Suggest some anime for me to give a try?

lithio

I really need some new anime to watch, but am having trouble deciding what to give a go.

I'm a gigantic fan of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, YuruYuri, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Love Live! to give you an idea of what I really do like. Yeah, I like things with female protagonist, and female-female romance is not a bad thing in my book either. Having said that I don't want hentai cus ew.

Please don't recommend Sailor Moon, or something like it - as in a series that has a million filler episodes. Sailor Moon could have been so great to me but there were just too many episodes to keep my interest. I will be watching Crystal when the dvd is released, but that's neither here nor there.

Any help?

Full metal panic and Steins:Gate are good ones.

Also if you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop, that's something to give a try - it's very different from what you describe being into, but it's a classic and it really shows how artful anime can potentially be. It's pretty much a gold standard. If you're in doubt trying watching episode 5, and then start from the beginning again. None of these series are very long and they're all in hq on kissanime. Enjoy!

How about Rose of Versailles? I haven't seen it yet, myself, but I heard that Utena was inspired by it.

Also, since you seem to like the magical girl genre, I think stuff written by Arina Tanemura might be nice, but then again I haven't seen the TV adaptations of her manga.

You might enjoy Lucky Star, if you're a bit geeky.

Then there's Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey, which are super great and have fem protagonists, but I'm afraid they're also very different from the shows you mentioned... :unsure:

AHHHH I love those anime too!!! (Although you already knew about PMMM and YuruYuri from our PMs cx)

I don't know what anime you've seen, so forgive me if I mention any that you've already watched.

• Psycho-Pass - Written by the same guy who wrote PMMM, so expect feels. It has a female protagonist too. It can be quite graphic at times though; I don't know if you're okay with that.
  • Love Lab - Has female main characters, and I found as funny and entertaining as YuruYuri.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion - Utena is regarded by some as the shoujo version of this, so you might like it.
  • Kill la Kill - I never thought I'd like this due to the slight but frequent nudity and such, but I watched it recently and I loved it. I noticed it's somewhat similar to Utena in certain ways.
  • K-On! - Similar to Love Live! and YuruYuri in that they're all girls in a school club. It's pretty funny and is touching at the end.

If you are looking for yuri there are some out there... Sasameki Koto/Whispered Words isn't bad, though I prefer the manga. The same thing with Sweet Blue Flowers. Though in general if you are looking for yuri manga is the way I personally choose.

Then there is Yurikuma Arashi. Which is by the creator of Utena which some people like, but honestly I just didn't care enough to keep watching after episode 2. The series is more Adolescence of Utena than Revolutionary Girl Utena, so that is something to keep in mind

If you like the whole cute girls doing cute things series my favroite has to be Minami-ke. The sequel series aren't bad but there is obvious dip in quality as you go on.

Personally I have gotten away from anime so I may not be the most help with newer stuff. The only series I am looking forward to is the new Lupin, that and the western release of The Boy and the Beast. Though it may be out of right field you may want to take a look at Yatterman Night, from what I have seen it is an excellent series.

Vision of Escaflowne - it came out around the same time as Evangelion, but never caught on the same extent. Drama, some romance, and action. Great characters and setting, villains with complex motivations, plus lovely music (Yoko Kanno!). Overall, probably my favorite series. 26 episodes. Strong female lead character who doesn't get relegated to damsel in distress and doesn't have to be a badass warrior to be strong, either. It centers on Hitomi, a Japanse schoolgirl, who does tarot readings for her friends for fun, but begins to have stronger visions, including one of a boy fighting a dragon. She's running track one night with her friends when a pillar of light appears in the sky and the boy she saw in her vision appears, followed by the dragon. She sees another vision of the dragon killing him, and is able to save him from the attack, and after that he defeats it. Eventually, she's drawn by the pillar of light to Gaia, a world where the earth and the moon appear together in the sky and is drawn into the brewing conflict as the Zaibach empire attempts to bring peace to Gaia in its own rather brutal fashion. Oh, and a good example of an asexual romance, to boot.

