Can I be Pagan if I'm asexual?

Avis Nigris

I've loved the idea of a nature based religion for the longest time, and I understand the importance of sex in nature, after all it's basically what keeps nature alive, of course it would be considered sacred,but I never expected it to push the need for sex as much as I've found throughout my research. I'm an aromantic agender asexual, which I knew might be an issue if I perused a pagan religion, I just didn't realize to what extent it would be, but I'm getting off topic, would it still be possible for me to persue a pagan religion even if I have no drive to have sex and despise the thought of having kids of my own? Surely I could persue this in my own way, for example fertility for me has always had to do with my cherished plants. But I guess aside from just asking if I can be asexual and pagan, are there any other aces out there who are?

YES.

The biggest yes!

there is a thread in Intersectionality dedicated to asexual pagans, although it's not as active as it use to be, there is still members that consider themselves to be such!

Hope this helps!

One does not have to be related to the other. Paganism comes in many different forms and even though fertility and sexuality might take an important role in some books, it won't at all in others. I've seen some specific Pagans who believe in sex-based rituals, mainly a sex-as-an-offering kind of thing, but I haven't seen it as a mainstream thing. Maybe I'm just lucky. May I ask what books or specific branch of Paganism you're researching?

I've never seen anyone making a correlation between being sexual and being Pagan. If they had, I most certainly would have been uncomfortable with that! Mostly I see some traditional paths, but a vast majority of people who make up their own unique paths. So depending on what you're reading, it could just be an author who is trying to push their own bs um... I mean, unique ideas. Pro tip: for a lot of authors, once you've gotten into Paganism a bit, you are not any less informed than them and you don't need to swallow the pill they're trying to give you. Beginners may make that mistake - I know I did when I first started out and got the wrong sources and ended up believing that witchcraft was either Wicca or Satanism and no other options, and Wicca didn't completely agree with me. Thankfully, I know better now. If it doesn't resonate with you or feel right, just ignore it. There are a lot of Pagans with a lot of different ideas. Some of them are even good. :P

Yes. It's not your fault the human body has not yet learned that the infant mortality has dropped like a lead weight over the past century or so.

One does not have to be related to the other. Paganism comes in many different forms and even though fertility and sexuality might take an important role in some books, it won't at all in others. I've seen some specific Pagans who believe in sex-based rituals, mainly a sex-as-an-offering kind of thing, but I haven't seen it as a mainstream thing. Maybe I'm just lucky. May I ask what books or specific branch of Paganism you're researching?

I've never seen anyone making a correlation between being sexual and being Pagan. If they had, I most certainly would have been uncomfortable with that! Mostly I see some traditional paths, but a vast majority of people who make up their own unique paths. So depending on what you're reading, it could just be an author who is trying to push their own bs um... I mean, unique ideas. Pro tip: for a lot of authors, once you've gotten into Paganism a bit, you are not any less informed than them and you don't need to swallow the pill they're trying to give you. Beginners may make that mistake - I know I did when I first started out and got the wrong sources and ended up believing that witchcraft was either Wicca or Satanism and no other options, and Wicca didn't completely agree with me. Thankfully, I know better now. If it doesn't resonate with you or feel right, just ignore it. There are a lot of Pagans with a lot of different ideas. Some of them are even good. :P

I've only recently realised paganism was even an option, so I'll be honest and admit I fell into the trap of only hearing about Wicca, so that's what I've currently been researching, I live in utah currently which has a strong Mormon influence, and I've found its pretty difficult to find resources...Do you think I could maybe private message you to ask about the different branches and maybe some books you would recommend? Because Wicca isn't sitting right with me either, and even google wasn't helping me find any other forms or paganism.

Do you think I could maybe private message you to ask about the different branches and maybe some books you would recommend? Because Wicca isn't sitting right with me either, and even google wasn't helping me find any other forms or paganism.

Whoops I read this wrong and messaged you first. Let me know if it didn't go through. I'm laughing at myself though because I said "I don't know much about witchcraft" and then wrote 1,600 words for a crash-course into 25 different subtypes of Pagan/witch.

Do you think I could maybe private message you to ask about the different branches and maybe some books you would recommend? Because Wicca isn't sitting right with me either, and even google wasn't helping me find any other forms or paganism.

Whoops I read this wrong and messaged you first. Let me know if it didn't go through. I'm laughing at myself though because I said "I don't know much about witchcraft" and then wrote 1,600 words for a crash-course into 25 different subtypes of Pagan/witch.

Oh don't worry about it XD I'm actually relieved that you messaged me first because I would have had no idea where to start

Yes you can be pagan. There is no requirement to have sex to be pagan. Pagans are generally accepting of less common sexual/gender identities. My wife and I are both pagan. She is asexual.

Elluna Hellen

You are asexual and you can be whatever the damn hell you please. And if anyone tells you otherwise well they can go suck it.

To put things a little more... nicely....

I would be very surprised if you would be excluded from any religion because you're asexual. :)

I struggle sometimes with the very gendered pagan gods and goddesses in a lot of the more mainstream traditions, since I sort of reject that narrative - but their are alternatives, particularly in the Heathen traditions I think (I only know the outskirts, and I'm only really familiar with European traditions). For example I know people who venerate Loki, who is very prominently non gender traditional.