Sexual aversion turning into asexuality.

VanGhost

I want to know people's thoughts on the idea of sexual aversion evolving into asexuality.

Asexuality is an orientation, so I doubt that an aversion could make one asexual. Rather, sounds more like it would make you celibate.

Of course, this is not to say that one's orientation could not be changing. I Just that I don't think one can condition an orientation away.

Moved from Asexual Q&A to Asexual Musings and Rantings.

Lia

Asexual Q&A Co-Mod

Agreed with Lost. I don't think a deeply ingrained behavior ever becomes/leads to an orientation... just to another behavior (i.e. celibacy).

I want to know people's thoughts on the idea of sexual aversion evolving into asexuality.

No, some sexuals experience sexual aversion after difficult experiences. It doesn't change their orientation.

I can see where the OP is approaching this from. There are people, like myself who avoided sexual activity before discovering asexuality. I don't regard it as evolving into asexuality, more becoming aware that the orientation exists.

Naturally somebody who is asexual may be repulsed by sexual activity, but it can take a long time to realise why.

Naturally somebody who is asexual may be repulsed by sexual activity, but it can take a long time to realise why.

Definitely -- took me many decades.

Sure, it could happen.

Rather, sounds more like it would make you celibate.

This is probably more likely, though, but who knows?

BlessYourFace

Sexual aversion actually guided me to asexuality. Before then I was doing it to fit in and thinking that maybe I hadn't just found the one, which got me thinking about it and I realized that I just didn't feel the same way about sex the way everyone else was, which led to deep contemplation and realizing it was all around me and I couldn't escape it, which led to an overload and acceptance that it was just me, which led to a 'this-just-isn't-working-out' break up with the best boyfriend I had because I was sick of putting myself in that position and decided to just throw the towel in and live in my own little 'aversion' world until I did a Google search and found this site, then it all clicked and I haven't looked back.

So yes, in a way I guess you can say sexual aversion leads to asexuality...at least recognizing aspect of it.

Touchofinsight

Agreed with Lost. I don't think a deeply ingrained behavior ever becomes/leads to an orientation... just to another behavior (i.e. celibacy).

Keep in mind no orientation really proves to be a real thing in terms of genetics, we have no proof for orientations we just assume they are true and have adopted the idea as fact without any concrete evidence other then anecdotal experiences.

It still has yet to proven to be genetic, social evolution, or a cluster of various factors. In essence all we have are hypothesis so saying anything isn't or is an orientation is pretty moot.

Astrochelonian

Maybe. I don't think there's any way to say for sure. The brain is mysterious and people are good at convincing themselves of things.

As a young teen, I decided hormones and sexual attraction and activity were all terrible and I was going to have nothing to do with them. It was almost a decade before I heard of asexuality and it occurred to me that maybe I didn't choose my "orientation" and maybe that wasn't how it worked for other people.

Archived