minor confusion

proud_of_me

i'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way:

i'm all for sex. like, great, people interested in sex! have fun, guys/gals/whomever! i can talk about sex for hours. but the moment i think about myself in a sexual situation / am in a sexual situation, i get sick to my stomach, even if i'm not directly in it. it's gotten to the point where i've had to skip certain things because i didn't feel well enough.

is this normal? or at least normal for some? i just think its weird - i haven't heard of anyone else feeling the same. xP

aussiekirkland

I feel pretty much the same way! I'm all for sex positivity and other people having sex, and I'm also pretty comfortable talking about it but I'm also sex repulsed if it involves me (feeling sick being in or thinking about myself in a sexual situation).

Same here… I’m a sex-averse ace for my own part, but I enjoy good stories in any context and oftentimes sex is involved. It’s not what I’m there for, but I don’t mind. I’m all up there with the banter and innuendos, racy humour and general sex-positivity — as long as it doesn’t involve me personally. It’s been a great way to brush off attention and fit into in the red-blooded environment at work. Still, at the same time it can make for some uncomfortable situations. Usually in the form of no-dumbass-that-was-not-an-invitation :P

I’ve seen this term autochorissexualism, could that in any way be connected to this?

I think sex aversion is quite normal for asexual people, simply because sexual activity probably incorporates sexual attraction to some degree to make such activities appealing. Autochorissexualism seems pretty spot-on as a description for this sort of aversion, definitely. Although, that said, I don't believe I have it; I mean, sexual situations/activity tends to make me uncomfortable, and seems unnecessary, but I think my usual response is apprehension and indifference.

If it's getting to a point where it physically/mentally makes you ill, perhaps adopting some coping methods to help you manage those feelings might be a good thing to get into? It may be worth checking, because I imagine feeling like that and having it interfere with your everyday life can't be easy. I hope it starts to get better for you!

I feel pretty much the same- I'm sex positive with regards to others, but am very averse to imagining myself in sexual situations. It's totally normal for your views on sex in general not to match exactly how you would feel in a sexual situation, and you are definitely not alone in this :cake:

Some asexuals can be repulsed by the thought of specifically themselves having sex. I don't see many threads discussing it though.

I try to think about myself in a sexual situation and my mind blocks the thoughts from developing very far.