Cosplay & Cons

jack616

Any other cosplayers about? ^_^

I'm in England, UK. Love Cons and cosplaying, but sometimes feel a bit... er, distanced from other cosplayers who likely aren't Asexual? i dunno. Just thought i'd make a thread anyway. ^_^ :cake:

EmotionalAndroid

I am relatively new to the cosplay scene, but I do enjoy it. I've been to three cons thus far, two of which I have cosplayed at. Dressing up is so much fun and being able to "become" a different person/character is exciting. I always enjoy looking at other people's costumes and seeing who they want to be.

Yay ^_^ ^_^

yeah that's the best part, stepping into another role.

i love other people's ideas and cosplays, wish i was braver to ask for photos tho. lol

Yoo yeah, working on my new poison ivy cosplay rn, although con season is nearly over might make itbfor the last one where i live in Scotland. Deecon is the next big one for me though

Does it still count as cosplay if I don't always go as a specific character, but just kinda make up my own?

I love all sorts of costumes but I don't get to do it nearly enough, and I wish I had a friend who was into it too.

I just recently started cosplaying after years of wanting to. I'll be going to my first con in January as Makoto from Free. I'm really excited to start cosplaying and meet people with similar interests as my own (:

I know nothing of cosplaying, but since joining the asex community I've seen a ton of cosplayers on different websites/forums... damn, I never knew people were so good at this stuff

keep it up, creative people with costume making skills

Does it still count as cosplay if I don't always go as a specific character, but just kinda make up my own?

I love all sorts of costumes but I don't get to do it nearly enough, and I wish I had a friend who was into it too.

Of course it counts! ^_^

just like LARPing can create a character too.

Does anyone in the UK go to the London cons? i cant make October :( but there's a Con in Brighton in November :)

Marshmallow Tree

I cosplay. Well I used to a lot recently I haven't had the time. I used to go to London Comic Con a lot but that was a few years ago :c I like casual cosplaying a lot though...you look so stylish, and it fits people don't know that you're cosplaying a character.

Yeah I've gone to Otakon in Baltimore the last two years and cosplayed both times.

inactive12345

I've been to Youmacon twice, and Motor City Comic Con once. I haven't been able to go to as many cons as I would like since I moved (need to start making some nerdy friends in the area...). Currently planning another cosplay with a friend to go Trick-or-Treating on Halloween, though, which is going to be awesome.

Marshmallow Tree, casual cosplay is my fave!! Going to be doing that again soon ^_^

I'm in New York and I've been to Rochester Comic Con (RocCon) and New York Comic Con (NYCC). Obviously, NYCC was better because it was bigger and there were so many people and panels. I'm going again this year, I do cosplay (okay once) but it wasn't that big and I hope in the future I can dress as a Spartan from Halo. I also hope to go to San Diego Comic Con next year but that's still undecided

I'd love to visit the US Cons, they have all the people/panels I want to see ^_^

Not sure how I'd deal with the scale though! Lol Probably need smelling salts a few times.

inactive12345

jack616, if the crowds at really big US cons freak you out, there are also some smaller ones that still pull in some cool panels. For example Metro City Comic Con in Michigan wasn't too crowded when I went earlier this year, and Billy Boyd came to do a panel and deviantArt user geothebio had an art booth.

I'm also willing to bet my left arm that there are other small-ish cons all over the country that you can check out, should you ever get an opportunity to come to the States.

Flamingcheesecake, ahh thank you! *high five*

Believe me I'd love to visit stateside again one day! ^_^

I normally cosplay VOCALOID characters. Gonna try and get my hands on Len's Senbonzakura outfit before Halloween, so I can wear it for Halloween as well as a con near my house in February.

Since I love showing things off, here's the Senbonzakura design:

86658676bd.jpg

Grace Barton

I went to Amecon a few times, but haven't been to any convention since about 2008. I just drifted away from the scene. While I loved being surrounded by other anime fans and cosplayers, it was just a bit overwhelming at times.

