Is it common for asexuals to Not wanna grow up ?

Do you ever just want to remain in an almost child like state?

I also view people's clothes as almost thier skin and I never ever think about what's underneath , I always feel like If I did then I would be invading thier personal space , I also am repulsed by butts when the legs are tucked in and it looks so gross ,

I am realy interested to know possible reasons why I or anyone else would feel like thier a kid , like could it be environmental factors , or lack o hormones or what ?

I'm not too sure if it would be "common" or not. Perhaps you could create a poll for census?

There's a child in everyone's heart. To me, I don't feel like that child within has anything to do with my asexuality. Though if someone would claim that I am childish because of my asexuality, I'd be pretty insulted because it translates to me that asexuals are "immature". There are plenty of asexuals who are mature as well as sexuals who are immature and mature.

I'm not too sure about the "lack" of hormones... because I have personally had my hormones tested and actually have a wee bit higher levels of testosterone, and yet I still don't feel sexual attraction nor desire partnered sex.

I suppose the only reason I somewhat feel like a kid is because... well I am a kid. Despite becoming a legal adult soon. The only reason I don't want to grow up is because adulting doesn't sound too fun. :lol:

Anthracite_Impreza

I don't think being "childish" has anything to do with being ace. I know what you're implying, that aces haven't developed in the sexual area and are therefore "immature"; this simply isn't true. There are plenty of immature sexual people and mature asexual people.

Saying that, I'm very childish, I admit that openly. Being an adult is something I never wanted and something I refuse to let take away my immaturity and fun.

No, sorry, I've never felt like that, this, at all. It's probably just you being you and having your own individual experiences of yourself and the world around you.

Autumn Season

If "growing up" means marrying and having children, then maybe it is really less common for aces.

I think it's common for most people to never want to grow up.

For some, I think they'd prefer to remain "ignorant" on matters regarding sexual content. But I'd much rather understand what my peers are saying. That's just me though.

For me it's kinda weird because while I hated being young (more specifically, I hated the lack of privilege that comes along with it), in many ways even now I still think of myself as a kid.

Wallflowerbaby13

I feel very much still a kid even though I am a legal adult. And while I don't think it is because I am asexual, I think it just adds to my feelings of childishness. I haven't experienced very many things especially those that are supposed to lead to the road of adulthood. I am basically the same as when I was 14. I never went to college, I haven't learned how to drive yet, I am still at home, I don't have a great dream or career aspiration. And I have never dated or had sex. All things I have associated as "growing up". So while I don't think my identifying as asexual or aromantic makes me childish, I know it is just more experiences I am not having, and all of my peers have. It just adds to my feelings of difference and immaturity and overall lameness. (Sorry, I am not in the happiest of places with myself) I think being "childish" really has to do with your personality and the environment you grow up in. At least, that is how it feels in my case.

I don't think being "childish" has anything to do with being ace. I know what you're implying, that aces haven't developed in the sexual area and are therefore "immature"; this simply isn't true. There are plenty of immature sexual people and mature asexual people.

^^ This. There are many asexual people who grew up decades ago and although they may feel childish at times, they realize they've grown up in the usual sense. Substitute "sexual" in the previous sentence and it's true also.

I don't think that not wanting to grow up is something have to with being ace. But I know I feel like I stop aging mentally for a while now, especially after the age of 13. Right now I'm 20 but when people ask me of my age I have to take a minuet to remember that I'm 20 and not 17. I know that compare to my peers I am more open about my desire of not wanting to grow up.

While it's nice to be a child because you're dependent and don't have as many responsibilities, and I often reminisce about childhood, I'd rather be an adult (as I am now) and have the freedom and independence to be and do whatever I want (that I do now), even if that comes with more responsibility.

I think it's common for most people to never want to grow up.

For some, I think they'd prefer to remain "ignorant" on matters regarding sexual content. But I'd much rather understand what my peers are saying. That's just me though.

Yes, I think it is just common for young people in general. Look at Buzzfeed or Tumblr or any other website catered toward young people and you will see all sorts of posts bewailing impending adulthood. There are even books about it. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone. There's just a mad streak of it. I personally dislike being an adult, and only partly because of being queer/asexual. I definitely feel like I'm still a young teen, especially when all my friends are starting to go out and explore their sexualities and I'm the only one left who isn't.

I definitely feel like I'm still a young teen, especially when all my friends are starting to go out and explore their sexualities and I'm the only one left who isn't.

I feel differently in that I've explored my (a)sexuality and feel sexually liberated as an "asexual" person.

EmotionalAndroid

Everyone treats me like a child, and I have for years been under the delusion that I am eternally a child. Because of this experience of everyone treating me as an inferior, I do not wish to be a child all my life; however, I would like to retain my childlike innocence and dreams. I do still believe I am a child in many ways, and I think this type of thinking is detrimental to my overall well-being. It sets limits on myself that really don't exist.

I think I still have some child like traits but I'm somewhere in the seamless transition from teen to old fool.

Lightning Blue Ray

For me, I have sort of wanted to stay 15 years old forever, and I do act in childish ways, even in school...my parents know that I don't want to grow up. However, in my case, this has nothing to do with asexuality. Being young and immature is just something that I want to be a part of me, and I guess that even without the asexuality, I'd still act this way.

