Should we have an animal symbol?

DeathKnoob

Someone suggested this several years ago, and tried to sell a teddy bear as a symbol.

Consider this: someday you will be 40 years old, or even 50, or 60. Will you want people to connect you as an asexual with a cartoon dragon? Because by that time, asexuality won't just be AVEN; it will be known to everyone as a serious orientation.

Being associated with cake is bad enough, but as I am almost 51, a teddy bear would be embarrassing. No offence, Sally. ;) I don't dislike teddy bears, at all! *Hi, Ted!*

We need something adult and serious.

Something that there aren't a lot of.

Something to be reckoned with, or, at least taken seriously.

We need something adult and serious.

Something that there aren't a lot of.

Something to be reckoned with, or, at least taken seriously.

Like a dragon. Lol. J/k. I have to say I agree. And if we are going the "grown up/serious" route, it might me a good idea to scrap the animal mascot idea a all together?

I don't know. Just an idea.

Being associated with cake is bad enough, but as I am almost 51, a teddy bear would be embarrassing. No offence, Sally. ;) I don't dislike teddy bears, at all! *Hi, Ted!*

I don't dislike them either, but as I'm even older than you, I really don't want to be associated with a stuffed animal.

2nd nomination...the Orca. Typically 'matrilineal'; living in complex, cohesive, groups [the 'pod'] and they dine on fish-and-squids. :ph34r:

I don't dislike them either, but as I'm even older than you, I really don't want to be associated with a stuffed animal.

:D :D :D

Autumn Season

A cat-dragon! :D

cat_dragon_1.jpg

s-Dragon-Cat.jpg

custom-dragon-costume-for-my-cat-1419682

52745877e691b26f6daec58e_736.jpg

707df8c2f130051f1d75ad502a3c1838.jpeg

Or something more serious:

900x586_2596_My_Dragon_Cat_2d_fantasy_ca

A dragon would be cool, because just like dragons, aces are awesome. But maybe we should do an animal that very few people realize actually exists, because that happens to aces a lot. Our animal mascot isn't a myth. We're a myth.

I'm thinking the narwhal. Because it has a horn, like a unicorn, people would assume it's a myth. But no, it's real. And aces are real too.

Scottland uses the Unicorn as its national animal, and its real.

Someone suggested this several years ago, and tried to sell a teddy bear as a symbol.

Consider this: someday you will be 40 years old, or even 50, or 60. Will you want people to connect you as an asexual with a cartoon dragon? Because by that time, asexuality won't just be AVEN; it will be known to everyone as a serious orientation.

Gay people are associated with rainbows. Queer people use unicorns (the gender unicorn is really cool). This hasn't had a poor effect on either group. In some ways, it has been beneficial because the mainstream see us as less threatening. Rainbows in particular are great at defusing bigotry, as was seen when the rumor of the "Gay Agenda" became a big thing. There are a lot of rainbow memes that have either "buying milk" or "making the world fabulous" on them.

It is part of the reason that cake is a symbol. It is amusing and non-threatening. Humor operates both as a weapon and as a shield for minorities, which is important because they help protect us from violence. We make up a rumored 1% of the population and we have faced historical violence. There were asexual movements in the 1800s. They didn't end well.

So when people go "asexuals are deviants. What do they want?" and we supply "cake!" we've diffused the situation. Humor is a tactic that helps us operate in way that doesn't create an immediate backlash. So being seen as 'mature' so people can take us seriously might be an end goal but I'm not sure we are organized enough to handle that kind of social pressure.

I'd suggest any animal/bird whose quality is like most of us here : rarity in the population.

Goblin moths! No one believed the guy who found one for years after he discovered them, they are super rare, and they are super cool looking!

927f56c9a29864af5029ee8f4398d3d9.jpg

Calamity Jim, we sure are rare like Goblin moths but I bet many of us look far hotter than this guy :-D

Calamity Jim, we sure are rare like Goblin moths but I bet many of us look far hotter than this guy :-D

What? I think he's adorable! I wish I were that cute. ;)

Autumn Season

There were asexual movements in the 1800s.

There were? Where can I read more about this?

I've always thought dragons were the best bet.

tumblr_ntwqhpa6Z01s423d9o1_540.png

5084550_350.png5084551_350.png

3514059_350.png5906235_350.png

tumblr_no1qtlMWIF1s423d9o3_500.pngtumblr_no1qtlMWIF1s423d9o4_500.png

tumblr_no1qtlMWIF1s423d9o1_500.pngtumblr_nuq6j9QePZ1recge2o1_400.png

tumblr_no1qtlMWIF1s423d9o2_540.pngflat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Autumn Season

Narwhals narwhals swimming in the ocean, causing a commotion, cause they are so awesome!

