Civilisation Players?

DannyFenton123

DannyFenton123

Only the most awesome game ever! My favourite is Civ V; the graphics and the music are awesome, and I love how you have a little army of people rather than just one guy, and the cities can fight you back!

Unfortunately, I'm not great at it; my greatest achievement was winning Warlord (Easy) by dominion with Germany. I usually do go with Germany as the only victory I am good at seems to be wiping everybody off the planet xD

What's your favourite Civ game, and who do you usually play as? Just a fun thread :)

OOOOhhh yes. I used to play Civ 3 back in 2004 when I was just 10 years old. XD oh the memories! I LOVE the old Civ games, II, and III :3 my favorite ones! and amazing, I wanna try Civ V now. :D

I used to play as England, I think.

Also, did you get my note? :c no reply.

I used to play Civ 2 a fair bit years ago, and then eventually made it to playing Civ 4. I tried Civ V, but I wasn't too keen on it, and my comp seemed to struggle with it.

DannyFenton123

OOOOhhh yes. I used to play Civ 3 back in 2004 when I was just 10 years old. XD oh the memories! I LOVE the old Civ games, II, and III :3 my favorite ones! and amazing, I wanna try Civ V now. :D

I used to play as England, I think.

Also, did you get my note? :c no reply.

Haha, I had the original civ, which was really fun when I was young... though I had no understanding of how to do it xD

England's pretty cool with islands I think... lots of water :D

I used to play Civ 2 a fair bit years ago, and then eventually made it to playing Civ 4. I tried Civ V, but I wasn't too keen on it, and my comp seemed to struggle with it.

Aww, that's a shame. I thought my comp would struggle but it's doing pretty well so far :) Who did you usually play as, if you had a favourite?

I started way back in the day with the original Civ (before they had numbers) on my old Tandy computer with not a lot of colors. And I would play way too late into the night! I still play Civ IV from time to time. Usually as the Celts or the English, just because I like them. I have gotten my best scores by playing with "always peace" option so the other civs don't attack me. But even then I don't play at the higher difficulty levels. For me it's not so much about winning, but about exploring the world and building up my own civ. (and occasionally I still do find myself staying up later than I planned to do "just one more turn")

I started with Civilization 3 when I was about twelve (I think?) and since moved on to 4 and more recently 5, which I've played for... *checking*... almost 400 hours. I normally play on Monarch mode, although I sometimes lose, and I have beaten Emperor difficulty before as Venice. I usually play as civilizations that I haven't played as yet, and there are still some that I've never played as even after all this time, especially more war-focused ones. I tend to focus on building wonders and increasing my cities' productivity to win in the end with science and cultural victories the most often. I also still like some of the scenarios in older Civ games, especially Rhye's and Fall of Civilization. One of my favorite tricks in CIv 5 is to build the Internet before discovering Computers (I've built the Internet in the 19th Century before!).

I'm not in a Civilization phase at the moment, though. Right now it's Crusader Kings 2.

DannyFenton123

I started way back in the day with the original Civ (before they had numbers) on my old Tandy computer with not a lot of colors. And I would play way too late into the night! I still play Civ IV from time to time. Usually as the Celts or the English, just because I like them. I have gotten my best scores by playing with "always peace" option so the other civs don't attack me. But even then I don't play at the higher difficulty levels. For me it's not so much about winning, but about exploring the world and building up my own civ. (and occasionally I still do find myself staying up later than I planned to do "just one more turn")

I think the catchphrase of all civ players is 'Just one more turn!' xD Man, I want an always peace mode... I'd do something other than keep dominating other guys all the time O_o

I started with Civilization 3 when I was about twelve (I think?) and since moved on to 4 and more recently 5, which I've played for... *checking*... almost 400 hours. I normally play on Monarch mode, although I sometimes lose, and I have beaten Emperor difficulty before as Venice. I usually play as civilizations that I haven't played as yet, and there are still some that I've never played as even after all this time, especially more war-focused ones. I tend to focus on building wonders and increasing my cities' productivity to win in the end with science and cultural victories the most often. I also still like some of the scenarios in older Civ games, especially Rhye's and Fall of Civilization. One of my favorite tricks in CIv 5 is to build the Internet before discovering Computers (I've built the Internet in the 19th Century before!).

I'm not in a Civilization phase at the moment, though. Right now it's Crusader Kings 2.

Wow, that's awesome! My dad often plays at Monarch (though I think he beat Deity... once) though I still have a hard time trying to beat Easy ones.

I'm not too good on the scientific or cultural victories; I usually go for much more war-oriented gameplay and don't make friends with other nations. When I was younger I remember being waaaay too trusting of the AI's, and I got stabbed in the back a lot so I found the best way to avoid that was to wipe them all out one by one with a huge army xD

But how does the internet work, if there are no computers? O_o

I used to play alot of Civ IV and pre-orderd Civ V (only game I've done it with), and it was fun :D Then ak started to play Victoria 2, and a whole new world opened up xD

I have Civs III, IV & V. Played Civ V the most though. I usually play as Portugal.

