If it wasn't for society, would you wear the same clothing every day?

Zerο

This is something that has always kinda bothered me, and watching the video below reminded me of it:

I like simplicity, and frankly, I don't like choosing new outfits just for the sake of people not thinking I don't have clothes or I'm wearing dirty clothes. As it is, I rotate between about 7 outfits, but that's only about 1/3 to 1/4 the size of my wardrobe. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I work in an office, I'd probably just wear my 3 most favorite outfits (would vary for the weather) every week.

Hmm I really like buying new clothes and dressing up so, I wouldn't wear the same clothes everyday.

(:

allrightalready

if it were not for society i would not wear clothes at all

I wear the same clothes...

I actually have such a basic wardrobe that even if I wear a different shirt, it's still the same shirt. Black quarter sleeves. I own maybe.. five? I wear them all the time, the same clothes. All the clothing I own is black so to anyone who sees me and doesn't take the time to notice anything small like neckline, sleeve length, or buttons/details, I might as well only own four items of clothing.

I don't think I'd wear the same thing everyday, but if no one in society gave a damn about what others wear I'd probably go back to wearing less girly and more comfortable tomboyish clothes and leave the girly clothes for those special days when I feel really happy or excited about something. Girly clothes are not as bad as I thought before I started wearing them, but they're still growing on me, it's not something I identify as my style, I'm still trying to figure that out.

That was such an odd video. I had no idea that clothing is so important to some people, especially when they were talking about how what they wear reflects how they're feeling and their mood.. And when they all started complaining that the bright dress was emotionally exhausting to wear all the time and the other girl complaining that the black colour of her dress was getting her down!

I wear different clothes because I have a few favourite items of clothing: two different hoodies, two jumpers and then whatever t-shirt underneath that's close to hand and clean. I almost always wear black jeans but sometimes "branch out" into blue jeans (two different pairs of jeans?!?! Calm down, Orchid...)

Like I said, I wear whatever I find that is clean and comfortable. Also (maybe TMI - sorry) I sometimes have to choose my t-shirts based on what bras I have clean. Like if I only have a coloured one that's clean enough to wear then I can't wear a white t-shirt over the top or it shows right through. That is probably the main factor in my decision of what to wear today.

So yeah, I'll wear the same few items of clothing whether society accepts me or not because I'm lazy :twisted:

I don't really care what others think. No one ever comments on my clothing, and I usually wear a school uniform anyway.

Usually I like to rotate between a couple plain-colored shirts, picking the color according to mood.

This got me thinking. Whilst, naturally, I wear clean clothes daily, and usually change after work as well, fundamentally I do wear the same things all the time. Between summer and winter the only difference is that I wear shorts in summer and long trousers in winter, but the rest of the clothing doesn't change. Same t-shirts weather working or at leisure, and the same for all other clothes.

I pretty much wear the same thing everyday. Pair of jeans and a button up collared shirt.

If all my clothes look the same, I don't care. I just try to make sure that people don't imagine that I wear the same t-shirt all year long without ever washing it :D

When I was younger (around 10 or so) before I realised that other people might care about what I'm wearing I'd wear the same outfit until it got dirty/smelly. When people started to tease me about it I began to do the bare minimum of rotating necessary to appear as if I was wearing something different everyday. I still revert to my old ways when I know I won't see anyone of importance today though.

I like dressing up for special occasions but putting that much thought into my appearance every day would be far too much work.

The_Halfmoon

I do right now. I just go to work and come back home to draw. Only get to go to the gym twice a week, so I guess I change for that as well. And for work I wear a plain black t shirt with black pants, and I have 5 sets of those.

Once I can quit my dayjob, and have even a bit of a social life again, I think I'd like to dress nicely from time to time. But right now all my effort is directed to improving as a writer and illustrator

That was such an odd video. I had no idea that clothing is so important to some people, especially when they were talking about how what they wear reflects how they're feeling and their mood.. And when they all started complaining that the bright dress was emotionally exhausting to wear all the time and the other girl complaining that the black colour of her dress was getting her down!

I wear different clothes because I have a few favourite items of clothing: two different hoodies, two jumpers and then whatever t-shirt underneath that's close to hand and clean. I almost always wear black jeans but sometimes "branch out" into blue jeans (two different pairs of jeans?!?! Calm down, Orchid...)

Like I said, I wear whatever I find that is clean and comfortable. Also (maybe TMI - sorry) I sometimes have to choose my t-shirts based on what bras I have clean. Like if I only have a coloured one that's clean enough to wear then I can't wear a white t-shirt over the top or it shows right through. That is probably the main factor in my decision of what to wear today.

So yeah, I'll wear the same few items of clothing whether society accepts me or not because I'm lazy :twisted:

Yeah I found the video surprising as well. The guy who didn't get dressed as a loophole...lol

Queen Under the Mountain

Also (maybe TMI - sorry) I sometimes have to choose my t-shirts based on what bras I have clean. Like if I only have a coloured one that's clean enough to wear then I can't wear a white t-shirt over the top or it shows right through. That is probably the main factor in my decision of what to wear today.

This is my main issue when I'm dressing. Sometimes, when I have no bra clean, I have to use a dark T-shirt and a light coat. If I'm going to work, only the coat, since I have to use uniform in my job. So to work I literally use the same clothes everyday: my uniform + jeans. In my social life, I rotate between the same clothes always too so my friends already know my clothes and comment every time I appear with a new T-shirt or sneaker.

