Have you ever wanted to start a family-like community of friends?

Ix Phoen

bluedragonwings

Already working on that!

Autumn Sunrise

Can we have an orchestra for all of us amateur musicians :D ?

Qutenkuddly

Can we have an orchestra for all of us amateur musicians :D ?

Can I play my didje?

I play clarinet. Well, I used to. I could again. :)

• 1 month later...

Haha! This sounds like so much fun. I've thought for years that a small community like this would be an amazing experience. I'll bring my voice, because I don't play piano well enough not to bring everyone down with me.

I could only be an audience for this orchestra :( But, I'd be very a very enthusiastic one :D

Skycaptain

I'll run the refreshment bar, owing to a certain lack of musical ability

bluedragonwings

I have been looking into co-housing. It looks good, but not as good as going in with friends and like minded people. Some seem to be organized around idea, the rest seem to be around eco or general community.

I'm working on building a source of income that can travel with me. When I figure that out, I'm planning to rent an apartment with my best friend "somewhere in the world" ... though I'll be happy if it's in Japan since we have friends there that we'd like to include in our plan.

Just the thought of it keeps me going.

Siimo van der fietspad

If there's music, I'm in. Could just be one long jam session...

I can cook too.

I like sharing the kitchen with people who cook, but the big question is ... Do you clean? (Because I usually have other priorities.) *grins*

Siimo van der fietspad

I can confirm I do cleaning too. It's actually quite refreshing to do something totally mindless for a bit, and I like the satisfaction of seeing things getting shinier and removing gunk from the kitchen. And alloy wheels.

I can confirm I do cleaning too. It's actually quite refreshing to do something totally mindless for a bit, and I like the satisfaction of seeing things getting shinier and removing gunk from the kitchen. And alloy wheels.

You have my respect then. For me cleaning is not mindless ... and is only satisfying when it's over and I can do other things without feeling the oppressive, looming sensation that I have left unconquered evil to grow in the shadows.

• 3 weeks later...
Anthracite_Impreza

I love cleaning, tidying and organising! I'm a bit of a control freak about it but the house will be ordered, tidy, Dettol'd and bleached ;)

• 4 weeks later...
no no na na

nope, I enjoy solitude A LOT

so do I..but if it was on a large enough piece of land that allowed me enough distance from 'people' I'd have to say "count me in !"

• 1 month later...
awkwardfeminist

I have plenty of friends talking about starting a family in various constellations, mainly poly friends with romantic and platonic relationships that they want to live and have kids with. I'd love to be a part of that, a friend and I discussed it quietly recently. Buying a big house that fit us all and having kids. I like living on my own, but I don't think I will enjoy it long term. I grew up in a very close-knit family and have a whole gaggle of nieces and nephews, and I can't really see myself living in a house without other people. But my siblings are all very nuclear-family people so I wouldn't want to live with them, I'd rather live with fellow queer friends.

I've always thought the Golden Girls friends-living-together-as-family situation seemed perfect. I never got why it seemed so perfect to me until recently.

Although, yes, I would have to have my own space also.

HesitantAlien

Well, I lived with my best friend for 5 years, but I have my own place now. I am pretty introverted so I have to live with someone equally introverted. I have a beautiful group of friends now that are far more like family than anything else. Though I don't want to live with them, I can see them all living with each other. I'm just too introverted to live in a house full of boisterous people, but I love that they are family and I love spending time with them :)

I would love to have a family-like friends community of some sort. It's actually been weird fantasy of mine for a while now.

Hedera Helix

Wow! Another idea that isn't just inside my silly head. Thanks for this topic, Ix Phoen! And the lively discussion, folks! :)

Not having siblings of my own, I've dreamed about "adopting" sisters and brothers since childhood. But. Life has started to turn surprisingly lonely for me lately. I've had plenty of friends I thought were close, but all of them have found girl- and boyfriends, married and started families of their own. With babies arriving they prefer to spend time with their blood family leaving less time for friends - or meddling non-related aunts. Perhaps I need to find more co-operative and less traditional friends for this scheme?

Wow! Another idea that isn't just inside my silly head. Thanks for this topic, Ix Phoen! And the lively discussion, folks! :)

Not having siblings of my own, I've dreamed about "adopting" sisters and brothers since childhood. But. Life has started to turn surprisingly lonely for me lately. I've had plenty of friends I thought were close, but all of them have found girl- and boyfriends, married and started families of their own. With babies arriving they prefer to spend time with their blood family leaving less time for friends - or meddling non-related aunts. Perhaps I need to find more co-operative and less traditional friends for this scheme?

I feel like a training manual for "how not to lose all your friends when you have children" might be useful to young/new parents.

And yes, less traditional friends are the sorts who do this sort of thing. I find that the rest of them think I might be crazy. I tend to bond with non-traditional sorts anyway.

Parenting talk and mom groups always bored me even when I fit the stereotype of "stay at home mom with young kids." I attended for the art projects they used to lure us (me) in. Heh!

sparklingstars
I feel like a training manual for "how not to lose all your friends when you have children" might be useful to young/new parents.

So true. Although I can't really blame them - having kids is a huge responsibility, and I'm sure most new parents are just overwhelmed. But it's really tough for those of us who are watching from the sidelines.

Archived