US policy and law

Unlabeled

Why do we continue to do what we know doesn't work?

After a mass shooting we talk about banning the weapons used, or controlling who can get weapons. Not the psychological impulses that led to someone becomming violent. But when there's a fatality or many fatalities in a drunk driving incident we don't propose banning the car used. Or limiting who can buy a car to those that don't drink.

We have unrealisticly high ages of sexual consent. Teach abstinenance-only sexual "education" in public schools. Make sex something sinful and dirty. Then we ask why STI rates among supposedly celibate teens are so high, why so many are getting pregnant and/or having abortions, and having secret sex behind parents' backs. And int his example, all despite many countries having demonstrated that when you do the opposite all the htings you're worrying about go down. But instead of following suit, we continue doing what doesn't work, wont work, and at the expense of our young generation.

We censor the natural naked human form on tv, but not destruction of that form via violence. Can show the most graphic violence you wish completely freely. But don't you dare show people making a baby together because they love eacho ther, somehow that's objectionable. But if the husband wants to murder his wife, that's cool. You can show that.

Seems like the US is Bizarro World from Superman doing all the things opposite to how we should. I wanna know why.

I'll paraphrase what has been said before, but is far too often true... "never let a good tragedy go to waste." At least that's what the politicians say.

I'll paraphrase what has been said before, but is far too often true... "never let a good tragedy go to waste." At least that's what the politicians say.

That's my current working theory. They want the issue for political use. If they fixed it they'd lose the issue. But that's paints a really lousy picture of politicians. Am no fan of their's to begin with but even I don't think that low of them. :) Though it certainly fits.

The US has the most ridiculously unfunded mental health system. No politicians want to spend money in it because it would yield little benefit for the rich. Most people who are shot by police have been previously diagnosed as mentally ill, but politicians won't even mention that. They're scared of training police to deal with mentally ill suspects snowballing into a movement to fund the mental health system.

Archived