Androgynous clothing and where to find it

Brel

I searched, but can't find a similar topic. Does anyone know a good store or area to find gender-inspecific clothes? And what types of clothes are best for the androgynous look? Having an androgynous body and mind, I'd really like to hear. Thanks! :)

My body is pretty obviously female, yet I still manage to achieve the androgynous look without trying too much. As for clothes, I tend towards "male" clothes, but that seems to work pretty well for me.

My basic wardrobe includes:

BDU (military-issue) cargo pants/shorts

cutoff khaki shorts

Dockers slacks from the "men's" section

"men's" t-shirts

thermal shirts

baseball caps

a couple hoodie sweatshirts

button-down "men's" shirts, both "formal" and flannel

"men's" footwear

That's the sort of stuff I go for. I'll get shirts and hats with stuff on them (bands, theatre shows, certain athletes), but I tend to stay away from certain male-specific logos or designs.

I've heard that "men's" clothing tends to be more androgynous than "women's" because it is looser and less form-fitting. Also, there are many high-fashion styles for women based on menswear, except edited to be stupid and sexual, not to mention pantsuits for women and so forth, so women wearing actual menswear isn't such a huge cultural stretch (at least compared to men wearing evening gowns). Plenty of cisgendered ("normal") women put a small amount of clothing made for men in their wardrobes just for days when they are feeling especially casual and want actual pockets, pants that don't chafe, shirts that aren't built to accentuate their breasts etc. Also, Slatterly tells me that the sizing system for menswear is much more reliable.

Generally, it's my impression that truly androgynous clothes are pretty tricky to find - but most androgynes achieve their look by mimicking the styles of the gender that they were not born into. So an androgynous biological female might cut hir hair short and wear a lot of menswear, and an androgynous biological male might grow hir hair longer, shave hir legs, and wear more makeup. The idea is not to do it to the point of actually being in drag (not that there's anything wrong with drag), but just to the point where it's difficult to tell what gender you are. I think.

I've had my hair cut short for about 14 years now, and you saw my clothes list. I get mistaken for a guy every now and then, but it doesn't bother me. It never has. It doesn't even bother me when people get outright confused and ask me. As for the drag stuff, I've done it. Except for one thing, it's fun.

BDU (military-issue) cargo pants/shorts

Hey, I'm wearing a pair of those right now!

And a sweatshirt that looks like it's been to Hell and back. But that's because I'm cold. :D

I have a fairly decent range of both women's and men's clothing, so some days I'll dress "normal" -- that is, more female -- and some days I'll dress in a less feminine way. Nothing beats suits, though. I have two, and I'm getting a grey one that has skirt and pants for Christmas. (And my mother was amazed when I was like "Well... I'd like something not black". I had wanted the white one, but they didn't have it small enough to fit me.)

Thanks for the replies!

I myself (being biologically female, but mentally much more) have always worn and loved baggy clothes: hooded sweatshirts and cargo pants being most favored for their warmth and comfort factor (and I wear a larger T-shirt under my sweatshirt). I have longish hair, but it's always been rather uneven and unkempt, hence not very feminine. I'm thinking about cutting it to chin length soon, though (pageboy is soo andro! :D ).

Anyway, I was specifically thinking of clothes that are more formal than those I listed: something along the lines of "glam-androgyne" (w00t, new gender-related term!), like Johnny Depp's Willie Wonka (okay, maybe not that formal, but you know what I mean). And I really like robes. Unfortunately, they're not prevalent in Western society. Anyone know where I can look and have things to recommend?

Anyway, I was specifically thinking of clothes that are more formal than those I listed: something along the lines of "glam-androgyne" (w00t, new gender-related term!), like Johnny Depp's Willie Wonka (okay, maybe not that formal, but you know what I mean). And I really like robes. Unfortunately, they're not prevalent in Western society. Anyone know where I can look and have things to recommend?

I always aim for a more androgynous look (though unfortunately I'm more recognisably female) and I generally buy men's clothing, but like you say, that's not really the glam look.

Have you thought about looking at Goth clothing sites? When I want to spoil myself and get an outfit for something special, I go to http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk and drool over their stuff!

