Incredible Agender Moments

SkyWorld

Playing certain video game characters because of their abilities and appearance instead of only using characters that match my biological gender.

I'm having my friend help me copy my Pokemon off of my DS so I can replay Pokemon White with overpowered pokemon and with the female character instead because that character's clothes are cooler than the other's.

7 hours ago, jackdog1 said:

Playing certain video game characters because of their abilities and appearance instead of only using characters that match my biological gender.

Who does that anyway? I mean, strictly only playing characters of your biological gender?

Guest And Peggy
2 hours ago, sindi said:

Who does that anyway? I mean, strictly only playing characters of your biological gender?

A lot of people. You'd be surprised.

I tend to pick female avatars simply because of increased customization options (they can be masculine-presenting or feminine), while guy avatars are generally rigid in customization. Though I have 2 exceptions- My Pokemon Go! character is male, and my Pokemon Sun character too. I'm glad the Sun character has longish hair, for a slightly more androgynous appearance.

EmotionalAndroid

When I play Wii Fit the trainer sometimes says "When working out, try to visualize your ideal body!". This always makes me laugh because no amount of exercise could get me my ideal body.

In regards to playing as video game characters of a particular gender: I actually never play as my biological gender unless I am forced to. I figure, if you are given the ability to be someone completely different in this virtual realm that has no effects on the real world, why be what you already are? That's boring.

Luftschlosseule

I invited a friend to a movie night but told him he might end up being the only guy since I invited ... people. And the other people happen to be women.
But while saying the sentence my mind switched on and I finished with "...well, but I am the only agender person, so...".
That was kind of fun, since he was able to laugh with me.

In the end, only one other friend came over, so we were even: A woman, a man, an agender person.

I am very proud because my friends all tend to get along fine. The only risk is that you have to nudge them towards a topic if you want to break friendly silence between all of us introverts.

Another fine moment occured while listening to Welcome to Night Vale:

Get the body you've always wanted. We know where it's buried and can lend you a shovel.

I laughed so hard I missed the first few sentences after the introduction.

Mychemicalqpr

Before my realization: for some reason, on things I had to fill out, with a gender question, I would select, "prefer not to answer/other" whenever I had the option.  No I'm not weird or anything, I just don't see why anyone has to know, because why should it matter? That's normal right?  

When you call everyone a "human" because it's just easier 😂 Sometimes "human female", sometimes "human male", sometimes just "human person". Because *shrug*. 

Also also I relate to fictional characters' personalities first and wish that I could just write people and not make them have a gender. Oh wait I can 😏😏😏

Luftschlosseule
8 hours ago, meh12 said:

When you call everyone a "human" because it's just easier 😂 Sometimes "human female", sometimes "human male", sometimes just "human person". Because *shrug*.

It's better than calling them "mortal".

When a little kid - I'm guessing he was three or four-  comes up to you while you're working and politely asks if you're a boy.

I desperately wanted to say "I'm not a boy or a girl", or at the very least "yes, I'm a boy" because I lean slightly masculine over feminine but that would have outed me to a whole shop full of parents, their kids and all my pretty conservative co-workers. He made my little Agender heart sing, all the same.

Normally I get to slip in a quick "what do you think I am?" before parents realise what their child asked. I'm doing a one-person effort to get kids questioning gender stereotypes in the time it takes to fit their school shoes xD

nerdperson777
On 1/10/2017 at 2:43 PM, EmotionalAndroid said:

In regards to playing as video game characters of a particular gender: I actually never play as my biological gender unless I am forced to. I figure, if you are given the ability to be someone completely different in this virtual realm that has no effects on the real world, why be what you already are? That's boring.

In all the Pokémon games I played, my character was a boy, except when I played Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team. I was only a girl because I wanted to be a (brave) Charmander. But hey, I wanted to be a Charmander! Who cares what gender my character is?

On 1/13/2017 at 4:44 AM, Luftschlosseule said:

It's better than calling them "mortal".

I mean, I guess if I were a robot, calling them "mortal" would make sense

15 hours ago, meh12 said:

I second this one! I can imagine myself calling humans "Mortals" and feel neutral about it. That would be the perfect agender moment of my life!

15 hours ago, meh12 said:

It gives me more of a Thor/Loki from the Avengers feel tbh

The-world-is-quiet-here

I guess these are more nonbinary moments, but they could be counted as agender moments.

