GIVE ME BOOKS WITHOUT ROMANTIC SUBPLOT!

Mumriky

Alright, I'm sure there are many aromantics out there who would like ro read novels without any romance-drivel or love-interests.... simply featuring protoganist that we could at least headcanon as aromantic, and identify us with. Maybe this is not so uncommon when it comes to male protoganists, but I want specifically a FEMALE protoganist, WHO DOES NOT ONCE EVER SHOW ANY INTEREST IS ROMANCE WHAT SO EVER. NOT EVEN A TINSY BIT OF HINT OF LOVE-INTEREST.

I have tried to find lists of this sort, but often when I try books from those lists there will be a romantic subplot anyway! I mean, even if it's not in the focus in any way, I'm still bothered by it. I want to be able to headcanon the character as aromantic and it's just so annoying that I can't find novels with a female lead with NO ZERO NIL interest in romance.

So if you have any suggestions of what i can read that match this simple criteria, I would be most grateful! :D

I have no idea, but I wanna read those too.

Wait, do you want Young Adult? Because Tamora Pierce had some pretty good series that I think didn't have romance.

Squirrel Combat

Nancy Drew series! They're all about a woman solving mysteries all by herself.

There are romantics who are not interested in reading books with romantic subplots too, wanting to avoid romance in novels is not just an aromantic thing :p

Pretty sure there was no romance in One Door Away From Heaven, by Dean Koontz. I remember the main character/s in that were mostly female, and I absolutely loved it (which is rare for me as books with women as the main characters in almost always seem to contain romance, which I hate) it's also nothing like ''regular'' Dean Koontz at all (ie it doesn't really have lots of horror etc) it's more just, I don't know, I really liked it.

There is another book called uuuum..The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (haha, love in the title) but it's not about romantic love as far as I remember, it's about a young girl (9ish?) who idolizes Tom Gordon (the basketball player) she's just a massive fan, he's not a romantic interest to her from what I remember .. anyway she gets lost in the woods and there is something evil in there with her D: So it's about her lost in the woods, wishing that Gordon her basketball hero would save her.

A Song of Ice and Fire (series) has one female main character who never develops romantic interests: Arya :lol:

I am sure there are more, but my brain isn't working right now :c

Morning Glory

*gets up and heads to book shelf* ... I might not be the best person to help regarding this, because I favour fiction books with animal characters. Like the "Silverwing" trilogy + "Darkwing" (by Kenneth Oppel) and the "Warriors" series (by Erin Hunter); both typical have male main characters and there are traces of romance, but the books themselves don't revolve around romance. There's also "The Sight" and "The Firebringer" (by David Clement-Davies); these ones have very little romance at all. One of my favourite reads would be "Watership Down" (by Richard Adams); this one doesn't really have any romance at all, as the rabbits have fairly detached views on relationships. If you're interested in any of those, I can tell you more about them. (That is if you don't already know about them.)

Most of my books are actually manga and non-fiction, but I shall keep my eyes open for any novels with your criteria.

Here's a list of YA novels with little to no romance, taken from Tumblr. If romance exists in these stories, it's not the focus. I've read a lot of these books and really liked them. And... I'm less fond of a few, but here they all are!

• The Ender’s Game series by Orson Scott Card (endorsed by blakesreckoning)
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
  • World War Z by Max Brooks
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
  • Stitches by David Small
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (endorsed by iseult)
  • Monster by Walter Dean Myers
  • Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu and Erin Mcguire
  • The Ranger’s Apprentice series by John Flanagan
  • A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
  • Bound by Donna Jo Napoli
  • The Orphan’s Tales by Catherynne M. Valente
  • House of Stairs by William Sleator
  • The Dreamhouse Kings series by Robert Liparulo
  • Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride
  • Holes by Louis Sachar
  • Hate List by Jennifer Brown
  • I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
  • The Young James Bond series by Charlie Higson
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  • The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
  • The Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke
  • A Dog’s Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron (suggested by forestrabbit)
  • Room by Emma Donoghue (suggested by ameftowriter)
  • The Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix (suggested by rachelthehouseelf)
  • The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen (suggested by calliotp)
  • The Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones (suggested by windsroad)
  • The Dalemark series by Diana Wynne Jones (suggested by windsroad)
  • Unwind by Neal Shusterman (suggested by davidtennantismylover)
  • The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott (suggested by jejunemondegreen)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (suggested by illuminatedbycandlelight)
  • The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop (suggested by pfdiva)
  • The Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud (suggested by sehrglanzvoll)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi Ono (suggested by sehrglanzvoll)
  • City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (suggested by sehrglanzvoll)
  • Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones (suggested by jillwandersen)
  • The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper (suggested by jillwandersen)
  • The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami (suggested by dorkindenial)
  • The Maze Runner by James Dashner (suggested by we-could-go-home)
  • Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (suggested by skeptikitty)
  • Paper Towns by John Green (suggested by revelsinmalevolence)
  • The Flora Segunda series by Ysabeau S. Wilce (suggested by revelsinmalevolence)
  • Pigtopia by Kitty Fitzgerald (suggested by veritaspeck)
  • The Circle of Magic quartet by Tamora Pierce (suggested by fromshadows)
  • 7th Sigma by Steven Gould (suggested by fromshadows)
  • The Henry Reed series by Keith Robertson (suggested by fromshadows)
  • The Dragonslayer’s Apprentice by David Calder and Stieg Retlin (suggested by fromshadows)
  • The Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander
  • The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante (suggested by iseulttoinjury)
  • The Wanderer by Sharon Creech (suggested by iseulttoinjury)
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (suggested by iseulttoinjury)
  • I, Claudius by Robert Graves (suggested by iseult)
  • Claudius the God by Robert Graves (suggested by iseult)
  • Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer L Holm (suggested by iseult)
  • The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams (suggested by iseult)
  • Matilda by Roald Dahl