Last Exile - Drama/action, steampunk. 26 episodes. Another one set to the background of major military efforts, but manages to remain a drama more focused on the characters.

Anything from Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli that you haven't already seen. This probably goes without saying, but there are some people who watch anime and aren't familiar with stories like Naussica, Porco Rosso, Mononoke HIme, Spirited Away, and so on, so I'll mention them just in case.

I've only seen a couple. I really liked Soul Eater. Lots of action and interesting characters. "Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, the series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon meister and a human weapon. Trying to make the latter a "Death Scythe" and thus fit for use by the Shinigami, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch."

If you like cars you might like Initial D.

I also have Spice and Wolf and it's rated good, but I haven't gotten around to watching it. It's less action and more storytelling that you have to pay attention to.

Based upon your tastes, I can of only a few anime:

A Certain Scientific Railgun - From what I read, this one hits all of your requirements. I can also confirm that it is really good (compared to its counterpart).

School-Live - This one I feel hits pretty much all of the requirements, just give it at least an entire episode before deciding. Just completed airing in Japan, so there is no official dub.

Riddle Story of the Devil - Definitely a shoujo-ai (female-female romance, but no sex). Doesn't really have the supernatural/magic vibe, but still contains large amounts of action.

Angel Beats - Hits the supernatural/magic requirement, but not truly the all female lead requirement. While the main character is male, the main protagonist is female (basically, the story is told from the male characters perspective, but the lead is female).

Based upon your tastes, I can of only a few anime:

A Certain Scientific Railgun - From what I read, this one hits all of your requirements. I can also confirm that it is really good (compared to its counterpart).

School-Live - This one I feel hits pretty much all of the requirements, just give it at least an entire episode before deciding. Just completed airing in Japan, so there is no official dub.

Riddle Story of the Devil - Definitely a shoujo-ai (female-female romance, but no sex). Doesn't really have the supernatural/magic vibe, but still contains large amounts of action.

Angel Beats - Hits the supernatural/magic requirement, but not truly the all female lead requirement. While the main character is male, the main protagonist is female (basically, the story is told from the male characters perspective, but the lead is female).

Seconding School-Live! It's kinda like PMMM, but I won't say anything more in order to not spoil it. ;)

Oh, and almost forgot: I've heard good things about Princess Tutu, although I haven't seen it, myself.

If you're looking for BAMF female protagonists, I'd say Kill la Kill (kind of magical girls on meth-ish), Michiko and Hatchin, or Psycho-Pass. If you want something kind of laid-back, maybe Twin Spica/Futatsu no Spica or Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth.

• 11 months later...

Posting again, LOL

Little Witch Academia is a series of 2 short films (soon to be made into a show!) that's very cute. Yuuki Yuna is a Hero is supposed to be a lot like PMMM. I didn't take to it but maybe you'll like it. Nichijou is batshit crazy but it's sooooo funny.

I really need some new anime to watch, but am having trouble deciding what to give a go.

I'm a gigantic fan of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, YuruYuri, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Love Live! to give you an idea of what I really do like. Yeah, I like things with female protagonist, and female-female romance is not a bad thing in my book either. Having said that I don't want hentai cus ew.

Please don't recommend Sailor Moon, or something like it - as in a series that has a million filler episodes. Sailor Moon could have been so great to me but there were just too many episodes to keep my interest. I will be watching Crystal when the dvd is released, but that's neither here nor there.

