in 3 years. When I DID get sick, after again not having been sick for years, I got the flu. I was one of the last people in my dorm to get it, even though it had been going around for 2 months, and when I did get it, I only had it for 3 days when everyone else had it for a week. Sick my ass. I don't eat, sleep, or work out right, but the one thing I have going for me is my immune system. When my ex and I were together, she would get sick ALL the time, both from her daugher and from the kids she worked with. I'd go so far as to kiss her on the lips and drink from her cup, and still never got sick.

I think she was referring to something even stupider than that like onset of cancer due to lack of use or something. I agree it does sound stupid, but was wondering if there was ANY scientific base in it or if it was just talk.

Btw, I too am generally healthier than the sexuals around me. Maybe a nice perk, dunno. 8)

I haven't been sick for quite a while, either, although I credit taking massive amounts of Vitamin C. ;)

I've never heard of getting any serious illnesses from never having sex or masturbating, although I have heard a few guys joking about how 'it' will shrivel up and fall off if not used. I think they just want to use that as an excuse to rut like mad.

If anything, I seem to be healthier overall than most of my peers. Lack of exposure to STD's is one obvious factor, but very limited exposure to children is, I think, a bigger one. Children are like walking petri dishes when it comes to incubating and transmitting diseases.

-Greybird