.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

chair jockey   
chair jockey

Is there a way to filter Unread Content? It's bad for my health to keep seeing some of the shit I see when I use that function.

Puck   
Puck
2 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

Is there a way to filter Unread Content? It's bad for my health to keep seeing some of the shit I see when I use that function.

I'm don't believe their is, but upon request we can block hotbox if that helps. That is where most the controversial content lies for most people, it seems

chair jockey   
chair jockey
Just now, Puck said:

I'm don't believe their is, but upon request we can block hotbox if that helps. That is where most the controversial content lies for most people, it seems

Does the request have to be confidential? If not, I am hereby making the request.

sea-lemon   
sea-lemon
15 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

You can, if you make a custom activity stream. In the options you can choose which forums you want to see:

Screenshot_20170912-171820.png

Puck   
Puck
13 minutes ago, sea-lemon said:

You can, if you make a custom activity stream. In the options you can choose which forums you want to see:

Screenshot_20170912-171820.png

I had no idea, thanks sea!!!

sea-lemon   
sea-lemon
3 minutes ago, Puck said:

I had no idea, thanks sea!!!

No problem ^_^

Pramana   
Pramana

I noticed that AVEN seemed quieter over the summer, and continues to seem quieter now, compared to how it seemed last winter. Given that many AVEN members are high school or college students, I was wondering if AVEN regularly experiences reduced activity through the summer and at the beginning and end of the academic semesters, with mid-semester procrastination peaks in activity? And on a related note, I was wondering if a lot of people ask for temp bans during exams?

Puck   
Puck
8 minutes ago, Pramana said:

I noticed that AVEN seemed quieter over the summer, and continues to seem quieter now, compared to how it seemed last winter. Given that many AVEN members are high school or college students, I was wondering if AVEN regularly experiences reduced activity through the summer and at the beginning and end of the academic semesters, with mid-semester procrastination peaks in activity? And on a related note, I was wondering if a lot of people ask for temp bans during exams?

Can't say I've really studied it so I couldn't quote you exact numbers and could be wrong, but it's true that AVEN sees effects of the academic year as many of our users are in school.

Unless they asked other admins privately and those admins didn't record it (which would be a surprise as we are deligent in record keeping), no, I don't believe we get many requests for temp bans during exams. I'm sure it's happened, but not frequently.

chair jockey   
chair jockey

Is there a reason I can't change my photo? The file is a .jpg and 72K in size.

.Lia   
.Lia
Just now, chair jockey said:

Pictures in any form get weird in the EST evening hours, I've found. I usually post photos during the day and am okay.

thejm   
thejm
Just now, chair jockey said:

Not an Admin/Mod or anything, but this happened to me a few days ago. I tried changing my profile picture multiple ways, and it didn't work. The next day, I tried it again and it worked fine, so maybe wait awhile before retrying?

chair jockey   
chair jockey
1 minute ago, .Lia said:

Pictures in any form get weird in the EST evening hours, I've found. I usually post photos during the day and am okay.

1 minute ago, thejm said:

Not an Admin/Mod or anything, but this happened to me a few days ago. I tried changing my profile picture multiple ways, and it didn't work. The next day, I tried it again and it worked fine, so maybe wait awhile before retrying?

Thanks, I'll try tomorrow.

kelico   
kelico
15 minutes ago, thejm said:

17 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

Yeah, it's been a glitch for a while now. :/ Before and after the most recent update to the site. After a certain time it seems to stop working. : ( Really frustrating.

skıt   
skıt
3 hours ago, Pramana said:

I noticed that AVEN seemed quieter over the summer, and continues to seem quieter now, compared to how it seemed last winter. 

I bet the new chat and how much less it is used has a lot to do with it

Pramana   
Pramana
56 minutes ago, skıt said:

I bet the new chat and how much less it is used has a lot to do with it

Any idea why the new chat service is less popular than the old one?

Snao Çoñé   
Snao Çoñé
5 minutes ago, Pramana said:

Any idea why the new chat service is less popular than the old one?

It's not as integrated as the previous one, since it's not part of the forum software. It's also less reliable, as I've had to refresh constantly to get new messages. Those are my reasons for using it less, at least.

Achromatic Kitty   
Achromatic Kitty

Trick Question (Answer If You Want To):

What are your honest opinions of me? No sugar-coating it. I like to know since, well... Having to ask you individually takes A LOT of time to compile together LOL....

Real Question:

What is your thought process when you make a thread or do your daily Modding? I like to know since, well... One day I want to join your ranks to better AVEN together... And to learn new things.  After I'm eligible of course...

arekathevampyre   
arekathevampyre

3 questions . 

1) How is your account page different from non mods ? 

(I always thought that you guys may have some super cool features like a "hacker" on your page) 

2) what happens when the post in someone's pm get reported ? 

3) how does warning points work (will others see if you received warning points) ? - I think I asked this before but just wanna ask again . 