Source: http://writeworld.org/post/29231800826/ya-books-with-little-to-no-romance

^ Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry also does not have romance (unless I missed it on the list), if I remember correctly. Both great books, but this one also has a female protagonist.

That is an awesome list!

I wouldn't put Paper Towns on there, though, because it is all about the romance.....

Morning Glory

*applauds kappamaki* that is an impressive list.

Alright, I'm sure there are many aromantics out there who would like ro read novels without any romance-drivel or love-interests.... simply featuring protoganist that we could at least headcanon as aromantic, and identify us with. Maybe this is not so uncommon when it comes to male protoganists, but I want specifically a FEMALE protoganist, WHO DOES NOT ONCE EVER SHOW ANY INTEREST IS ROMANCE WHAT SO EVER. NOT EVEN A TINSY BIT OF HINT OF LOVE-INTEREST.

I have tried to find lists of this sort, but often when I try books from those lists there will be a romantic subplot anyway! I mean, even if it's not in the focus in any way, I'm still bothered by it. I want to be able to headcanon the character as aromantic and it's just so annoying that I can't find novels with a female lead with NO ZERO NIL interest in romance.

So if you have any suggestions of what i can read that match this simple criteria, I would be most grateful! :D

It is very difficult to find books with female protagonists who aren't interested in romance or some form of love interest. This is why I stick with Urban Fantasy and steer away from Paranormal Romance. Most UF have male protagonists though. >sigh<

To the above list I would add:

Alex Verus series - Benedict Jacka. So far he's managed to keep romance down to the bare minimum since Alex has more important things to deal with, like a former Dark Master and people who keep trying to kill Alex, than romantic entanglements.

Quincy Morris series - Justin Gustainis. The main characters Quincy Morris and his partner, Libby Chastain, are just that, partners. No romantic involvement for the pair!

Occult Crimes Investigation Unit series - Justin Gustainis. Mainly male characters in the Cincinnati, Ohio police force who investigate occult crimes.

I found this shelf on Goodreads: Urban Fantasy No Romance. It looks like there are a couple of books on the list with female protagonists. Your mileage may vary.

Read the play Gengagere by Henrik Ibsen, and can you find Hanne Ørstavik's Tiden det tar translated to Swedish? Hanne's character in this book doesn't even know what love is, if you count what she has with her neighbor boy as romance then you're wrong.

Lord of the Ri--

Maybe this is not so uncommon when it comes to male protoganists, but I want specifically a FEMALE protoganist,

Oh. Yeah. Good luck with that.

I'm pretty sure there is no romance at all in "The Method" by Juli Zeh I can't vouch for the quality of the English translation though since I read the original in German.

I also read through the list posted above and if you are looking for no romance at all I'd have to advise against Maze Runner, The Inkheart Trilogy and Fahrenheit 451. Though romance isn't the main plot it most certainly is there.

I notice a few people here didn't seem to read the OPs question accurately. While it is relatively easy to find books with little to no romance that have predominantly male characters, the OP is looking for books where a FEMALE is the main character, and does not have a romantic interest as the main or a side plot of the story.

Blue Phoenix Ace

Terry Pratchett - Equal Rites

It was pretty funny, and the protaganist is a female.