Nah. I'd get tired of looking at the same outfit over and over again. It doesn't matter or not if society gave a damn because I would. Gotta switch things up.

SorryNotSorry

if it were not for society i would not wear clothes at all

^That.^

The same thing every day?

Hell no!

...How can you wear a shirt in winter or a sweater in summer? :P

In all seriousness, I would probably wear the same thing for a long time and change it when it's either unclean or smelly. I like being clean and while I don't want to smell good necessarily, I also don't want to stink.

Squirrel Combat

I almost never change my clothes.

Anthracite_Impreza

I already pretty much wear the same thing everyday; my manky, oily overalls :P When I choose my clothes though I like to wear various different things for myself. I wasn't even aware of a social pressure to wear different clothes, I just thought everyone got bored of wearing the same stuff all the time *shrugs*

Not me.

If it weren't for society I'd have much more variety in what I wear. As it is I wear t-shirts and jeans pretty much every day. But I like all sorts of clothes (men's and women's; and even clothes that might be considered costumes, like steampunk clothing and accouterments or Ren Faire garb or whatever; maybe even mix and match at will), so if it weren't for society I'd change it up all the time most likely.

I wouldn't really mind wearing the same thing every day. Like a whole of bunch of similar shirts with similar colors, jeans and a jacket for when it is cold. Perfect. But dressing up or changing it up every once in awhile for yourself would be nice. I mean I never really dress up for other people. If I want to look cute, I am definitely going to go out and do so.

I routinely wear the same clothes at least two days in a row. (Much more than that and it's probably bad hygiene.) The only time I plan my outfits is for jobs, where people will judge me partly based on how I dress.

Otherwise, the one thing that influences how I dress? I love looking nerdy, sporting anime merch--that kind of thing. Well, comfort, too.

But I don't think I could wear the same thing literally every day. I have lots of t-shirts I like, and I would get bored of the same one eventually. I would like to wear the same shirt for longer sometimes.

As long as it's clean and comfortable, I probably would.

I only have enough clothes to last about 5 or 6 days (with some extra shirts and such) and most of them are very bland....but that's no problem for me.

I already do recycle the same small set of outer garments (with a change of underwear) for several days in a row, "society be damned." I assume anyone who might worry over my lack of variety in outfits is too stupid to have opinions on my life worth regarding. Fortunately, I don't cross paths on a regular basis with anyone eager to display that sort of idiocy.

Society doesn't have much impact on what I do and don't wear, or how long I wear it. I already typically wear jeans for a week or two at a time and shirts for several days at a time (unless they actually become dirty, of course). If they don't want to associate with me because of what I'm wearing, I probably don't much want to associate with them either.

I already choose my clothing based entirely on what is comfortable, practical, and what I feel like wearing (which is usually pretty much the same stuff), so there wouldn't be much of a difference there either. I keep just enough pants on hand that I have enough for when more than I expect end up in the wash, same with socks and such, and shirts seem to be the only thing I actually care about at all in terms of appearance -- most of the shirts I own are associated with one thing or another that I like, so I grab whatever one fits what I'm feeling like.

.diva plavalaguna.

Right now I tend to re-wear the same stuff for multiple days. For example, same pajamas for a week or more after showering. My pajamas always smell awesome C: Sometimes I will sleep in an outfit and wear it again the next day...sometimes the day after that, too. Aside from that I have like 3-4 home outfits that I rotate and like...two "in public" outfits that I have. I don't leave my house most days and have been known to even go outside for the mail in my pajamas...I lost a lot of fucks recently. I even accept my packages from the mailman in pajamas. O: Pajamas, man. <3

If not for society, and also if not for being overweight and broke as hell, I would go out daily in pretty long flowing dresses with my hair down and flowin'. I wanna feel like a beautiful princess every day but I don't so I guess I settle for house potato or something.

I like wearing various things every day. I just don't like having so much laundry to do haha!

This reminds me of an embarrassing story from my childhood. I was pretty young, maybe 7ish. My mom had just told me that I could wear the same clothes 2-3 times without washing them as long as they weren't dirty/smelly. We went on a trip to visit my relatives, and I had packed a decent variety of outfits, but for some reason I put my mom's advice into practice and wore the same outfit for 3 days in a row. On the 3rd day my cousin asked me if I hadn't packed any other clothes, and that was when I realized it's not a good idea to wear the same thing multiple days in a row, or people will judge you.

As long as it's clean and comfortable, I probably would..

This.

Also, I don't mind tiny stains which I have to look hard to notice. I still find it hard to figure out why people (i.e random people who have other stuff to do than look at you) care about somebody else's wearing the same clothes- I even half-suspected that it's actually a myth, but, alas, it isn't....

I'd be perfectly ok with it. In all honesty, I never cared much about having a variety of clothes and I regularly wear the same pair of jeans 4 times a month (I do that thing where I wear a pair twice before washing, unless I really sweated that day in them). I realized how small of a t-shirt collection I had when I went to college and all of them (about 20 shirts at the time) fit in my dorm wardrobe without it overflowing, so I started this routine where I'd put newly washed ones on the left, and ones I hadn't worn recently on the right, so when I got dressed that day, I'd take a shirt on the far right, just to make sure people didn't think I had the same 3-4 shirts.

I have 2 pair of pants and like 5 t-shirts that i wear, total. And in any given week I've probably worn the exact same pair of pants and t-shirt for at least 4 of the 7 days. You can think I'm gross, I don't mind :)

Archived