Gettin' old...

Qutenkuddly

Yesterday, I helped my father move a large TV out of the basement and to the road for pickup by the periodic large item removal service (it was no longer functional, nor feasibly repairable). My father, up until a few months ago, was a robust individual: strong, hard working. He could easily work as hard as men half his age. He would often tease me if I ever showed signs of getting winded or tired while helping with any hard work. It was often quite a task just keeping up to him. Of course, over the last few years, he's been slowing down, more prone to taking a break and finishing off the day around dinner time. He's in his late sixties, that's to be expected. A few months ago, though, he had some substantial chest pains and went in to the emergency ward to have them checked. They ran some tests and immediately hospitalized. The end result was that one of his arteries had narrowed substantially and, a little under a week later, they put in a stint. Luckily, they caught the situation before any serious damage was done and the stint wasn't required in anyplace really dire; it was sort of a best case scenario for a bad situation. His doctor even told him he pretty much had a brand new heart. Cool. He took it easy for a couple of months, as to be expected, and I didn't give it much more thought until yesterday.

Moving the TV up the stairs was a two man job, due to it's size and the narrowness of the stairs. It was heavy, sure, but we've carried far heavier up and down those stairs. That's why it came as a shock to me when he seemed a bit winded and wanted a rest at the top of the stairs. We only got partway through the garage before he needed another one. I suppose this could've been the perfect opportunity to return some of the teasing he's given me through the years, but I was just really unnerved by the whole thing. While he was catching his breath the second time, I picked up the TV by myself and carried it the rest of the way to the roadside (accompanied by admonishments from my parents to watch my back, as I'm no spring chicken and prone to back injury). It still really bothers me seeing how much of his fortitude he has lost, in such a seemingly short period.

Of course, my own age caught up to me earlier this morning. My knee was bugging a little bit while lugging the TV out to the road (I had strained the knee climbing hills on a bike several weeks ago), but I didn't think much of it until shortly past 5 in the morning when I awoke with a tremendous ache in the joint. I took a naproxen tablet and hoped that would dull the pain, but I wound up having to ice it before I could get back to sleep again. It was reasonably okay when I woke, but still sensitive enough that I generally avoided stairs for most of the day. Meh. Growing old sucks.

Growing old sucks.

As the cliche says, "it's better than the alternative."

Growing old sucks.

Growing young? :p

Growing old sucks.

Growing young? :P

At least looking back at my experience, that alternative might be even worse.

The really bad news is that women start growing mustaches and men get moobs :D

Growing old sucks.

No one knows that for certain. :unsure:

The really bad news is that women start growing mustaches and men get moobs :D

I can still flex my moobs, at least... :p

No mustache yet.

Qute, your dad might have other heart problems if he's again exhausted by physical exertion -- maybe he should be checked again.

Qutencuddly, I agree with Sally, that should be checked

Growing old, hair stops growing on the top of your head, and starts coming out of your nose instead

No mustache yet.

Qute, your dad might have other heart problems if he's again exhausted by physical exertion -- maybe he should be checked again.

They ran the whole gamut of tests when that happened. There shouldn't be any surprises in regards to his heart yet. Also, it was a fairly hefty TV; I just happen to be quite strong.

Blue Phoenix Ace

Q my father is dealing with prostate cancer now. He has gotten pretty feeble in the last year or so, walking with a cane. So I can empathize with what you're saying. Just be sure not to grow old poor so you can afford all the hospital bills.

No mustache yet.

They ran the whole gamut of tests when that happened. There shouldn't be any surprises in regards to his heart yet. Also, it was a fairly hefty TV; I just happen to be quite strong.

OK, good. If it was one of those huge CRT TVs, they're incredibly heavy; you must indeed be strong.

I'd say it was in the same range of weight as about 3 or 4 sheets of plywood: manageable by one hefty bloke over level ground, but not so much going up steep stairs. Yes, I'm quite strong. In my youth, I used to do stupid things like lifting the rear ends of automobiles to show off... hence the back issues I now occasionally suffer from.

brotherlouie

I can relate to the surprise and trepidation about watching family members aging. For me it's quite a sad topic. My mum, who raised me herself, is about the same age as your dad and is also showing signs of slowing down a lot more and physically changing. I have fear about this and a sense of sadness and guilt as I am the only child and it looks increasingly like I won't be having a family of my own, which is sad for the both of us. She tells me genuinely it doesn't matter but I find it hard not to believe that it would have made things happier and more fulfilled for her.

Is it too late to put a limit on how much mortality we're gonna contemplate in this thread?

Is it too late to put a limit on how much mortality we're gonna contemplate in this thread?

Nope -- limit away!

Nope -- limit away!

Okay, time to abuse my power as mod. To return this thread to a whinge-fest about contemplation of getting older, I've split off the posts about lingering death to this thread, as many wish to continue discussing it.

Qutenkuddly,

Older Asexuals Moderator

Sorry Qutenkluddly, it just happened to be timely for me.

After much consideration on the topic of getting older, I've decided not to. :)

Off-topic:

Is the British "whinge" basically the same thing as the American "whine"? And is it pronounced "whinj"?

Sorry Qutenkluddly, it just happened to be timely for me.

No worries!

Off-topic:

Is the British "whinge" basically the same thing as the American "whine"? And is it pronounced "whinj"?

Yes on both counts.

Meanwhile, it really sucks not being able to get by on 6 hours sleep like I used to. I'm creeping up on needing 8 hours these days. Meh.

Blue Phoenix Ace

Meanwhile, it really sucks not being able to get by on 6 hours sleep like I used to. I'm creeping up on needing 8 hours these days. Meh.

Oh man, I know what you mean there. If I don't get 8 hours of sleep then my whole day is just ruined. I have a lot more trouble getting quality sleep too with all the aches and pains whereas before I could sleep outside in a thunderstorm. Also, I recall as a teenager that I could eat an entire large pepperoni from Papa John's. If I did that today it would probably stop my heart!

Yeah, I can't pack it away like I used to as a teenager. That's probably a good thing.

I certainly eat a lot less, and more healthily

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, yeah. I'm pushing 50 now. i used to be able to walk 20 miles in a day. No more. I have back and neck problems. The rest of me is doing OK though. To compensate, you generally gain wisdom as you get older.

Jack Palance was right- gettin old ain't for sissies.

Archived