That would be pretty BA as well. And good catch on the whole "mythical being" thing. :)

tumblr_mg45asWkHq1qbh26io1_500.jpg;

;)

Fun fact: In medieval times people used to find narwhal horns lying around and this is how they came up with the idea that an animal with a horn - a unicorn - existed!

I've always thought dragons were the best bet.

tumblr_ntwqhpa6Z01s423d9o1_540.png

5084550_350.png5084551_350.png

3514059_350.png5906235_350.png

tumblr_no1qtlMWIF1s423d9o3_500.pngtumblr_no1qtlMWIF1s423d9o4_500.png

tumblr_no1qtlMWIF1s423d9o1_500.pngtumblr_nuq6j9QePZ1recge2o1_400.png

tumblr_no1qtlMWIF1s423d9o2_540.pngflat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Did you draw those? They are awesome!!!

Being associated with dragons didn't seem to hurt the rep of all the kings and queens of medieval europe. They put them on all their coats of arms!

Being associated with dragons didn't seem to hurt the rep of all the kings and queens of medieval europe. They put them on all their coats of arms!

I said "cartoon dragon". People in medieval days weren't certain that dragons didn't actually exist, and some of their legends had knights slaying dragons. The dragon was a symbol of evil and danger.

There were asexual movements in the 1800s.

There were? Where can I read more about this?

The data is hard to find. I stumbled across it via tumblr. The Spinsters were a social group that helped out the suffragists, but once that got handled they were left on their own at the hands of the masses, who didn't like em.

• 1 year later...

I was looking around and found this... was anything agreed upon? If not... 

-I would suggest taking the unicorn. Looking at the legend itself wouldn't aces have a closer tie to said creature? 

-otherwise perhaps the nudibranch? 

Asterion Orestes

Sally:

The dragon was a symbol of evil and danger.

Then there's the Eastern/Chinese dragon, commonly associated with good stuff.

Of course I'm already a (brittle) starfish. :)

Animals... - I envision something cuddly practically defining it's sexual orientation as "tree upwards" with  an "Eeeeep!"

OK I am only in my 40s but I like my ted & if we are ever demanded to show up with partners for a corporate x-mas or such, I'll dig it out and let it peep out of my backpack. - Dunno, what else than teddies or such should a romantic associate with the people they desires to sleep on? My last ex had a lot of that appeal (& for unknown reason the darn bear had always dropped out of bed when I woke up).

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 10:48 AM, Tja said:

Giraffes are perfect

I know this is an old post, but I just have to say that I (unfortunately) know something about giraffe mating behaviors, and...um...please no.

8 hours ago, Linh Cinder said:

I know this is an old post, but I just have to say that I (unfortunately) know something about giraffe mating behaviors, and...um...please no.

Actually, I was making a joke:

Giraffes are perfect......as they're head and shoulders above the crowd. ;):D

Welcome to AVEN, @Linh Cinder! :cake:

HonoraryJedi

I really like the dragon, and have considered it something of an asexuality symbol, even though the idea might not have been that widespread. In that case, all orientations were given mythical creatures, but I only remember the unicorn for homosexuality, the dragon for asexuality and the griffon for aromanticism. I don't have much of an opinion regarding a real animal for a symbol, I think I'll stick with the dragon for myself, because it is awesome and I have always loved them^^ Having a dragon as a symbol feels like a reward.

On 11/25/2015 at 11:17 AM, Oddball-Meo said:

I would say cats because so many people here like cats but then again, their not known for being very asexual.

How about starfish? They're known to reproduce sexually and asexually if I'm not mistaken.

leatherstar.jpg

starfish.jpg

It fits so perfectly. 

im-not-too-sure

If we go with dragons I would love to see some art of a black/grey/white dragon that's breathing out purple flames cus you know.. the flag and stuff. Also it's possible for hammerhead sharks, whiptail lizards, and komodo dragons to reproduce asexually but it's not their go-to method.

LittleGoody2Shoes
On 11/25/2015 at 1:29 PM, Mermaidy said:

lol i think a dragon is a good idea, since most people don't believe they exist while likewise they don't believe asexuality exists..lol.. but I do really love dragons

Do mermaids reproduce asexually?

Archived