It's a vast improvement.

Carrier pigeon? Difference engines? Some sort of fantastical system using Venetian canal nixies? Either way, I'm sure it became vastly more efficient and accessible to the general population when they moved the Internet onto computers a few decades later.

I love Civ! I usually go for a technology/science victory, I like building up better than destroying (fighting). I can do that, though. Nuked Germany out of my game the last time to get the "two men enter, one man leaves"-reward. I hate how aggressive Bismarck (and fucking Caesar) always are. Why can't everyone just be friends and do their things. :P And preferrably not try to befriend the city states close to me.

I grew up playing Civ!

My only problem with Civ V is when I accidentally think something is going to work like it did in the original or Civ II. I also wish culture victory was more of a thing in multiplayer.

I played a whole lot of Civilisation III a while back, and I liked it a lot. I always switched up what I was doing every time, so there wasn't any one thing that I usually did (although I did have a mild obsession with developing the AI Entity for a while). I can't find the discs any more, though, or I'd be tempted to fire it up and see if it would still run on my current computer... I did play some Civilisation II as well, but that was not often, and I don't remember it too well at this point.

Since then I'm mostly moved to the Total War games for my RTS wishes, because I can't pass up being able to play out the battles. I haven't seen much of what the latest Civ games are like, although I remember one of them -- I think it might've been IV? -- went in a way I didn't like with the graphics. I might check out 5 some time, since it sounds like you have more control over the fighting element than you used to, and that's most of why I switched away from it to begin with.

DannyFenton123

I love Civ! I usually go for a technology/science victory, I like building up better than destroying (fighting). I can do that, though. Nuked Germany out of my game the last time to get the "two men enter, one man leaves"-reward. I hate how aggressive Bismarck (and fucking Caesar) always are. Why can't everyone just be friends and do their things. :P And preferrably not try to befriend the city states close to me.

Haha awesome! My solution was pretty much to be Bismarck and make sure that nobody is Caesar, but it's not a great strategy :P

Also, city states suck. You spend a lot of gold, get rid of their barbarians and build the wonders they want to see, but as soon as you attack an AI who has allied another of them, they all turn on you! D:

I played a whole lot of Civilisation III a while back, and I liked it a lot. I always switched up what I was doing every time, so there wasn't any one thing that I usually did (although I did have a mild obsession with developing the AI Entity for a while). I can't find the discs any more, though, or I'd be tempted to fire it up and see if it would still run on my current computer... I did play some Civilisation II as well, but that was not often, and I don't remember it too well at this point.

Since then I'm mostly moved to the Total War games for my RTS wishes, because I can't pass up being able to play out the battles. I haven't seen much of what the latest Civ games are like, although I remember one of them -- I think it might've been IV? -- went in a way I didn't like with the graphics. I might check out 5 some time, since it sounds like you have more control over the fighting element than you used to, and that's most of why I switched away from it to begin with.

There is a lot more control than the other ones in Civ V; it's really different from the earlier ones. Probably one of the big ones is that you don't need to garrison troops in a city to make sure it's not easy prey. Cities take at least three strong troops to take it, as you take damage when you attack and when it's their turn and they can fire on you. The more defences (ie walls, castles) they have, the stronger they are.

Troops can't stack, so each one has to have it's own space. They're actually little armies, which is really awesome (though they still tower over skyscrapers, lol) as it looks more realistic than just one guy. They can upgrade as well, to be better at fighting on hills or flat lands, attacking cities or even healing adjacent units... or if they're damaged when you can promote them then there is an option to restore them back to full health.

I'm going to try to win a cultural victory this time. Ramessess II maybe good as he has 25% more production on building wonders :D

Since then I'm mostly moved to the Total War games for my RTS wishes, because I can't pass up being able to play out the battles.

Rome Total War and Medieval 2 Total War were a huge part of my life for years. I keep going back to them rather than playing newer Total War games (I don't have a computer that works so well with newer graphics). Nothing beats surmounting massive odds in open battle in a Total War game.

There was this one time in the Britannia campaign of Medieval 2 where William Wallace's highlanders ambushed Edward Longshanks and his Templars in the forests outside Nottingham - Sherwood Forest of Robin Hood lore - and Wallace wound up killing King Edward personally in the melee. And another time that Mad King John defended Brussels from the backstabbing Holy Roman Empire's massive professional armies of veteran landsknechts with nothing but a local peasant militia garrison and an inspirational speech: "They may have the moon people on their side, but we have lovely hats, and those hats will protect us from their fearsome gaze!" And one time that I led my conquering veteran Moorish elite in splendid array commanded by the prince and heir, an eight-star general, into the New World, so proud of my ahistorical achievements, only to be ambushed and slaughtered to a man by the Aztecs because I wasn't taking them seriously and thought stone weapons wouldn't mean a thing to my camel gunners and tuaregs. The Aztecs are fierce!