I was never much of a cosplayer. I didn't have the skill to make cosplays unless they were simple, and unless they looked realistic I was never happy with them. Especially when you see some of the awesome cosplayers who put tons of effort in (I was at a Final Fantasy photoshoot dressed as Elena and there was a Red XIII cosplayer in a fully detailed furry suit. Walked on four legs and everything. Jealous? Me?). I've since given up the hobby altogether (no sense if I a. don't go to conventions anymore, and b. Can't afford to put the effort in) but I can still appreciate a good cosplay. Nowadays the most I do is clip my hair back and wear a Syo Kurusu hat.

Nai, I luv designs like that! ^_^ wish there was one for everyone, ever!! Lol

Flamingcheesecake, I'm in the south of England and the bigger ones here tend to be in London.

Altho I'm sure there are more in other regions! I just haven't been.

Seems to depend on the theme of the con? Hyper Japan, MCM con, London super comic con, and LFCC.

There's probably more!

I've never been to a con...I'd like to someday though. I'm not sure if I'd really feel comfortable with cosplay, but it's something I think about every now and again. If I was going to do it, I'd probably go for Casey Jones from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I'm rather fond of various fashion blogs, which is more of a casual cosplay, everyday outfit inspiration :)

this disney one is cute, has a few superheroes too! ^_^

I've never been to a con...I'd like to someday though. I'm not sure if I'd really feel comfortable with cosplay, but it's something I think about every now and again. If I was going to do it, I'd probably go for Casey Jones from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Omg, you should!! ^_^

dDFdcKE.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I recently got into cosplaying this year and went with my best friend to my first con the same year as well it's where I live and called called anime matsuri I had a lot of fun (which is shocking for me due to me not dealing well with crowds.) My first cosplays though were pretty simple , the first day I was dressed as hiro Hamada from the Disney film big hero 6 and the second day I dressed as a character I designed myself. I'm also going again next year dressed on the first day as naoto shirogane and on the second day yosuke hanamura both form the game and anime persona 4 .

i've been cosplaying to a few cons now - mcm october a couple times, and lfcc in london! spread out over a good few years though, they're so expensive... but i've cosplayed the 11th doctor, sherlock, frederick chilton and zacharie from the game off :D i'm so glad i got into it though, even though it's a bit stressful i personally feel a lot more confident in costume surrounded by other cosplayers

I've only been to one con in my life and that was last year for my birthday. It was so much fun. I definitely want to start going to more cons whenever I can and I want to start cosplaying too. Didn't get a chance to do it last year

BlueButterflies

I've been to about five different cons. Only three of them I actually cosplayed for. Anime Central in Chicago, is my main one. I've been going to that for 6? years now. And I already bought my badge for next year. Indy Pop-con in Indianapolis was a new one and I went because my friends who run Jaltoid were gonna be there and I hadn't seen them in 5ever. I also went to Wizard World Chicago one day this year.

My current cosplays are Lilo, Magenta (Rocky Horror), Toph, and female!Carlos (Night Vale). I have a Codex (The Guild) cosplay half done, and a couple older ones I haven't worn in a long time. I'm also going to make a ren faire-eqsue dress soon. So that'll be an option, as well.

I like my cosplays to be accurate, too. So i get what that one person is saying.

I've been cosplaying for 9 years and have been to a handful of different cons. Mostly those within the tristate area but thats still a thing. This new con surfaced in white plains NY called liberty city anime convention and us NYers can use another con besides comic con which doesn't really cater to anime like that anyway.

I haven't been to a lot of cons, but the ones I've been to were awesome! I've cosplayed Roxy Richter from Scott Pilgrim and Kenzi from Lost Girl and I've dressed up as a Hogwarts student plenty of times as well since it's little to no work. I tend to go with costumes that are similar to my own style considering I don't have the talent nor money to go all out. (plus I'm struggling w/ body issues) I was Helena from Orphan Black for Halloween last year and I'm currently working on a Harley Quinn cosplay, though!

Archived