Gray statistics

That asexual guy

That asexual guy

I don't know if anyone else has an interest in statistics, but most studies that have included asexuality only the binary has been explored (specifically, only asexual people who report no sexual attraction to any gender) and doesn't take into account the spectrum. I just finished reading a paper that is the only one I've seen that includes graysexuals in statistics.

Not surprisingly, graysexual people had more in common with asexual people than sexual people in most respects, including over 60 percent of both asexuals and graysexuals reported they are not having sex these days..

But there were some differences:

Of those who were having sex, more asexuals reported always enjoying it compared to graysexuals.

Graysexuals were more likely to be currently single than asexuals.

Graysexuals were more likely to be previously married and now single. The theory being since graysexuals experience sexual attraction at some point and in some form, they are more likely to have been in a relationship and then discover afterward their disinterest in sexual activity.

Graysexuals were also found to have had a higher frequency of sexual activity in their lifetime, again attributed to the fact that they have experienced sexual attraction in some form and were more likely to engage in sex with a partner before discovering their disinterest later.

The paper, Asexuality as a Spectrum: A National Probability Sample Comparison to the Sexual Community in the UK,

is here:

http://academiccommons.columbia.edu/catalog?f[author_facet][]=McClave,%20Caroline%20H.

scarletlatitude

Moved from The Gray Area to World Watch.

scarletlatitude,

The Gray Area mod

Archived