Dodecahedron314

IIRC, the Ace Bookshelf thread that's in either World Watch or somewhere else should have a nonromantic subcategory, or at the very least I know there are ratings for how much/little romance a book has in addition to the sex rating.

Although she's also, what, eight?

Another Terry Pratchett book that comes to mind is Monstrous Regiment. Most of the main characters are young women who, for a variety of reasons, have disguised themselves as men to join the army. Two of them are a couple already, but beyond that there's not even a hint of a love interest - they all have more important things to worry about. ;)

Another Terry Pratchett book that comes to mind is Monstrous Regiment. Most of the main characters are young women who, for a variety of reasons, have disguised themselves as men to join the army. Two of them are a couple already, but beyond that there's not even a hint of a love interest - they all have more important things to worry about. ;)

Also the Tiffany Aching series: Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith (though I think the Wintersmith does try his hand with her), I Shall Wear Midnight, and The Shepherd's Crown

Also the Tiffany Aching series: Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith (though I think the Wintersmith does try his hand with her), I Shall Wear Midnight, and The Shepherd's Crown

Doesn't Tiffany have a potential young man in I Shall Wear Midnight, though? And she's trying to decide how she feels about Roland in some of the earlier ones, so not entirely romance-free. (Great books, though!)

Doesn't Tiffany have a potential young man in I Shall Wear Midnight, though? And she's trying to decide how she feels about Roland in some of the earlier ones, so not entirely romance-free. (Great books, though!)

While I haven't completely read the whole series, my impression from the Wikipedia articles, and trying not spoiler myself or anyone else, is that she follows in Granny Weatherwax's footsteps and settles down to protect the Chalk. Roland evidently has a girlfriend in Ankh-Morpork, so who can say? With no more Discworld novels on the horizon :( smiley-sad033.gif one is free to ship or not ship a relationship for Tiffany.

Dodecahedron314

While I haven't completely read the whole series, my impression from the Wikipedia articles, and trying not spoiler myself or anyone else, is that she follows in Granny Weatherwax's footsteps and settles down to protect the Chalk. Roland evidently has a girlfriend in Ankh-Morpork, so who can say? With no more Discworld novels on the horizon :( smiley-sad033.gif one is free to ship or not ship a relationship for Tiffany.

I have read the whole series, and without too much in the way of spoilers, I'll just say that at the very least this is not one of those series where you'll get angry at the end because the main character gets randomly thrown together with someone. This aro-ace approves.
Dodecahedron314

Double post

Dodecahedron314

Triple post

P C Hodgell

God Stalker Chronicles:

God Stalk, 1982
Dark of the Moon, 1985
Seeker's Mask, 1994
To Ride a Rathorn, August 2006
Bound In Blood, March 2010
Honor's Paradox, December 2011
The Sea of Time, June 2014

List from wiki (and my bookshelf..)

Fantasy with female main character. As far as i remember theres little to no romance.

Main character hasnt been in love or relationships, only thing i can think of is some guy wanting relationship and getting turned down. Its possible that i have missed some romance, i tend to miss or ignore such.

The first Honor Harrington book has a female lead and no sex or romantic content whatsoever.

I was very happy about this, and started to think that for once we could have a Strong Female Character with no romance plot, but then I learned that the later books have it. :(

(There is one random scene in the first book when she's getting undressed to shower that has some comment about her body that seems entirely out of place with the rest of the book, but I can't remember the details now, and it's still not a romance plot. It's more like, "this character is pretty masculine in general, and her society seems to think of this is entirely normal, so why is she thinking of her short hair/her body in these terms all of a sudden? It's inconsistent with the rest of the world-building!" and then the book moves on.)

The book comes across as "so I was writing the book just as I would write a male protagonist, and then I happened to make her a woman" rather than as a "statement" about "strong women." IMO it works well, except for that one random scene I mentioned above, which reads like the author's like "oh, well, since she's a woman, this must be how she thinks about her looks," and it's so out of place.

That awkward moment when you can't think of a single female-protagonist novel without romance. If you're not dead set on a female protagonist, I would definitely recommend Holes by Louis Sachar. But do not, I repeat do not read the companion novel Small Steps. It was god awful and I still can't believe it was from the same author.

That awkward moment when you can't think of a single female-protagonist novel without romance. If you're not dead set on a female protagonist, I would definitely recommend Holes by Louis Sachar. But do not, I repeat do not read the companion novel Small Steps. It was god awful and I still can't believe it was from the same author.

Trying to do that with movies.. or comics.. or most types of media.

Practically nothing comes up. D:

Archived