Any help?

female protagonists? female-female romance? sounds like great taste

dump of recent stuff

anime about idols doing idol things and being really strong:

im@s - pro idols become stronger and become toppu aidolu

locodol yatte mita - some normal high school girls tried becoming locodols

lovelive sunshine - an obvious cashout on lovelive, but delivers an amount of additional value. slightly gay

anime about making anime and stuff

shirobako - some girls enter the anime industry and eventually make an anime together after becoming real adults. supposedly realistic.

sore seiyuu - some girls become a seiyuu unit and goof around. not very realistic, but mostly dumb fun

"magical girls"

prism illya - half parody of mahou shoujo tropes, half blatant fanservice. very gay. lyrical nanoha is probably required prerequisite material

normal girl meets friends who are more kirakira than her

hanayamata - girl meets friends and they yosakoi

yama no susume - girl meets friends and they climb mountains

fun shows without much substance

kiniro mosaic - british girls come and have lots of fun. very gay

gochiusa - the most mofumofu show around. pretty gay

wakaba girl - rich girl experiences "normal" high school life

pan de peace - bread + girls. medium gay

sansha sanyou - 3 leaves, 3 colors

yuyushiki - some girls go to an afterschool where they look stuff up on the internet. very gay

sabagebu - selfish sociopath main girl backstabs her temmates and lots of people get shot to death. good action

kitakubu katsudou - pure humor show, they make lots of pretty good jokes with lots of buildups too

pandora - android robot girl thing blows stuff up. low budget, very gay

Then there is Yurikuma Arashi. Which is by the creator of Utena which some people like, but honestly I just didn't care enough to keep watching after episode 2. The series is more Adolescence of Utena than Revolutionary Girl Utena, so that is something to keep in mind

yurikumaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I liked penguindrum more than yuri kuma though

If you're looking for BAMF female protagonists, I'd say Kill la Kill (kind of magical girls on meth-ish), Michiko and Hatchin, or Psycho-Pass. If you want something kind of laid-back, maybe Twin Spica/Futatsu no Spica or Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth.

what did you guys think of psycho pass s2 and the movie? They go in a kind of different direction from the original series.

Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illiya if you really want that female romance. Its also magical girl. Though be warned it has some fan service but great fights and well animated.

what did you guys think of psycho pass s2 and the movie? They go in a kind of different direction from the original series.

Season 2 was okay. Not as good as the first. It might've been if they'd given it more episodes, cuz S2 only had 11 episodes while S1 had 22. I haven't seen the movie yet <_<

okay I'm all for female protagonists, yuri feelings, and all girl casts etc myself

Utena has been a very favourite of mine.

Someone mentioned Rose of the Versailles and I definitely recommend that as well. (if you are a manga reader try the manga as well, it;s more yurilicious than the anime)

other titles, and since you are not up for old Sailor moon or Crystal as of yet (I definitely recommend both when you have the time)

from specifically yuri titles I suggest:

- Strawberry panic (it is for mature audience so there is a bit of suggestive content but nothing graphic)

- Maria sama ga miteru (also yurilicious, but very subtle about it, you know it's there)

- yuri kuma arashi (ikuhara made it, ikuhara made Utena so give it a try, it's totally crazy)

- My hime - mai otome (girls + magic + moster fights, just epic)

- Aoi Hana

-Oniisama e (from the same creator as Rose of the Versailles, basically the same characters but in modern setting, with different personalities and goals. Girls in love with girls, the manga is even better in this case as well, very old but gorgeous art)

- Simoun (older anime, magical society with all people born female)

- Noir

- R.O.D

- Kanazuki no miko

- Kashimashi -girl meets girl

Anime that are not in the yuri category but they include or imply some yuriness

- Hibike! Euphonium (an anime about a school marching band, lots of band drama, and some really good yuri vibes between the two protagonist girls)

- Azumanga Daioh (there is some yuriness there, but a must watch for the crack humour, if that's something you enjoy)

- Akuma no Riddle

There is also another that goes a bit explicit and graphic at moments called Mnemosyne

these are at the top of my head right now

I can recommend manga as well with the same settings if you like those too

• 4 months later...

Favourite Anime I've seen recently

I'm in love with this one

these are also good

Archived