Symbolism

Gehenna1992

This is sort of a more aesthetic question.

I've come across a great deal of symbolism within the community. Most of wich I was pretty clear on the meaning.
However there's one that seems to have been divided in two parties, this being the black ring on the right middle finger. I particularly like the symbol since it's ambiguous enough to not raise questions, it looks awesome and it gives me a sense of comfort for various reasons. However I've been told that the ring is specifically for "pure" aromantic asexuals (as it seems some of us are half-bloods <_<). But it did raise the question, is it fundamentaly meant for a specific group within the ace community or am I "allowed" to use it?

I understand the redundancy in this question since I would use the ring for what it means to me, but in a community sense, I'm actually curious.

booksaremysexlife

I don't know the meaning of the ring. I always assumed that instead of wanting to hook up, you could just flicking someone off with your right middle finger.....

That probably is not the reason. Maybe so people don't get it confused with a marriage ring?

Oh no, romantic asexuals can use it. Really anyone who is on the ace/aro spectrum can.

... Who told you that? :huh:

No, it's for the asexual community, and that includes... everyone in the ace community. Aro or not.

When I first came across the idea of black rings, I was curious about what prompted the idea. A search of the forums led me to this thread ("Black rings and other ways to show asexual pride") from 2005. It may not be representative of the entire community discussion regarding using black rings, but if you're wondering about how the idea originated it's probably a useful place to start.

As for the black ring being only for aromantic asexuals, I've never come across that myself. However, I've seen a few people asking the same question, which makes me wonder where that idea is coming from exactly. As others have already said, I was under the impression that it's a symbol meant for anyone on the asexual or aromantic spectrum

No, it's for the asexual community, and that includes... everyone in the ace community. Aro or not.

Some self righteous asshat in the youth center I work at. It just got me curious. It's really annoying though, we already have a hard time with being accepted in the LGBT community the last thing we need is inner segregation... But yeah apparently (not really) there's a master race of asexuals now...

But yeah apparently (not really) there's a master race of asexuals now...

No...

People are different, regardless of what orientation, let it be sexual, romantic, sensual, etc. Nobody's better than the other and nobody is worse than the other. To think someone's orientation is "superior" than the other is elitist... which is strongly discouraged here. I'm not saying that you are, but I'm saying that there is no "master" of whatever sexuality (or lack thereof).

No...

People are different, regardless of what orientation, let it be sexual, romantic, sensual, etc. Nobody's better than the other and nobody is worse than the other. To think someone's orientation is "superior" than the other is elitist... which is strongly discouraged here. I'm not saying that you are, but I'm saying that there is no "master" of whatever sexuality (or lack thereof).

Oh I know. It's just what he seemed to be stating. The dude is a complete douchebag and very set on his bullshit "theories".

Some self righteous asshat in the youth center I work at. It just got me curious. It's really annoying though, we already have a hard time with being accepted in the LGBT community the last thing we need is inner segregation... But yeah apparently (not really) there's a master race of asexuals now...

I've never heard of those claims before, but they're incorrect; I've heard that a ring on the middle finger symbolizes temporary or permanent singleness, but the black ring on the middle finger can be a symbol for all asexuals. I agree that it's bad when people within the community try to enforce hierarchies.

• 1 month later...

hello :) I was really interested in this topic, but just to make sure, is it for everyone everyone? I mean, as a gray a, am I allowed to wear it? I don't want to sound or look disrespectful ><

you can most definitely wear it! youre as much a part of this community as any other person on the asexual/aromantic spectrum! show your pride :)

you can most definitely wear it! youre as much a part of this community as any other person on the asexual/aromantic spectrum! show your pride :)

I'll bet my bed that there are people out there wearing black rings just because they like black rings and have no clue and/or don't care about symbolism of any kind.