Skycaptain   
Skycaptain

@arekathevampyre,

First question, staff home  pages is broadly the same as for members, but with a specific extra forum for performing staff tasks. 

Second question. If a PM is reported it gets treated exactly as if it was a general post. It's investigated, and if a ToS breach is found appropriate disciplinary action taken. 

Third question. Point one. The only people who can see an individual member's warning history is that member and current staff members. When someone ceases to be a staff member they lose this access. 

Warning points work this way. A first warning lasts for three months, a second warning within that time lasts for six months and includes a two week site suspension. A third warning within that time will result in a site ban. When a warning expires the count goes back to zero. When you have an active warning you can't stand for election to staff positions. Warnings incurred in T&S or gender forums incur an exclusion from that particular forum 

arekathevampyre   
arekathevampyre

@Skycaptain awesome !! Thanks for your quick and clear reply :)

TheAP   
TheAP

@Achromatic Kitty I don't always agree with you, but I think you're funny and I like your creative way of posting. As for your second question, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Achromatic Kitty   
Achromatic Kitty

Rephrasing of my 2nd Q:

How do you do your daily Modding duties? What motivates you to do this repeative cycle? Explain...

TheAP   
TheAP
1 minute ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

Rephrasing of my 2nd Q:

How do you do your daily Modding duties? What motivates you to do this repeative cycle? Explain...

Once a day, or more, I look through the forums I mod, check the unread posts, and move any threads that need moving. Then I check the unread posts in the admods forum. It can get tiring sometimes, but lately I haven't been minding it. Partly because I'm bored a lot, so it gives me something to do. :P And the threads can be interesting.

Achromatic Kitty   
Achromatic Kitty

My two questions are for every mod that wants to answer it FYI....

Randomchaos   
Randomchaos
12 hours ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

Trick Question (Answer If You Want To):

What are your honest opinions of me? No sugar-coating it. I like to know since, well... Having to ask you individually takes A LOT of time to compile together LOL....

Real Question:

What is your thought process when you make a thread or do your daily Modding? I like to know since, well... One day I want to join your ranks to better AVEN together... And to learn new things.  After I'm eligible of course...

I don't really know you so I have no real opinions? :cake:

Hmm I guess my thought process is typically what it is when I'm talking to people in RL? It depends on what type of thread I'm making. If I'm making a report I think about  if it breaks the ToS or not and if it does I try to put in writing how exactly I think it does so.  I also look at if they've been told not to do the thing before and I try to pay attention to the actual situation :P 

There are times when I think (in regular threads) that I probably shouldn't post something? If that happens I just don't post it lol.

Basically my rule for myself is A: if it breaks the ToS I'm not going to post it (and if I'm not sure I'm not going to post it (if this happens sometimes I ask TT or another mod their opinion on it)), and B: if I can't say it to someone IRL then I'm not going to post it online.

When doing regular modding I try to carefully read all the new posts in the forum and check to see if I should bring something up to the other Admods. Then I check to see if there are reports :P if there are I do the above, if there aren't I check admods :x

I basically come on AVEN to relax (I know this is unusual, especially for someone who mods HoBo :P ) But tbh I find it really relaxing since to me, it doesn't really carry as much weight as what I do IRL :ph34r: , I mean sometimes if things get super stressful IRL then I have to say "Hey guys I kinda need a short 12 hour break from AVEN to deal with life :X ")  and since HoBo is co-modded I usually get the 12 hours I need   :P (That doesn't happen too often (sorry to anyone who was hoping to get rid of me LOL))

Typically if I don't have to do any "real" modding I'm half here half not :lol: like when writing this I'm distracted by music, people and I am kinda people watching while waiting for my next class :lol: (I'm really bad about multi-tasking :P I used to get on chat while doing hw, listening to music, and eating xD 

(And I typically have issues staying on topic (in case you haven't already noticed) :D

Achromatic Kitty   
Achromatic Kitty

I can see, Randomchaos... I can tell LOL. ;)

Also... *Adds Randomchaos to prank list* JUST in case... Ke he he he he....

scarletlatitude   
scarletlatitude
On 9/14/2017 at 2:49 PM, Achromatic Kitty said:

Rephrasing of my 2nd Q:

Log on, check my pms, check for reports, read the admod forum, look at my forums, browse the rest of AVEN 

I just really like being here. It's a sickness I tell you. :P 

And for your first question, I don't really know you yet. :) But you do have a pretty awesome profile picture! ;) How did you get the tie on the cat? 

Achromatic Kitty   
Achromatic Kitty
7 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

Log on, check my pms, check for reports, read the admod forum, look at my forums, browse the rest of AVEN 

I just really like being here. It's a sickness I tell you. :P 

And for your first question, I don't really know you yet. :) But you do have a pretty awesome profile picture! ;) How did you get the tie on the cat? 

That's my secret.... Because I'm the cat LOL. ;)

NerotheReaper   
NerotheReaper

Locking this thread temporarily until it can be reviewed

Skycaptain   
Skycaptain

Unlocking this thread now the issues have been resolved