El-not-so-ace

Many people don't want to grow up and it's not linked to asexuality or lack of it. I didn't want to before in part because it was assumed I'd need to sleep with someone. I was already a mini-adult in the mature sense for everything else for a while now. Now, my maturity has been critical in me accepting that whatever happens, I'm just going to take it all a step at a time and stop holding back. :)

I never really wanted to grow up. Sure, independence and driving and all that is cool, but there's something about adulthood inherently that lacks luster. Whether you want to or not, you must develop 'worldly' understanding if you want to live in the modern world - at least most people do. With it comes with the realization that the world isn't as you thought as a kid, people aren't as you thought they were. I was happier as a kid. No matter how long I live here, I will never be as happy as I was when I was a kid. :) I didn't even have what would be considered the best childhood, but the nature of childhood itself is one that doesn't allow corruption - that awareness is a part of being adult.

I found it really interesting to read through your comments ! Thanks for replying, I think myself I have some child like elements which are the parts of me I like , this includes lack of sexualness and bieng optimistic , yet in many ways I can think a lot of about certain aspects of life and can be very pesmistic and dislike the world in many ways, which even as a child I felt I had these trates.

I don't think lack of sexuality and optimism are really childish. Neither is being very sexuality active or more pessimistic. To me real maturity isn't whether you're sexual or optimistic or being a goofball but simply taking responsiblity for your own actions whatever the outcome of said actions may be. I have plenty of relatives on my Dad's side well into their sixties who don't take responsibility for their own actions but blame everything else for their woes so it's not a generational thing either as suggested elsewhere by media and such.

I want to hold onto the feeling of childhood, the opportunity aspect "still enough time" to do things.

But tbh I'm looking forward to grey/white hair. I'm ready for old womanhood. I'm going to paint my nails red and file them sharp.

anigif_enhanced-12526-1401217573-1.gif

Prufrock, but like, worse

I've not mentally aged past twelve, I think. I understand much more complex concepts than I did then, of course, but I still have very similar beliefs and modes of thinking, and my daydreams always feature me as I looked at that age.

I know that substances can stunt emotional growth, like if you've been taking drugs or abusing alcohol all your life. That would make 2/3 of adults around the mid teens! :D

I dont feel a day over 14...and sometimes when people ask my age i have to think for a moment before replying !!! I guess what your trying to imply is NOT that some asexuals are immature but rather that some are just childlike !! childlike =/= immature !!! I ,for one,still watch cartoons(infact i ONLY watch cartoons) and cartoons get me excited today just as much as they did when i was 5 . I love reading childrens stories and enjoying the cute little illustrations(especially noddy). And i LOVE stationary....stationary gets me excited so much(new stationary over sex ANYDAY) . i dont like dressing womanly,i still stick to my childhood fashion of jeans and tees and sneakers !!! I also never imagine about love and getting married and having kids because all those things feel strange to me,like out of place in my kid life !!! I feel like i still have a lot of time left to face that (i dont)....its like a 5 year old thinking about life when they will be 25....very very far away !! I dont know why i feel this way. I dont think its hormones. Maybe its just the way our brains are wired !!!! Maybe we dont like change !! Or maybe most of the adult things dont excite us(like romantic dramas...god..they are just tedious) !!! But i think we are lucky. GROW OLD...BUT..NEVER GROW UP !!!!

MystiqueSister

I think as an asexual the older you get, the more obvious it becomes that you are not like everyone else. Childhood is a place where your otherness (in regards to sexuality) isn't questioned and perhaps that simplicity is what we're nostalgic for. Adulthood is the place where I'm the only single among my friends and no matter how great they are, at the end of the day, I still feel like an alien.

I think not wanting to grow up is more linked to being agender. I'm somewhat agender myself, and I would much prefer a boy's body to a man's one. The same is true for my girlfriend.

Queen Under the Mountain

I definitely rather be an adult. My childhood was amazing, but I hate feeling dependent, I like to use my money to live, to go wherever I want without have to ask, to eat what I like. I still live with my parents, so I obviously can't disappear for 3 days without giving notice, but the pressure to know where I'm and what I'm doing is much lower.

I don't think I'm mature enough yet, I made a lot of bad decisions in the last years, lose a lot of opportunities. I wish that I could go back a few years and start again, but be a child or a teen again, god no.

As much as I enjoyed childhood, I'm much happier being an independent adult. Though, sometimes I have this fantasy about going back to like age 12 with all my knowledge and memories and looking like a child prodigy lol

I have been through more than most people my age and am often told that I'm mature, I'm educated (although I let my writing slide on aven with a million run on sentences) but I still don't want to grow up in many regards! Although I look more like a child than an adult in her twenties, there is nothing wrong with my hormones. I do want to be financially stable and independent, but I still want to live at my moms forever and just use the money to better both of our lives even further although we are financially comfortable right now. I guess I just enjoy being young and fear the unknown. I don't want to get married or have kids but a platonic partner might be nice at some point. There is a lot of talk right now about young adults going through a quarter-life crisis that may be interesting for you to read up on :)