Hello All!

Gutter Goose

It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance. I just signed up to the forum yesterday, after thinking about it for quite some time. I’m very pleased to have found this place for discussion and I hope to find some meet ups near me, as I think it would help me a lot to meet other asexuals in person, just to assure myself that you’re real.

From what I’ve read of other people’s experiences, mine is not a unique story. I was in my mid-twenties before I learned that asexuality was an option and before that I thought there was something horribly wrong with me or that I was broken, having only been presented with the ‘gay, straight or bi’ holes, none of which my square peg fitted. The culture around me seemed very preoccupied with sex and it seemed like you had to be having it in order to be considered liberated and progressive. I had a couple of boyfriends because ‘that’s what I should be doing at my age’ and they were lovely blokes, never put any pressure on me, always took no for an answer, but I ultimately never experienced desire for them and let them go on their way so that they could fulfil their need for sex elsewhere.

I am considering the possibility that I may be aromantic as well. I really don’t want to be, but I have never enjoyed being in a relationship; when I ended them I felt nothing but relief and am much happier being single. I may not have enjoyed being in relationships in the past because I knew that sooner or later the other person was going to expect me to have sex with them, but I suppose this is something I still have to work out. I want to have a close and special friend, someone to be my ‘family’, but I don’t want to have anything to do with the physical intimacy side of things. I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Whatever my doubts, I have stopped putting pressure on myself to be a certain way and I will take as long as I need to find out who I am and how I want to live. That feels closer to true liberation and progression than any of my attempts to fit the narrow normal I was offered.

Hi Gutter Goose,

Welcome to AVEN! I'm also relatively new here, but I've already started to really like it.

You'll probably find that it's not too difficult to find a meet-up near you. As far as I know, some people try to organise something in Manchester. If you can make it to Birmingham at the end of November, there are around 30 people expected to come, so that one's definite. I've also decided to go there, even if it's a bit of a train ride (I live in Southampton).

For now have some cake :-)

300x300_choc_rose_cake.jpg

Hi Nicholas5, please don't be nervous, we are an awesome group of people, we always try to help each other, and we will always help each other :-D

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: Thank you for your great introduction!! You aren't alone in any of this. : ) Just keep exploring the site and asking questions if you have any. Our journeys of self-discovery can take a lifetime, so just continue on learning about yourself. We are more than happy to help!! : ) Best wishes, and I hope you enjoy being a member!

Dark-Chocolate-Matcha-Cake-52.jpg

Hullo, nice to meet you and welcome to AVEN! :cake: :cake: I'm glad that you have decided to join and thank you for introducing yourself and sharing your story. A lot of people here can relate to you. I hope you enjoy it here and... more cake!

573iSXq.jpg?1

Hi and welcome to AVEN! Glad you found your way here and I hope you love being a member. The people are awesome, so have fun making some new friends!!! :)

uVn3bDJ.jpg?2

Also, it's great that you are feeling more comfortable about it now!

SpiffyParadox
Hello, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

Just know AVEN is a safe place and that the community is kind and willing to help answer any questions that you may have!

Hope you enjoy your time here and make plenty of friends!

Thank you, everyone, I really appreciate you saying hi! Loving looking at all this cake...

Thanks for the tip about the meetups, Timewarp, I will look out for one in Manchester.

Archived