1. When there's a song like Girls Chase Boys or Girls/Girls/Boys and you're like "what about the nonbinaries??"

2. When you're genuinely happy that there's a song that uses gender neutral pronouns (Berry Robertson's cover of the song originally called She ----> They) but then it turns out to be sad. And then you're like "that was going to be my positive representation, dang it."

Mychemicalqpr

Yesterday I was amazed to learn that deodorant is gendered. 

nerdperson777
8 hours ago, twilightstarr said:

Yesterday I was amazed to learn that deodorant is gendered. 

I was at Target the other day in the soap/body wash section.  It was mostly white or light colored containers.  The next aisle, "men's" products.  Everything there is blue or black.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:29 AM, The-world-is-quiet-here said:

I guess these are more nonbinary moments, but they could be counted as agender moments.

1. When there's a song like Girls Chase Boys or Girls/Girls/Boys and you're like "what about the nonbinaries??"

2. When you're genuinely happy that there's a song that uses gender neutral pronouns (Berry Robertson's cover of the song originally called She ----> They) but then it turns out to be sad. And then you're like "that was going to be my positive representation, dang it."

Is it an agender or nonbinary moment when I appreciate and love songs that can sing about love or whatever without mentioning any gender at all? Like the only indication of a person being mentioned is "you" or the singer saying "I/me"

On 1/18/2017 at 8:33 AM, ChillaKilla said:

It gives me more of a Thor/Loki from the Avengers feel tbh

Oh, yeah, being an Asgardian sounds more fun than being a robot, for sure. 

Voltron: Legendary Defender S2 SPOILERS!!!

So, some people headcannon Pidge as non-binary or agender and in this scene, Pidge was contemplating whether to use the boys or the girls bathroom and says "You know what? I'm just going to hold it."

I know that feeling all too well, Pidge. I can relate so much!

Conscientious Ghost

It's pretty satisfying people are baffled what my gender is... until they start invasive questions that is. Then it just sucks

Luftschlosseule

Yesterday I realised that when there's mail in the house entrance that was not put in the mail compartments and is just lying there, I don't stop reading when I read the German equivalent to Mr. ("Herr"), I read until I read the name although I could stop then and there.

Nobody uses Herr to address me. Nobody. Which is good. But it didn't really register with me, I guess.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:08 PM, SkyWorld said:

Hide contents

So, some people headcannon Pidge as non-binary or agender and in this scene, Pidge was contemplating whether to use the boys or the girls bathroom and says "You know what? I'm just going to hold it."

UM, I love this show, and also love Pidge and that everyone headcannons her (in my head she's 'them') as nonbinary. I appreciated the restroom joke (^.^)

On 21/01/2017 at 5:08 AM, SkyWorld said:

Hide contents

I interpreted that as

Spoiler

Pidge not being able to tell what the signs mean (I couldn't either).

• 2 weeks later...
EmotionalAndroid

Every time I see those stupid bumper stickers/signs/etc that say "Real women [...]" I laugh and think "Oh darn, I guess I'm not a real woman then. All my hopes and dreams are dashed. :rolleyes:"

On 1/21/2017 at 0:08 AM, SkyWorld said:

Hide contents

I'm somewhat on that headcanon. :) (Yep- my TV priorities prioritize Dragons over everything else) (I still haven't watched Trollhunters or the rest of s2 Voltron)

TheLastStarCat
On 1/21/2017 at 0:08 AM, SkyWorld said:

Reveal hidden contents

I definitely headcanon Pidge as nonbinary. Because of the bathroom thing and because they never went back to their female birth name or stopped dressing masculinely. I'm not sure that Pidge really knows that they're non binary themself though.

• 4 weeks later...
Dodecahedron314

*is writing a paper and quoting something*

*passive-aggressively bracket-corrects all instances of "his or her" in the original text to "their"*

Being agender, I don't understand gender and that sucks while we're talking about role of women (masculinity/femininity) in books.  We just finished reading a book and one of the men was considered 'less of a man' because he was more submissive in his relationship with his wife.

Why did society create this social construct and enforce it so heavily? 

Why make half of society lower? I don't understand gender

...I'm writing an entire paper about gender...........

Archived