Pressure from family/society

SnowLady

For those who are aromantic, does your family ever pressurize you to go for dating/matchmaking services and quickly get married and settle down soon?

How do you deal with all these pressure, especially when you know you are NOT interested in dating at all?

Well my parents are Asian and traditional so they definitely wanted me to settle down and have kids. I broke those dreams before I even learned about asexuality though.

Yep! :( been there.

It's only their opinion. But it's your life! ^_^ don't forget that. X

I'm aromantic. My mom has asked me once or twice if I have a boyfriend, but she hasn't asked since I told her that I would tell her if/when I did. She has also made some off-hand comments about wanting grandchildren while we're around young kids that are super adorable -- but I don't think she's trying to pressure me, she's just making comments.

Yes. And I always something along lines of "that's never going to happen". If they continue on I just ignore them.

Blue Phoenix Ace

Since realizing my aromantic-ness, any time I get the question from my parents I just tell them I'm not interested in it. I've also told them I don't want to have children. You can try to deflect it all you want but they will persist. I believe they do this for two main reasons. One, they want you to be happy and they believe that being with someone will bring you that happiness. Two, they want grandkids.

Number one is quite reasonable, but perhaps explaining how you feel might alleviate their concern. As for number two, well that seems a little bit selfish and you should probably just burst that bubble sooner rather than later. Having children just so your parents can have grandchildren is not a good reason at all.

BR2925 (Sunfish)

When I first moved to my new school, if found out that on the very last day of the school year there's a school dance. It was the FIRST day of school and people were already talking about it. "Who are you going to ask to the dance? Come on, you need to like someone. It's not possible to not like someone, is it?" and eventually I just named the first girl I met there, and then they teased me for the rest of the year for that. Ugh it pisses me off so much that people do that., and also it was the first day at my new school so I had no idea who anyone was.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

and eventually I just named the first girl I met there, and then they teased me for the rest of the year for that.

I hope the first girl you met wasn't the teacher?

Society is filled with damned if you do damned if you don't situations .

Archived