Any Native Russian/Fluent Speakers that can help? Nicknames

7Dragons

So I'm currently studying Russian ( I really don't know that much, I'm hoping to find an actual teacher soon, and I'm applying for a study abroad program).

So I have this very good friend. He is a male friend, and also asexual, but we are not in a relationship. He is truly like the brother I never had, very strong and protective, although he is fully aware I am more than strong enough to fight for myself. He is one of two true friends I have, and in all honesty I love him. One of the main reasons I love the Russian culture is the strong emotions, restricting themselves to showing them to people they really care about. (Please correct me if I am wrong about this, I know only what I've read, and I love Russian anyway for mostly explainable reasons.)

I would like to give him a nickname, but I am not sure how to go about it. I've seen several for sweethearts but that's not how we are... Can anyone explain to me how Russian nicknames work, and what the endings mean ( I've seen -ka a lot, what does that mean? Or is it just an expression of affection?). Also, I have several dictionaries, and there are several words for friend, which would be the correct word, and how would I say something like "My dear friend"?

My other true friend is female, and I would like to make a nickname for her too, so are there different endings for girl nicknames?

With middle names at least, the ending typically denotes "son of (FATHER'S NAME)" or "daughter of (MOTHER'S NAME)".

Autumn Season

Usually we use the original name in the child form + cute ending when talking to dear friends.

Example: Alexander. Child/ friend version: Sasha. Cute ending (does not apply to every name): enka. => Nickname: Sashenka.

Another example: Maximillian. Friend version: Max. With cute ending: Maxenka.

So it really depends on the names of your friends.

But if you don't want to use their names, you can say (moi) daragoi/ (maia) daragaia = (my) dear (male/ female version). Just be aware that those words can be used when talking to your lover, too.

Oh, right. Be careful with the "ka"-ending. It is often used as an insult.

Sashenka: good.

Sashka: bad. The "I'm mad" or "picking a fight" kind of bad.

My ukrainian girlfriend is so just like that! Didn't show any emotions but after meeting me .. her heart kinda melted and yes... she used to DESPISE/HATE showing emotions heh.

But anyway, I, myself am not good enough with nicknames but I could ask her. :3

scarletlatitude

Part of my ancestry is eastern European (it was the Soviet Union at the time) and honestly I have learned so much about my dating life from this thread. I am exactly like this. Maybe I need to find some eastern European aces...

Also I am going to borrow some of these words for my novel, if that's okay. I needed a nickname word in another language.

I know I know... off topic.... *sneaks out*

Usually we use the original name in the child form + cute ending when talking to dear friends.

Example: Alexander. Child/ friend version: Sasha. Cute ending (does not apply to every name): enka. => Nickname: Sashenka.

But if you don't want to use their names, you can say (moi) daragoi/ (maia) daragaia = (my) dear (male/ female version). Just be aware that those words can be used when talking to your lover, too.

Oh this explain all the different names for Lenin, was confusing when I read the biography about him :lol:

Autumn Season

Oh this explain all the different names for Lenin, was confusing when I read the biography about him :lol:

The authors use the cute version of Lenins name in the book? xD I wanna see that.

Archived