is it normal for an asexual to understand sex jokes?

I make them all the time and am known for my 'dirty mind'. I was also in the classroom when they taught us about sexual education so of course I know the biology behind it. Plus on the internet is it kind of hard not to run into fetishes, toys, and god knows what kind of weird attributes people use for pleasure.

The only thing I lack are stories from experience.

I sometimes don't understand them right away. If I stop and think about it (Which I usually don't because most of the time I don't want to understand the joke) then I can usually get it.

I generally don't make those jokes but there are a few occasions when I have. They're very rare coming from me

Possibility of understanding jokes has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. Sometimes though, it can be hard to have proper insight in it. But being able to observe things and hear from what others say.. Also, asexuals in general do know what sex is, and do know slang from people using it, or they using it themselves.. Also, I think I've heard ace ppl say as many sex jokes as any allo person.. But I think sex repulsed people would rather not say or hear them.. I think that plays a bigger factor.

Yeah I understand (and make) sex jokes all the time. The only times I wouldn't laugh is if it's simply a terrible joke or I don't understand a term used.

Many a time I've made sex jokes that are far dirtier than jokes my non-ace friends have made.

It probably requires more psychoanalysis than I'm prepared to pay for to figure out why, but despite not really desiring sex and identifying as ace I do love a dirty joke or even better a song made out of dirty jokes

Who here is familiar with K^nt & The Gang? Apparently, Nobody Sp*nks Up A C^nt Any More.

I can understand sex jokes, but I've never made any myself. For one thing I don't find them funny and for another thing I don't really see it as my place to be making them. It would be like making jokes about being a college student living in Tokyo, I ain't got a clue.

Although I think it would be more correct to say I can recognize when a sex joke is being made, even if I don't always fully understand the joke itself.

I think it is more connected to understanding the social context than sexuality. You can understand financial jokes without being a banker or soviet union jokes without having lived there actually.

It depends on the person.

Most of the time they go right over my head and someone has to explain the joke, aha. But, that's just me not having a dirty mind to begin with.

Other times I recognize one immediately (especially if I heard it before; a friend of mine likes repeating such jokes).

cosmosredshift7

Yeah! same here! Though I grew up in a sexually open family and didn't even learn that I was ace myself until I was 19 because I knew a lot about sex, but had never thought about doing it myself and assumed that I'd grow to be interested in it???

Yeah, some of my friends were kind surprised to find out I'm asexual because I'm always the one making dirty jokes just because it's funny

same here,

my friends don't know yet, but they would surely be quite surprised :)) at least those who don't know sex also hurts in my case.

Understanding sexual jokes merely means that you have a theoretical knowledge of the subject and sexual double entendres, innuendo, colloquialisms etc.

Enjoying them or being appalled by them is down to the individual as well.

Whatever your take on the subject has nothing to do with asexuality, but is simply a mix of learning, culture, and your psyche

Understanding has more to do with your willingness to understand than your sexual orientation. If you're interested in sexual things, you usually understand the blatantly obvious ones.

You're a teenager. The creators of sex jokes. :P

Nah, good ones require maturity. :P Truly good ones require not being restricted by embarassment, like most teenagers are when it comes to sex.

Sadly, most sex jokes are either immature or lack creativity or don't make any sense (like the taco thing) or any combination of those.

So two gametes walk into a bar. One says they like the other's mitochondria and asks where they got them. They response "My mother."

It's like everyone has said it's about your frame of reference. There are some sexual people out there that don't get sex jokes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told there's "no way I'm asexual" because of the gleeful exuberance with which I use innuendo and make sexual jokes.

But no matter how big my game is, as soon as someone tries to follow through with me I "nope!" on out of there.

SorryNotSorry

I was just wondering because sometimes I do

Yes indeedy. There are asexuals with dirtier minds than most sexuals, though I suspect it's probably due to an "I hope you choke on it" kind of attitude.

I was just wondering because sometimes I do

Yes indeedy. There are asexuals with dirtier minds than most sexuals, though I suspect it's probably due to an "I hope you choke on it" kind of attitude.

Not really. Just because you're asexual doesn't mean you are naturally angry with sexuals.

For me, it's more like "no personal involvement, so no awkwardness" :)

VindicatorPhoenix

Sadly, most sex jokes are either immature or lack creativity or don't make any sense (like the taco thing) or any combination of those.

I can agree with you there! A wonderful example of an uncreative sex joke:

Person 1: Guess what I did last night?

Person 2: What?

Person 1: Your mom!

On the other hand I sometimes find these "uncreative" jokes hilarious since they're so bad that they're good! :lol:

Pandora's Box

I hardly ever understand sex jokes. Or find them funny. Back when I was in 6-7th grade, saying this out loud earned me a rep as a 'kid' and made me feel quite alienated. So I started pretending to enjoy sex jokes like all the rest. Till I realised I don't give a f**k, literally! :P It still bugs some people that I don't have a 'dirty' sense of humor, but then to each their own.

I think understanding sex jokes doesn't have a lot to do with being asexual. It just shows how much you know about sex and dick jokes and the language use when it comes to sex and sexual relationship. You don't actually need to be sexual to understand sex jokes, just like you don't need to be asexual to understand asexual jokes.

It's definitely normal to understand them. I think everyone understands sex jokes because of how prevelant they are. I mean, I've been hearing sex jokes since childhood... we're just exposed to those kind of jokes at a young age, usually, so we all develop a pretty good understanding of them.