Favorite Holidays

KaitlynS

What is everyone's favorite holiday? The only holiday I am really into is Halloween. I love the movies the television stations play every year in October. I like a lot of horror movies as well as the non-bloody, non-gory Disney Channel movies like Halloween Town. I think part of the reason I like Halloween so much is that my birthday is exactly a week before it, so I kind of associate the fun of the birthday with Halloween, but I love to put up spooky lights, and decorations. I recently moved to a different house and I am thinking about getting my house ready for Halloween. I also loved trick or treating. I am too old for that now, but when I was a kid I enjoyed going house to house collecting delicious candy and eating it. Halloween was better ten years ago though. It seems like a lot of people don't go out anymore, and a lot of people don't decorate their houses or hand out candy.

I like Thanksgiving too until I eat dinner; then I over eat and feel bad for like an hour. Again I love decorating which I do for Christmas also, but I never know what to get people and after my mom died it is only my brother and dad around here. I can never really get into the Christmas spirit. I don't really celebrate any of the other holidays.

I like Halloween, because I like October and because I like to dress up in costumes when I get the chance (which isn't often). I also like Christmas and the secular traditions and movies and songs and decorations and such.

Grumpy Alien

CHRISTMAS CHRISTMAS CHRISTMAS

Followed by Halloween!

I love Christmas the most for several reasons. Firstly, that's the only time of the year that one of my moms has reliably had a week off work, so I get to spend time with her (and I get to spend time with other family members, too). Secondly, I find the decorations -- strings of lights, Christmas trees, red and green ornaments and such -- cheerful and I like seeing them around, and that kind of makes all of December feel special for me. Thirdly, Christmas has always been the main holiday that my family has celebrated, so it's sort of... almost like most of the others rolled into one. It'll probably always be the most special holiday to me. New Year's also ends up getting wrapped up into the whole week or two of celebration for us, so I kind of think of it as all one huge turn-of-the-year holiday.

I used to really love Halloween as well, when I was younger, but now that I can't do most of the stuff that I used to like about it (dress up, go to Halloween events, trick-or-treat, etc.), I can't get as enthusiastic about it as I used to.

I kind of like Thanksgiving for the fact that there's always some time off around it and it's whole sort of family feast day aspect, but I'm rather leery about its whole premise otherwise, and I'm not sure I count it so much as a holiday as just a guaranteed spend-time-with-family day. Which is cool, but I'm not sure that counts.

Christmas and Halloween are my top favorites! Thanksgiving is a close second. I love it too but just not as much as Christmas and Halloween. Those two are the best

Wallflowerbaby13

As a kid I loved Christmas the most. I really believed in Santa clause and reindeer. Great heartfelt family movies, tree decorating presents! My parents would have presents wrapped in special Santa wrapping paper so we knew those were from him. Being so excited the night before and having to wait till 6:30 or 7 to wake up the parents. I was way too much of a scaredy cat for Halloween and so painfully shy that trick or treating was a nightmare all on its own. Valentine's Day was nice cuz it wasn't scary and full of red and pink. And Easter was super special too. All pastel colors and stuffed animals and a magical bunny! But as an adult these things all feel too much. There is no magic. Just more stuff I don't need and don't have room for. And I am not religious so it feels ungenuine to take part in these holidays which are usually religiously entwined. In highschool I started saying groundhogs day was my favorite cuz no one else really does and I had a fond memory of watching the movie on that day and it just being a really pleasant day overall.

LocustTheLurker

Bah humbug! I don't celebrate the standard holidays because they just don't mean anything to me. But in college, I had this zany professor who invented his own holidays, and we celebrated them as a class. So now I come up with my own holidays, too. They're usually anniversaries of important events--mostly jam band shows and hockey games. The holiest holiday is my Phishiversary (June 24, the anniversary of my first Phish show), which I refer to as "my birthday" because it is the day I meaningfully came into the world.

SorryNotSorry

St. Patrick's day, because I can score beef brisket on sale from the local supermarkets.

The only reason I still like Halloween and Christmas is for the candy and colored LED lights that go on sale afterward.

Wendy Testaburger

I like the Jewish holidays, although I am not religious, because my family gets together and eats good food.

I like Halloween because of chocolate and seeing people's costumes.

I like Canada day (Independence day July 1st) because of fireworks and barbecues.

Christmas, with Halloween being a very close second.

Grace Barton

I don't like any of the holidays. None of them hold any special meaning for me. Christmas I dislike the most, with New Years and Halloween as close joint-seconds. I actually feel very down between the months of October and February as a result of those holidays. (I am undecided where Bonfire Night fits in, as I am indifferent to this except when people try to make me get involved).

The only 'holiday' I ever truly liked was the school summer holiday (you did not specify they had to be public holidays, heh heh), and that's cause it was six weeks off school.

I like candy. Easter, Halloween, and Christmas have good candy. Christmas chocolate OMG. I buy like 25 advent calendars and eat one a day until Christmas.

Christmas and Easter. The only holidays we really have :p (beside from a few minor ones in summer when Jesus went to heaven).

WhenSummersGone

Well I like chocolate so any time a lot of it goes on sale is great lol. Besides that I like Halloween the best.

I don't like public holidays. They are mainly centered around religion, and I thoroughly loathe the fact that a belief system can dictate to disbelievers when holidays occur.

The only one I don't mind is the last Monday in August as that has no religious or political significance.

drjohnhwatson

I love Christmas because where I work we get off mid-day through Christmas Eve (which, stuff that, I'm asking for it off this year because I don't wanna work it; Christmas Eve is when my family celebrates most of it) and then we're off until the second week of January so NO WORK. Plus it's nice and cosy inside. And while I don't particularly like spending money and watching it leave me, I do adore buying gifts for people. AND I like getting things in the mail. Which works out nicely as I do most of my shopping online plus all of my friends are far away from me so! Gifts in the mail! :lol:. Plus Christmas songs! And Christmas decorations!! And then generally it gets fairly pretty around that time, air crisp and sky completely clear (rare in Indiana, my friends) so it looks like stars have just been flung into the sky by the handfuls with banks of snow...I dislike the cold but it makes me feel happy, at least at that point in time. Afterward, hang snow and hang the cold.

I also like Halloween for the dressing up and the liberty to eat candy with slightly less judgement, although I'm not certain if I'm going to wear a costume this year or not. I was V (from V for Vendetta) the first year I dressed up for work, then I was the 11th Doctor and no one got either one. Last year I was Captain America. I'm just not feeling it this year, it's so difficult to get around in a get-up in a restaurant, I don't want to get bleach on it, and plus I'm one of the few to dress up/the only one to dress up and I feel SO AWKWARD and EMBARRASSED, especially when co-workers are openly laughing at me. If I can work night crew with the kids, I might, but I don't know.

Thanksgiving is also nice because I get the day off and I get to stuff myself with starches, but that's about it in terms of what it has going for it. :lol:.

Archived