Bogaert, A.F. (2015) Asexuality: What It Is and Why It Matters. The Journal of Sex Research, 52:4, 362-379

MacAran

Abstract

In this review article, human asexuality, a relatively understudied phenomenon, is discussed. Specifically, definitions and conceptualizations of asexuality (e.g., is it a unique category of sexual orientation?), biological and historical contexts, identity issues, discrimination against asexual people relative to other minorities, origins, and variations, including gender differences, are reviewed. Whether asexuality should be construed as a disorder is also discussed. The study of asexuality allows for a better understanding of an underrecognized sexual minority but also affords a unique opportunity to examine and better understand human sexuality.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00224499.2015.1015713

Sweet, been looking for scholarly articles in case I need to prove to my mother that being ace is a real thing.

Yeah, I got far too excited about finding this and almost posted it to my facebook before reminding myself that that I'm not out to most of my family, and that is a can of worms that I don't want to open right now.

Right, yeah. I think I'll bookmark this, maybe even print it so when I do come out I can say that "look, this has been published in academic journals!" Then she might believe me.

Haven't heard the statistic about the ace rats and sheep either. That was interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

This is basically a shorter version of his book, "Understanding (A)sexuality", it seems. :) Great, because then you don't have to reference the book constantly!

Archived