I'm going to try to win a cultural victory this time. Ramessess II maybe good as he has 25% more production on building wonders :D

Ramses + Monument to the Gods + nearby source of Marble = laughing all the way to the bank.

DannyFenton123

Ramses + Monument to the Gods + nearby source of Marble = laughing all the way to the bank.

Haha indeed. I did win Warlord just before the Modern Era, which was awesome. 7 other civs, 18 city states and raging barbarians xD

Anthracite_Impreza

I've been playing civ 4 since I was about 8 and I still do to this day! It's so addictive :D

Kappamaki, are you me? xD

DannyFenton123

I've been playing civ 4 since I was about 8 and I still do to this day! It's so addictive :D

Haha, nice! What difficulty fo you usually play on? :D

Anthracite_Impreza

Settler, I play for fun, not for a challenge :P Tbf I play all my racing games on hard ;)

DannyFenton123

Settler, I play for fun, not for a challenge :P Tbf I play all my racing games on hard ;)

Haha, I do that too though I try to be competitive every now and then. Most of the time I just enjoy the feeling of winning at Civ xD

I last played Civ 4 (with the awesome, though sadly memory-hugging and crash-affine, mod "Cavemen To Cosmos") only two hours ago... currently having my Australians waging war on Alaric's Goths... in 1570 AD... with tanks and jeeps. ^_^

In fact, I love that game so much that it's a main reason for me not to upgrade to Windows 10 in the foreseeable future (I've heard that Civ 4 is one of the few games that are, at least as of now, completely incompatible with Win10 :( ).

Civ 4 wouldn't be out for quite some time when I was eight - or Civ 3, even. At my age eight, the champion of games was Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. I'm pretty sure I majored in medieval studies in college because of that game (plus Stronghold, Medieval Total War, and a certain oddly-directed rebelliousness that led me to champion the middle ages over the classical and modern eras in defiance of my high school and their outdated Eurocentric, Enlightenment-style historical thinking).

I last played Civ 4 (with the awesome, though sadly memory-hugging and crash-affine, mod "Cavemen To Cosmos") only two hours ago... currently having my Australians waging war on Alaric's Goths... in 1570 AD... with tanks and jeeps. ^_^

In fact, I love that game so much that it's a main reason for me not to upgrade to Windows 10 in the foreseeable future (I've heard that Civ 4 is one of the few games that are, at least as of now, completely incompatible with Win10 :( ).

Good to know - that's a good reason not to upgrade to Windows 10 for me. :(

I started with the first Civ when color monitors were a luxury and played way too much of that. The game manuals were actually useful back then and Civ had a thick book. I skipped Civ 2 almost entirely, but watched my brother play it a lot. Civ 3 was the first civilization that got me into the multiplayer, but I didn't play the single player that much. I still play Civ 4: beyond the sword and Civ 5 occasionally with my brother.

"Just one more turn.."

What you say about Windows 10 makes me worried. I play quite a few "old" games, such as The Longest Journey (one of my all-time favourites) and Myst. Should I assume they won't work with WIndows 10, even if I play them through Steam?

What you say about Windows 10 makes me worried. I play quite a few "old" games, such as The Longest Journey (one of my all-time favourites) and Myst. Should I assume they won't work with WIndows 10, even if I play them through Steam?

Obviously. the older the game, the harder it is to answer this. In the list I've seen, almost all games that run on Win7/8 still do so on Win10, but it was just a list of 20-ish pretty well known titles. It was just my luck that one of the two exceptions (the other was the by now pretty thoroughly outdated GTA2) that will not run at all on Win10 happens to be a game I love, and still play for a couple of weeks at a time several times a year.

Now I feel like playing Civ. V (CiV?) for the rest of the evening.

Has anyone here played Beyond Earth? I've seen a few LPs on YouTube, and to be honest I think I'd rather stay with Civ. V.

Now I feel like playing Civ. V (CiV?) for the rest of the evening.

Has anyone here played Beyond Earth? I've seen a few LPs on YouTube, and to be honest I think I'd rather stay with Civ. V.

I picked it up. It's all right - has a few interesting ideas with the satellite layer and the "quest" system, but Civ V is more refined, especially with the expansions.

It kind of struck me as similar to Endless Legend in a lot of ways, but with less complexity in the quests, civs, and units. It's like a weird middle road between the two, and I'm not sure when I'd want to play it again - I feel like I'd either want the refinement and relatively clean play of Civ V or the ridiculously indulgent dynamics of Endless Legend.

Knight of Cydonia

Civ V is great! I like Science victories a lot, so Babylon would probably be my favourite civ.

Archived