Asexual Siblings?

Confusion 0

Confusion 0

Basically, my sister, who is older than me, came out as being asexual many years ago, maybe 4 years ago or something like that. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Then, some time later, she showed me an article about asexuality, and reading about asexuals sounded a bit odd, but then also reading it from an allosexual's POV was just as weird. I then started referring to myself as partially-asexual. Only after talking to asexuals online did I start to identify as grey-a. Now, I believe my brother is also asexual. He never seemed interested in anything to do with sex, which rang alarm bells for me recently. So I asked him if he had ever experienced sexual attraction, to which he responded "Define sexual attraction". Also, like me, he doesn't see any romance in sex at all, and said he wouldn't really care if he never had sex in a relationship. He says he isn't completely asexual, but he's yet to prove it. Either way, I think he definitely fits somewhere in the asexual spectrum.

So all three of us are in the asexual spectrum. ^_^

Is this just a freak coincidence, or are siblings more likely to be asexual? :huh:

Moved thread to Asexual Relationships.

SkyWorld

Asexual Q&A Co-Mod

I think there might be a link. There was a thread yesterday about it being a "genetic mutation", if it is, then there are more chances for siblings to be aces...

At least, you and your siblings understand each other, you can talk about it, that's pretty cool ^_^

Shortly after discovering I was ace, I was reading "The Invisible Orientation", when my mom and I came to the conclusion that she was gray-ace, as is her mother and one of her aunts. Talking it over with my younger brother, I'm fairly certain that he's on the ace spectrum as well.... None of my siblings were ever really interested in sex to begin with. I think it very well could run in families.

I'm inclined to think it runs in families too, as my brother is ace or maybe grey-ace, and there are others in my family as well.

Every trait is affected by both genes and environment, so yeah, genetics certainly play a role in determining what someone's sexual orientation is, but I'm sure it's not the only factor.

Asexuality does seem to run in my family too, though it's not the majority and so far has only occurred in women in my family.

butterscotchwm

I had my suspicions on both of my younger siblings as well for being asexual (and I mean "suspicions in a lighthearted way"). There are a lot of traits I see in them that I see in myself: having no interest in sex - not getting it when other people drool over someone who's "hot" - being confused about why ppl are so obsessed with sex - ect. I didn't come out to my siblings as asexual... and maybe I should... But I mentioned asexuality to them, and explained what it was. They both kind of didn't seem to care that much or think much about it.

Until one day apparently my sister's friend in high school kept showing her pictures of male celebrities she thought was hot, and reacting to my sister's neutral/indifferent reaction, her friend said "Oh my god you're like asexual or something!!" So when my sister told me that, I gave her my copies of The Invisible Orientation and Understanding Asexuality (because she's a big reader). And idk if she's finished them yet (I think I'll ask for them back today) but when I asked her about it last week she said, "Hmm... I mean I still think guys are hot so I don't think I'm asexual.... But this was interesting, I didn't know asexuality was an actual sexual orientation. I thought it meant that you just hadn't found the right person or something..."

So if my sister is or isn't asexual, at least she knows what it is now ^^ It took me like 3 years to come to terms with my asexuality, so...

my brother, not knowing that I am ace, came out as ace to me a few months ago (he's never been super lgbt-friendly so hopefully this is going to be a growing experience for him!) I don't know about our other brother but I've been wondering if siblings are likely to all be ace spectrum

whocaresthough

I think my dad is! Maybe there's some kind of genetic thing? I guess it could be possible!

whocaresthough

Then again, I really think my best friend is(grey-A), too. Maybe people that hang out with you a lot when you're a child can influence it or something?

PerformativeSurprise

This is really interesting; I didn't realize having multiple aces in a family is so common. I don't think anyone else in my family is asexual. My brother is gay, though. We're the odd ones out--everyone else in my family, that I know of, is straight.

I think my mother is asexual too. I've explained to her what it was (well before I finally did my coming out to her) but she insisted she wasn't even though she's absolutely not interested in sex. :/ I think she just wants to be 'normal' but it's not my place to tell her what she should identify as.

Squirrel Combat

My brother is absolutely not Ace. Man, from what he shares, he's a wild, wild animal in bed with his SO. :blink:

I suspect my brother could be. The topic has never come up between us but I've never seen any suggestion of an interest in the opposite sex.

On my Dad's side, I have two uncle's and an aunt. One is gay, the other is a lesbian, and the 3rd I've only known to have one girlfriend in his life, and that was 20 years ago... :huh:

andreas1033

I do not really know much about the family, as you lot are probably more closer to your siblings then me, or other family members.

fish of hearts

Looking back on her life, I sometimes wonder if my older sister was.

I also strongly suspect that at least one uncle on each side of my family is, though like andreas1033 above me, I'm not close enough to that family to say, "Hello," let alone broach such a question.

crazypimpernelfan

I think some of my siblings fall in the asexual spectrum (like me). But it's very hard to tell, because my siblings and I were homeschooled and I read somewhere that you're more likely (not guaranteed though) to be asexual if you were homeschooled. So maybe it has some environmental causes as well. I think our biology, as well as our environment, can determine where we fall.

Either way, most of my family still identifies in the sexual spectrum (as straight). Though when I came out a year ago as asexual to one of my sibs, my sib told me, "Oh, I'm not sexually attracted to anybody either! I don't consider myself asexual though." So they all call themselves straight, even with little to no sexual attraction--and that's fine! That's their choice to call themselves straight. Though it's kinda strange that I'm the only one in my family who's not straight, haha

I am. My sibling is. My mum definitely has ace-tendencies. My aunt decided she was ace after reading my Facebook posts.

So maybe!

helana12_03

I'm the only asexual in my family...

Archived