Does asexuality affect your interpretation of attractiveness?

I don't think so. I think it's more personal preference. What one find attractive won't do for someone else. My cousin got upset with me because she showed me a picture of one of the guys from One Direction, can't remember who, she was going one about how hot and cute he was, told her I've seen better looking guys. She lit into me saying I said that cause I wanted to be contrary and I really do think he's hot. I didn't bother to tell her that nothing about the guy registered, not even his name.

dandelionfluff

I don't think so. I think it's more personal preference. What one find attractive won't do for someone else. My cousin got upset with me because she showed me a picture of one of the guys from One Direction, can't remember who, she was going one about how hot and cute he was, told her I've seen better looking guys. She lit into me saying I said that cause I wanted to be contrary and I really do think he's hot. I didn't bother to tell her that nothing about the guy registered, not even his name.

The only remotely good looking one in One Direction to me is Zayn. The rest look like loaves of bread to me.

Mmm I don't really know. There have been people I found aesthetically pleasing, but I never wanted to be romantic or sexual with them. I think for me it's personality that I find attractive. Like how I find my boyfriend's personality attractive. Shy and cute, kind of feminine. I also like "princely" types but I think that's raising the bar too high. :lol:

All in all I don't think my asexuality has anything to do with it. I feel that if I wasn't asexual, I'd still be attracted to that stuff. But who knows? :P

nerdperson777

I can't say for sure, but I think it's possible. I often say that I have grey-aesthetic attraction. I've looked at some pictures and had a different reaction to it which I assume that I thought that the person was aesthetically appealing. Once I found a portrait of a triple A friend before they cut their hair. I thought they looked good with long hair. (Don't tell them that.) But I don't recall seeing anything else and getting the same reaction. Since I find no one romantically or sexually attractive, and only one person aesthetically attractive, I can't really say. And being demisensual means I'm asensual (even anti) most of the time so that doesn't help either. Is it safe to say that I never really had a sense of attractiveness?

mustardblood

I find some people attractive but only in the way of like "oh they are pretty" or "oh that persons outfit looks good".

But while "sexy" people still look good for many, for me their picture seems so "weird" that I don't even like looking at them. (I keep thinking: Why are you wearing this? Why are you in this position/ moving like this? Why are you looking at me like this? WTF is wrong with you?)

Same. I never get those kind of sexy poses. I find women most attractive when they look strong and independent and are just doing normal stuff. But I'm sexual. :(

What I find attractive is people's eyes. Eyes and smiles are the key. I also think it is very attractive when people have nice hair (like a nice hair style and it looks that they take care of their hair). I don't know. I would say a person becomes more attractive the more I know them. The more I know them, the more I want to be around them.

This. Except maybe the last part :D

Mundane Mesh

I do experience aesthetic attraction. Does my sexuality influence who I find attractive? I don't think so, although I cannot know for certain because I've only experienced my own sexuality.

I don't know if my idea of attractiveness is somehow affected by my asexuality.

But I sometimes wonder why the heck is it so hard for me to find a man attractive. Most of the time, I don't even pay attention to their physical appearance (unless they're really tall, like over 5'11"). I could spend a really long time listing all the women (famous or not) I find attractive and/or sexy, and I could explain in details what I like in each one of them, but when it comes to men, it's a completely different situation. IMO, men are not sexy at all, and I would consider very few of them (maybe 10 famous men, tops) to be kind of cute/attractive. It even made me question whether I'm hetero.

For instance, about two weeks ago, I saw a stunning girl who looked a bit unusual (great skin, big blue eyes, light blonde hair, delicate features), and I could barely keep my eyes off her. She was so pretty that I was even thinking about introducing myself, just to try to get to know her better (thank goodness I'm too shy to do something like that :D). She really caught my attention. However, men are not very appealing to me (and that's an euphemism), which is weird, because I'm heteroromantic. At least as far as I know... I mean, wasn't it supposed to be the other way around? :huh:

Anyway, I don't know if that has anything to do with my asexuality (probably not, but who knows?), but it was the closest thing I could think of.

Art of Matt Eldritch

I don't know if my idea of attractiveness is somehow affected by my asexuality.

But I sometimes wonder why the heck is it so hard for me to find a man attractive. Most of the time, I don't even pay attention to their physical appearance (unless they're really tall, like over 5'11"). I could spend a really long time listing all the women (famous or not) I find attractive and/or sexy, and I could explain in details what I like in each one of them, but when it comes to men, it's a completely different situation. IMO, men are not sexy at all, and I would consider very few of them (maybe 10 famous men, tops) to be kind of cute/attractive. It even made me question whether I'm hetero.

