sex-averse vs sex-repulsed - can someone explain?

Minakie

First of all, I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss such a thing in AVEN or not, if I'm breaking any rules I apologize, as I have no intention of doing so (I browsed the ToS but I have ADHD and sometimes I miss things ^^'').

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between being sex-averse and being sex-repulsed? I came across some definitions online but they made me even more confused about where the difference lies between the two of them. Is it just the fact that sex-repulsed people can have more severe physical reactions (like vomiting or having panic attacks) or is it something else that differentiates the two?

Also, is it possible to such a thing to sorta fade over time? For instance for a sex-repulsed person to become only sex-averse or for a sex-averse to eventually become sex-indiferent, or is this more of a static thing like asexuality?

Sex-repulsion is deep disgust towards sex, sex-aversion isn't disgust but other reasons that make sex unbearable, for example sensory hypersensitivity (if youre touch-averse, it's logical to often be sex-averse too). I tend to think that sex-repulsion is mostly psychological whereas sex-aversion is mostly physiological.

Agent Rainbow

I honestly have no clue. All I know is that I think sex is super gross(like think about what else comes out of those areas, honestly). So could y'all tell me what this is, too?

Averse means avoidant and repulsed is intense disgust that may or may not result in physically feeling sick.

Well, the last things I was reading were this, this and this.

In my personal case, I don't really have a problem imagining myself doing things such as kissing, hugging, cuddling, holding hands. The same doesn't happen when it comes to anything more sexually related, whether or not it has intercourse involved. I never bothered with sex scenes on TV (not even in Game of Thrones lol), but I don't think I could ever do it myself. I don't know if it's just because I find it "gross" or if it's something else, sometimes I feel like I can't find the words, but trying to imagine it makes me feel really uncomfortable. Not sure where I stand regarding to making out though, since I never tried it, but I'm guessing I'd be more scared to somehow encourage my partner to try going for sex afterwards than the actual act of making out.

Not sure where that leaves me on these two definitions.

Moved thread from Asexual Q&A to The Grey Area, Sex and Related Discussions.

SkyWorld

Asexual Q&A Co-Moderator

I've always though of sex repulsed as someone who is absolutely disgusted by the idea/act of sex. Where as sex averse people just don't wan't/like sex. For me I'm okay with some sexual acts but insertion turns me off faster then someone blowing out a candle. It doesn't disgust me, I just find it irritating, unnecessary and weird.

There isn't really any significant difference. Most of the time you'll see both of these terms used, it just comes down to a personal preference/vocabulary thing.

scarletlatitude

In a sense they are the same thing. "Repulsed" is a stronger word, so it is most likely used by people who have a very strong dislike of sex. Where as, "adverse" is not as strong of a word. It depends on how much you don't like sex.

I'm neither repulsed or adverse (obviously, as I am the mod of the sex talk forum :P ) but there is still some TMI that is too TMI for me... so it all boils down to personal preferences really.

Archived