career choices

chair jockey

If I'm ever going to work again, I need to retrain, and I want (1) something where I have a snowball's chance in hell of finding work, (2) I can actually learn to do the work and keep the job, (3) it won't take forever to retrain.

One option is supply chain management. I'm already a student at the university that offers a one-year certificate in it.

Another option is chemistry lab tech, which is a two-year program at community college that my university credits could shrink to one year.

My math is shit, but I could learn bookkeeping if I could find a boss who'd take care of the sales and collections garbage involved in such things.

Those are my ideas so far.

Comments?

you don't really need to be good at math for bookkeeping... just have to be willing to enjoy being miserable JUST a little more than you enjoy death

you don't really need to be good at math for bookkeeping... just have to be willing to enjoy being miserable JUST a little more than you enjoy death

Can you elaborate?

If I had to pick, I'd go for the chemistry lab tech. It sounds like it could be more varied and interesting, especially if you can condense the course into a single year. Though the supply chain management one would be handy since you're already at the university. As for bookkeeping, I'd probably forego that if math is not your best subject. Still it's worth considering, though it might take more work.

Would be worth looking into the average salary for the jobs to see what you could potentially earn, or the career progression to what doors it could open for you in the future.

If you're somewhat computer savvy or willing to learn, IT can be a very good field to go into. Entry level desktop support positions pay reasonably well, and moving up is more about industry certifications than college coursework, particularly early on. Once you've got a few years of experience, there are also a lot of advancement opportunities or related areas you can transition into -- system administration, database administration, networking, security, etc.

Can you elaborate?

I mean it's tedious work that really doesn't require you to do any heavy math at all... you do have to work with numbers, but if you can handle a spreadsheet and data entry, that's the technical end of it

it's more about being ORGANIZED (which is why I can never be an accountant again even if I didn't hate the job). If you are organized, can keep things in order, and handle MS excel and word, that's what it really is.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Tyrnis. IT is where it's at. I've thought about going back for this myself. It's a little disconcerting that most big corporations want a college degree over experience though. I guess that is why my "unhelpful" desk at work is what it is. :(

Good luck on your career change!

• 1 year later...
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Depending what you're good at and wish to do it's really up to you. If you wish to do what you want in a career by all means try it, go for it. 

Archived