They don't have robes as such, but they do have capes! :)

Ummm . . . I usually go with men's Dockers slacks, a button-down shirt with or without a tie, "nice" shoes or boots (I prefer men's mostly 'cuz I have high insteps), and my trusty black wool Stetson.

I think it tends to be mostly baggy clothing that looks more androgynous and yes that does strangely seem to be mens clothes. I am biologically male but even some mens clothes can be tight and hardly comfortable.

As for the long hair think, i am trying to grow my hair longer to look more androgynous, unfortunately my hair goes spikey when it gets longer so i look like someone ripped out of an anime cartoon. Which may or may not be a bad thing.

Most of the clothes i wear are usually just t-shirt, joggers / jeans and usually ordinary boring hoodie but thats the sort of stuff i have always worn and i think most of it has been either brought online or at this goth-style shop in the town i live in.

Have you thought about looking at Goth clothing sites? When I want to spoil myself and get an outfit for something special, I go to http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk and drool over their stuff!

*DROOOOOOOOOOOOL*

I think I just ruined my keyboard.

"glam-androgyne" (w00t, new gender-related term!)

Mana?

While I love Mana's style, I wouldn't call it androgynous myself (he goes too far in the other direction :P )

So, Dockers, you say? Hmm, cool. I like collared and button-down shirts, too.

"glam-androgyne" (w00t, new gender-related term!)

Mana?

While I love Mana's style, I wouldn't call it androgynous myself (he goes too far in the other direction :P )

Well, yes... :lol: But I couldn't help it. (I'm going as Mana next Halloween.)

Morgan Underhill

*DROOOOOOOOOOOOL*

I think I just ruined my keyboard.

Drool indeed!

Stuff looks a bit overpriced, though. I was looking at the Byron shirt: 60 bucks!

A lot of this stuff, you can make them yourself, if you or anyone you know can sow: you can use a (serious) pattern from the store, or convert halloween pattern (sometimes difficult, but still, if its a simple pattern).

interestingly enough, i remember learning that in the ottoman empire clothing was pretty androgynous and both men and women wore loose fitting robes - the decorative nature of them being dependent upon class and stature.

i have a few friends from n.africa who have really beautiful formal robes that are loose and elegant. the 'jelaba' (sp?) can be much more casual too, and worn by everyone.. a solution? :)

I have a plain linen button up shirt that I find quite androgynous - I have to tailor it because it is too wide, so I will tailor it to fit my body line a bit better, without being formfitting. Anyway, plain button ups are a good idea, well, like Brel said...

Army surpluses are probably good places to look too.

Children of the sloth

I dress in female clothes because I like them, but I know a few people who dress in an androgynous way. Usually it's a mix of both genders styles, like wearing a tank top, men's dress shirt and baggy pants.

My favorites are the regent coat and the bustle jacket ... wish I was a better seamstress!

I know what you mean. I would go ahead and make my own version of that sweet, sweet greatcoat or whatever it is, but I don't have the proper equipment, and it would take me forever to sew it up by hand.

If you have time to make clothing Simplicity and McCalls both have unisex patterns. Most of them are pretty simple, and you can be pretty sure that your clothes are unique.

I just spent almost a half hour looking at that dark angel website.

*sigh*

The clothing is awesome as well as pricey, and even though I can't quite picture myself wearing it, I have to confess ...

There is *cough* something about those male models that really catches my eye ... :wink:

Take any reasonably good-looking guy, add long hair and some velvet/silk/brocade or any other kind of fabrics that has an interesting visual texture and feel ... and a cape, of course :D ...

I feel like I'm studying something incredibly beautiful yet deadly and unapproachable.

Have you heard of a bird being hypnotized by a viper?

Fascinating.

I think it tends to be mostly baggy clothing that looks more androgynous and yes that does strangely seem to be mens clothes. I am biologically male but even some mens clothes can be tight and hardly comfortable.

"Girl" clothes are worse.

But yeah, other than getting your clothes a few sizes up, you could look at generic stuff, like turtlenecks or sweaters. I kinda like the idea of wearing random clothing items that originated in other countries and cultures, just to completely throw everyone off base.

Forgive my ignorance, but since both males and females wear jeans and cargo pants along with T-Shirts, wouldn't these articles of clothing be classified as "genderless" because they are not confined to men or women?

Neurovore

Archived