Am I asexual?

i've identified as repulsed asexual for a few years now, but recently, i've been feeling unsure about it. sometimes, i catch myself thinking that i'd like to have sex with some people, but i don't know if i'd ever act on it, or if i'm being serious, or if i'm just confusing sensual attraction with sexual attraction. whenever i think of having sex with someone, i get extremely repulsed. i'm not sure if i'm repulsed allosexual or actually asexual? i'm a lot more comfortable with being asexual, likely due to my repulsion, but i'm not sure if i'm "qualified" to be asexual?

scarletlatitude

Moving from The Gray Area to Q&A. Welcome to AVEN!

scarletlatitude

The Gray Area mod

If you feel most comfortable identifying as asexual, then that's all the 'qualification' you need.

To reassure you though, I experience the same thing based on aesthetic attraction to people. I am not sex repulsed, but I sometimes think that maybe I'd like to have sex with a person I'm aesthetically attracted to but I know if that situation was a reality I wouldn't actually want to. I'm still confident I'm asexual.

i've identified as repulsed asexual for a few years now, but recently, i've been feeling unsure about it. sometimes, i catch myself thinking that i'd like to have sex with some people, but i don't know if i'd ever act on it, or if i'm being serious, or if i'm just confusing sensual attraction with sexual attraction. whenever i think of having sex with someone, i get extremely repulsed. i'm not sure if i'm repulsed allosexual or actually asexual? i'm a lot more comfortable with being asexual, likely due to my repulsion, but i'm not sure if i'm "qualified" to be asexual?

Might I ask a question or two?

When you say,

"I catch myself thinking that i'd like to have sex with some people"

do you mean people in general or do you have someone specific in mind. It is my understanding that asexual can have a desire to be sexual but lack a direction. The unofficial label for this is cupiosexuality. This does not make you any less of an asexual.

If it is toward someone in particular, It is also possible that you could be a sex-repulsed gray-sexual. This would still put you on the asexual spectrum.

Sensual attraction is an attraction to want to do "sensual things" like hugging/cuddling but not necessarily having intercourse.

Ultimately what you are is up to you, and if identifying as an asexual then you should keeping doing so. It is YOUR identity and you can do whatever you want with it. :)

Might I ask a question or two?

When you say, "i catch myself thinking that i'd like to have sex with some people" do you mean people in general or do you have someone specific in mind. It is my understanding that asexual can have a desire to be sexual but lack a direction. The unofficial label for this is cupiosexuality. This does not make you any less of an asexual.

If it is toward someone in particular, It is also possible that you could be a sex-repulsed gray-sexual. This would still put you on the asexual spectrum.

Sensual attraction is an attraction to want to do "sensual things" like hugging/cuddling but not necessarily having intercourse.

Ultimately what you are is up to you, and if identifying as an asexual then you should keeping doing so. It is YOUR identity and you can do whatever you want with it. :)

i have specific people in mind when i think that? but at the same time i'm unsure if i actually mean it, or if it's just a passing thought? i kind of just think about it, but i (very likely) won't go through with it. ahh yeah, i know what sensual attraction is by definition, but i have a very hard time trying to differentiate sexual from sensual attraction when i actually feel attracted to someone more than aesthetically.

I completely get what you mean by having a hard time differentiating sexual from sensual. Definitions make things sound simple in theory but don't help much in reality. It is not like our attractions walk up to us and slap us upside the face and say "I am sensual attraction you nincompoop!!!" Life would be so much easier if that were the case.

In my opinion, If you have no desire to act upon it, I personally wouldn't consider that allosexuality. However, I feel that you should identify however makes you feel comfortable.

Wish I could be more help. Anyway, welcome to AVEN have some cake:

6933079785_d5f852e1d0_b_zpsxm2ffpkr.jpg

It depends if these thoughts are you being sex curious or actual desires. Sexual attraction: the impulse/urge/compulsion to have sex with someone specific; to do genital involving things to their body. Sensual attraction: an urge to have non-genital physical contact. You can feel both at once and maybe that's why you can't tell the difference. Cupiosexual means finding no one sexually enticing but desiring to have sex. A sex repulsed sexual would be a type of Gray-A.