Aromantic but still sexual?

timeofgoats

I've sifted through some of the threads discussing aromantics and it seems like the majority of aromantics are also asexual or something like it(I'm still learning all of the different types). I can say with 75% confidence that I am aromantic, but I also love cuddling and holding hands. I haven't kissed anyone but I enjoy the idea of more sexual relationships. Is there a different orientation for this? And does anyone else feel this way too?

You don't have to be ace to be aro! :) Although it seems to be more common (for some reason?) for aros to be ace as well, I've definitely heard of people being aromantic and sexual. So you're not alone! The two are completely separate orientations :)

Sleepy Skeleton

Aromanticism is much lesser known than asexuality, so I think that's why there doesn't seem to be a lot of aro sexuals. Most of us learn the term after being exposed to asexuality, right?

Anyway, the others are correct. There is no reason why aromantic sexuals can't exist. And they do, I've seen them on this site and others.

It's because this board has mostly asexuals on it. So you are more likely to see any type of asexual here than out in the general population.

I think that most aromantic sexual persons simply confuse sexual and romantic attractions, and therefore don't know that they're aromantic. It's a problem that aromanticism isn't well known outside of the asexual community. I'm pretty sure that being aromantic and sexual is relatively common. At least from the number of people I know IRL who obviously behave and think like aromantic sexual people, I really don't think that it's rare.

From how I see it on other forums for aromantics, its very mixed of asexual, gray-ace and sexual people So I belive there are pretty many sexual aromantics but they are just pretty invisible.

There is a larger number asexuals, probably because aromantism or lack of romantic attraction, is rarely mentioned anywhere outside the asexual comunity so many dont know it exist or its just not talked about.

I knew about asexuality since I was around 17, and I knew about romantic attractions. but since I only heard of aromantism in asexuals conversations I did not belive one could be aromantic and asexual before I was 21. This is a huge problem and I still experience some people who are to educate people making the mistake of only including aromantism under asexuality like they where the same.

I see no reason why a sexual person cannot be aromantic. I see my asexuality and my aromanticism as being unrelated.

*raises hand* aromantic sexual here, you're most definitely not alone. Love the nookie, but when it comes to romantic relationships I'm like Marge SImpson in that episode where she discovers her fear of flying:

I can say with 75% confidence that I am aromantic, but I also love cuddling and holding hands.

Ehwut? Pardon me, but doesn't this contradict the concept of aromanticism?

You can definitely be aromantic and sexual. I'm aro, but not explicity ace...I'm more on the gray spectrum.

I can say with 75% confidence that I am aromantic, but I also love cuddling and holding hands.

Ehwut? Pardon me, but doesn't this contradict the concept of aromanticism?

You can definitely be aromantic and sexual. I'm aro, but not explicity ace...I'm more on the gray spectrum.

Far be it from me to dictate another's romantic orientation but I have to admit, the same thought occurred to me. I couldn't imagine wanting to hold anyone's hand (unless it's my elderly mother's, and I'm helping her cross the road). Perhaps the OP is grey-romantic?

Having said that, I did 'crush' on celebrities when I was growing up, or thought I did (especially Adam Ant!) so I can't really judge, but looking back now it was very likely aesthetic attraction. He was just so damned cute. ;)

If you subscribe to the attraction model, aromantics can still desire romance just as much as asexuals can still desire sex.

Archived