Dealing with loneliness and isolation.

Temerity

@Bambi2 Sorry to hear about your bad weekend.  Congratulations on getting through it!  The holidays can be hell, as can the loneliness that comes from them (which is part of the reason I circled back to this website after drifting away months ago for various reasons).  The good news is that there are plenty of people here who are warm, welcoming, and understanding (again, part of the reason... circling... etc :)) even if we are smattered around the globe.  Fingers crossed and a cyberhug for you.  For me, I find that getting involved in all the Giving Tree, Toys 4 Tots, etc gift drives I can get my hands on helps replace that instinctual need to shop for loved ones and, thereby, smooths the season considerably.... that and having a job that requires I work every holiday, so I am usually distracted and surrounded by equally miserable people on the actual day.  

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!  The community is always here for you if/when ever needed.  

• 2 weeks later...

I get it.  The older i get (I'm 45) the more isolated I seem to get.  I used to joke that I'm a hermit but I am a little concerned.   I practically get sick in groups of strangers or even acquaintances, and I don't find "really liking" people to be as easy as it is for some people; I've known social butterflies who just pick up friends almost like nothing.  But I crave a conversation that goes beyond "what's your favorite color" or whatever -- but "new" people seem to favor that kind of small talk with each other at first.    

straightouttamordor

I have a roomate. I am legally separated. Wife wasn't asexual. She was sociopath hyper sexual. Wont sign a divorce. She is extorting me to stay on my health and dental insurance. I can petition for abandonment in another year. No equity in the house to split. Its hard financially and emotionally. My roomate is my former neighbor and a retired co worker. Alcoholic. Not a mean one. A happy drunk. God bless him he tries to stop but he just cant. Sex just doesn't mean that much to me. The things people do to get it are beyond evil sometimes. I do often feel isolated. I try to stay busy and focused. Set small goals and grind out the granite till I hit diamonds. I am glad this website exists. It is my only link to like minded people. I am a newbie here. But belong to another site as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 0:35 PM, Bambi2 said:

I just got through a very bad holiday weekend. I lost my husband a year and half ago and thought I was coping but this Thanksgiving, my aloneness hit me like a ton of bricks. I have no family left to speak of and I have no idea as to go about meeting other asexual people. I would love to other like-minded people to socialize with but can't go around telling potential dating companions that I am just not interested in a sexual relationship.

Bambi, so sorry to hear of your loss! But please reach out, come here or you can try 7cupsoftea, 7cupsoftea *isn't*a dating site they have trained active listeners that can listen here is a bit about 7cupsoftea from their website:  "Whether you are going through a challenging time or just want to talk to someone, at 7 Cups you'll find a path connecting you to kind people and helping you develop new skills to solve your problems."https://www.7cups.com/I see you are 72 correct, I mention this because there are so many groups/clubs for seniors, not entirely sure they are asexual though. Anyhow good luck!

Also festive holiday greetings, folks! There is this post from realsocialskills of things to do if you want to celebrate christmas but will be alone http://realsocialskills.org/post/105953947952/celebrating-christmas-alone. and another one for things to do on christmas and you don't want to celebrate it http://realsocialskills.org/post/106066402653/things-to-do-on-christmas-if-you-dont-want-to

• 1 month later...

I'm a social recluse. I don't have any friends nor want any.

I will be getting a dog soon so it will be a friend that I could trust.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm a bit reclusive myself, I tend to go through phases of trying to be the like and soul, then run out of steam and retreat back again. 

I don't really get lonely, but I do get very bored. I prefer to be doing something than nothing.

Archived