For instance, about two weeks ago, I saw a stunning girl who looked a bit unusual (great skin, big blue eyes, light blonde hair, delicate features), and I could barely keep my eyes off her. She was so pretty that I was even thinking about introducing myself, just to try to get to know her better (thank goodness I'm too shy to do something like that :D). She really caught my attention. However, men are not very appealing to me (and that's an euphemism), which is weird, because I'm heteroromantic. At least as far as I know... I mean, wasn't it supposed to be the other way around? :huh:

Anyway, I don't know if that has anything to do with my asexuality (probably not, but who knows?), but it was the closest thing I could think of.

that sounds what I go through with attraction. There have been many women I've been attracted to and I struggle to think of any way to talk or greet them.

Well, sexuals see it through two layers, sexual attraction and aesthetic attraction, only seeing it through one of those definitively affects my perception of attractiveness.

booksoversex

I would agree with the above post (hi, fellow Scandinavian, btw!). A lot of people who are considered "hot" or sexy don't register with me because I don't get attracted to people that way. I mentioned Channing Tatum in another post, to me he is just some really broad-shouldered guy with a square/bulldog face. Nothing attractive about him at all. This might be related to my asexuality, because apparently he is smoking hot. But all he's got is sex appeal and I don't care much for that. I think his muscles are too defined and he looks like he was smashed in the face with a brick. No offense, hope he's not reading this forum. :P There are several celebrities I think are good-looking, without really considering them in a sexual way. Many of them are considered very hot amongst sexuals too, so I guess my aesthetic sense of attraction is not so different than other people's.

I have some preferences as to whom I find aesthetically attractive, so it is also an individual thing of course. But I defintely think it matters. I don't care much for muscles, probably because I don't feel sexual attraction. Usually I also find people more attractive if they are charming (which is hard to define, but definitely real) and friendly, and seem smart.

I'm confused, the pictures posted in this thread are of very conventionally attractive people.
Regardless of sexuality, people differ in what they find aesthetically pleasing or, if they ever do, attractive.

JustanotherTobigirl

I'm confused, the pictures posted in this thread are of very conventionally attractive people.

Regardless of sexuality, people differ in what they find aesthetically pleasing or, if they ever do, attractive.

That's becouse they are all pictures found on the internet. Its hard to find pictures of conveniently attractive people that fit the bill on the internet. I think you'd have a better idea if we pointed out what we are not attracted to. Such as the fact I'm not attracted to any of One Direction, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Hemsworth, and so on. I don't even find Tom Hiddleson physically attractive, but I like his attitude so much I'm begining to see him as more attractive. (this is all aesthetic of course)

hqdefault.jpg

This is the type of stuff I sometimes see and I just don't get what all the fuss is about. I don't get how an ass, with the duty of expelling, well, shit. Is sexy.

Other stuff is like this

boobs-920-4.jpg

It just seems like it would get in the way yet it makes a lot of people go wild and people get implants to get bigger breasts.

That's becouse they are all pictures found on the internet. Its hard to find pictures of conveniently attractive people that fit the bill on the internet. I think you'd have a better idea if we pointed out what we are not attracted to. Such as the fact I'm not attracted to any of One Direction, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Hemsworth, and so on. I don't even find Tom Hiddleson physically attractive, but I like his attitude so much I'm begining to see him as more attractive. (this is all aesthetic of course)

I'm sure there are plenty of pictures of unusually attractive people on the internet that fit your criteria, I don't think posting pictures of pretty european and hot asian models helps make one's point about how their beauty standard doesn't fall in line with the norm. I don't see how the picture posted by the OP could ever be considered unattractive, or even anything less than "above average" by most.

Attractiveness varies widely from person to person, and I'm sure when it comes to actors and musicians the factor of admiration for their work plays a big role.

Additionally, people who find them attractive don't necessarily hold the same standards for their potential sexual or romantic partners. I find that things such as body type, hair color, fashion sense and demeanor are much more important to determine attraction rather than facial features. You wouldn't date someone who you find aesthetically repulsive, of course, but you also wouldn't date someone who doesn't share the same interests and tastes as you to some extent.

Anyhow, I think attractiveness is purely a matter of personal choice, heavily influenced by culture and social interaction with peers.