Being Called Queer

Being Called Queer  

1. 1. How do you feel when you are called queer? (Check all that apply)

• I like being called queer.
    • I am comfortable being called queer.
    • It depends on who calls me queer.
    • I call myself queer, but I do not like it when others call me queer.
    • I am uncomfortable being called queer.
    • I do not like being called queer.
    • I do not call myself queer, nor do I like it when others call me queer.
    • I do not call myself queer, but I do not mind if others call me queer.
    • Being called queer does not affect me at all.
    • Other (Please Comment)

This poll is closed to new votes

I wouldn't mind, but it depends who. Not family, maybe close friends.

The pride center that I am at a lot often gets asked this question. And i remember talking with someone who asked me this, and I said, that Queer encompasses everyone within the LGBT community without leaving a group out. If you are to say "lesbian" you're not mentioning bisexuals, pansexuals, asexuals, gays, etc. but Queer I still think can be used to describe anyone within the community.

I said that I call myself queer, but I'm uncomfortable with others calling me queer...only because I was thinking of it being used as a slur. I'm okay with people that know I'm queer referring to my sexuality as such, but if it's someone I haven't told or doesn't know or something (at least I don't think they know) then I'm not cool with it. I don't need to be called names.

I said that I call myself queer, but I'm uncomfortable with others calling me queer...only because I was thinking of it being used as a slur. I'm okay with people that know I'm queer referring to my sexuality as such, but if it's someone I haven't told or doesn't know or something (at least I don't think they know) then I'm not cool with it. I don't need to be called names.

I feel you there. I have trouble thinking of it as anything other than an insult to be honest. The only people I'd be fine calling me queer are people in the LGBT+ community really.

queer = strange

I think I'm pretty strange

so I'm pretty okay with being called queer, too.

Nobody ever has though, not even in juvenile environments like high school XD

I said that I call myself queer, but I'm uncomfortable with others calling me queer...only because I was thinking of it being used as a slur.

To me it would be like being called a nerd/geek. I'm just like "well, thanks!"

I said it "depends on who calls me queer." It depends on how it's said as well. I am definitely genderqueer, and as far as attraction goes, yeah, I'm a bit queer in that sense, too. So I'm fine with it in a pride/identity sense...but if it's used as an insult, then no.

I say only LGBTQIA+ people can use it to describe themselves. So I'll use it on myself if I deem necessary and other people if they say it's fine.

Toby The Casual Prince

I am okay with it, and I do identify as queer. But I suppose it depends on who is saying it?

I don't like it because it used to mean 'weird' or 'odd', and is mostly used as a derogatory term. I'm asexual, and I will accept no other term to describe me.

I refer to myself as queer. I almost prefer it over asexual just because I'm questioning my gender so it allows me to potentially include my sexuality OR my sexuality and my gender.

I'm not out to most people, so I haven't really been called queer, so I'm not really sure how I'd feel about it. I know it bothers my mom, as I referred to myself as queer once and she said she didn't like it because she perceived it as a slur. If I were out to the person and they didn't say it in a clearly derogatory way, I would be fine with it.

What I wouldn't be fine with is being called "a" queer. Same with calling someone "a gay" or "a black," it just makes the person sound like an uneducated bigot who's trying to say "you know, that kind of person. Because we all know how those people act."

Personally I don't like the term. Whilst I understand that it's meaning has shifted with time, and there are people who are comfortable with the term, I was raised in an era when queer was only ever used as a offensive term for homosexuality.

If, someone says that queer is their preferred description of themselves I will gladly use the term,but unless invited to do so I won't describe someone as queer to avoid causing offence.

I don't want people describing me as queer simply because of the baggage the term still carries

I don't really mind the word queer as long as it's not being used as a slur. I call myself queer all of the time. It doesn't bother me. I've never actually had anyone else call me queer before so I'm not sure how I feel about other people saying it yet. I imagine it wouldn't bother me though as long as they're not saying it to be a jerk

I haven't even thought about it before, but I guess I wouldn't mind. I like the word 'queer', it sounds cute.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

I personally don't like it. I see it as derogatory still and just an ugly word. I wouldn't want anyone to call me genderqueer or queer. If someone said this is there preferred term I would uses it for their comfort, but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

People can call me queer all they want. If you're relevant to my life, I don't mind. If not, it doesn't matter to me at all. If you use it to insult me, I'm more amused than annoyed.

allrightalready

it was used too hatefully against me so i don't like it

I don't call myself queer and I don't care if others do. But to be honest I have never heard it used in a non-insulting way.

I am definitely "queer", but people typically use it as an insult, so yeah. I'm fine with being called that if it's in a neutral or ironic context (I have a friend and we call each other queer a lot, it's all good fun), but it depends more on why it happens than anything else.

It doesn't affect me. I don't identify as queer but I do kind of fit the bill so I really don't care if someone were to slap that label on me.

I don't mind being called queer. That said, we should discourage people from labeling others because that is just not right.

I don't mind being called queer. That said, we should discourage people from labeling others because that is just not right.

Yeah, I agree with you. It has kinda recently became a term of endearment between people under the LGBT+ umbrella though, so with that people's responses to the word "queer" have changed.

I'll call myself queer, but if someone else does it I won't like it.

I'll say it to myself because I know why I am using it and how it applies to me, but others (probably) won't. They may have the best of intentions, but they just might not get it.

• 2 weeks later...
Marshmallow Tree

I don't mind it. What I DO mind is when members of the LGBT+ community believe that it is wholly wrong to identify yourself as queer, unless you are LGBT and NOTHING else. I had somebody claim it was to "reclaim" the word. If we ignore the success the word has had of being claimed...which is partly due to the (+) part of the LGBT using it...Yes, reclaiming the word by excluding minorities which are a part of the LGBT from using it suuuure is helping. It's not creating a divide at allll. Truth be told they don't care about the (+). But hey, if they want to interrogate every person using the word "queer" and be all "Are you l/g/b/t??? YES? That's fine carry on. Oh you're NOT?? You're evil! You're wrong! Don't use it...it's offensive! Only we can use it!" then whatever. I'm just glad it's the few.

I identify as queer, so in some contexts I wouldn't mind if others call me queer too.

However, since I am not out to everyone, the only reason some people would call me queer is if it was an insult. I don't like being called queer as an insult, or because the person assumes something about me that I haven't told them myself, if that makes sense.

Sleepy Skeleton

I'm not queer and I don't like it when people call me or others like me queer. I don't like the word at all.

MarieIsEatingTacobell

I think I've referred to myself as queer once. It's just not something I label myself, so others don't call me that either. Although, I wouldn't mind if someone did I suppose.

Archived