Coming Out As Asexual To My Family

APHEXA

I figured out that i was asexual ( Gray-A to be specific ) about two months ago. And to be honest, it made me very happy, because i was confused with my sexuality pretty much my whole life. I came out to my close group of friends weeks ago. They all accepted me, which made me think that coming out would be way easier than i thought.

WRONG!

My parents are kinda close-minded ( especially my dad ). He wouldnt accept anyone who's not 'normal' A.K.A. heterosexual in his family.

What makes this even worse, is that most people dont believe asexuality even exists ( which is my parents case ).

And i know that when i finally gather the courage to come out, my mom and dad are gonna laugh it off, and finally yell at me for being an attention seeker and a dumbass.

What am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to tell them that asexuality is real, and that i identify as a Gray-A?

I'd love to know your guys suggestions and tips..

Hi :cake:

Perhaps you could get them to read some articles on asexuality, or show them a documentary? Something that would convince them that it's a thing. You could start with 'hey, I found something I'd like you to read', and once they've read it, you could say, 'I really identify with this, you know, a lot feels familiar to me'. That way, they would be familiar with the concept first.

If they are too close-minded for that, I don't think you should come out unless you can withhold a confrontation, because you might get hurt in it :(

To be honest I'm going through the same thing right now, I managed to tell my mom because she's so open,

but not the rest of my family, because to me it feels like they would be less understanding and make a big joke

about it.

But, don't decide their reaction beforehand either! It might be completely different from what you've expected. :D

The best thing is to be a bit prepared beforehand, so you know what to say. Sounding like you know what you're talking about

is the key to not getting ignored or laughed at. If they try to joke because they get nervous or don't know what to say, don't laugh or smile.

Expect them to ask questions and have answers for them. OR if you're bad with words and don't really know how to explain,

Like a_fox said, you could show them an article or a documentary to make them understand better.

Try and explain how you've been confused for a long time and you're happy that you have your answer now.

It's difficult, but it'll feel much better afterwards. I wish you the best.

Lover Of Cats And Cake

Be prepared to do a lot of explaining. Have a few well-written articles and some documentary clips on standby to show them that your identity is real.

Moving thread from Asexual Q&A to Asexual Relationships.

SkyWorld

Asexual Q&A Co-Moderator

TheNickLouie

I came out to my friends first as well, and then took the bigger step of telling my family. It was the scariest moment of my life and I cried but I told my parents one at a time that I was asexual. My mom first because she is open minded. I told them that I am not sexually attracted to either gender and I was so scared of rejection but I think coming out is something that you have to do knowing that rejection is a possibility and that you may have to deal with that. I told them I have dated both genders but I also get rejected a lot because of my sexual preferences. My parents asked a few questions and then joked about it and I was so surprised that they accepted me because I am their daughter and they unconditionally love me even if I am not straight. Hope this helped.

Archived