Do you consider/label yourself asexual?

Vincisomething

Vincisomething

I'm mainly talking of those in the ace community who aren't strictly asexual. For example, demisexual, gray A, lithosexual, etc. Would you be comfortable saying you are asexual? Is it appropriate to say you are asexual, even if you may be more specifically another sexuality in the community?

I'm grey-ace but when I rarely tell someone my sexuality I just say I'm ace because when I throw in grey they're just ???

It's unfortunate but it happens.

Confusion 0

I'm grey-ace but when I rarely tell someone my sexuality I just say I'm ace because when I throw in grey they're just ???

It's unfortunate but it happens.

Yup, same.

I don't really define it any more than "asexual" (and more recently "quoiromantic"), both because it is easier to explain and because I don't actually know. I don't recall ever seeing someone and feeling that I would like to have any kind of sex with them. If that feeling would be sexual attraction, then the lack of it seems to indicate I am asexual.

AshenPhoenix

I usually tell people "I have no real idea, but if I HAD to say right now, asexual I suppose". As indicated by the awesome shrug guy in my a/sexuality field, I have no idea in hell hat I am. Might be Gray-A, might be demi, might be homosexual. Time will tell, but in the meantime it's easiest to stick with the label I told everyone before I thought I wasn't ace

I'm mainly talking of those in the ace community who aren't strictly asexual. For example, demisexual, gray A, lithosexual, etc. Would you be comfortable saying you are asexual? Is it appropriate to say you are asexual, even if you may be more specifically another sexuality in the community?

I usually just say "asexual" for simplicity. For me demi is a subset of ace (and I'm only barely not aro/ace anyway), and asexuality is easier to explain to straight people than anything in the grey area.

andreas1033

No, i always thought the term was androgynous.

I always saw gender, was a mixture of both masculine and feminine. I just considered i have a balanced mixture of both.

I always saw gender, was a mixture of both masculine and feminine. I just considered i have a balanced mixture of both.

What does that even have to do with asexuality? Are you posting in the wrong thread by mistake?

No i dont use labels,labels are like price tags to me.

I know i am asexual, think as an asexual and behave as an asexual but that doesnt mean im walking around with a sign on my neck saying "hey everyone, im asexual!!".

I have only told my mom and will tell my future partner so they know where they are close at with me and thats it, I love my privacy and i dont think i would be comfortable with telling the whole world im asexual, unless its to raise awareness then i might consider telling other people about it.

crazypimpernelfan

I always tell people simply that "I'm bisexual", but if they ever ask for a better description of my attractions, one of my responses is, "Okay. I'm a biromantic gray-homosexual". They just gotta figure that one out. :P So I usually leave out the gray-ace bit and simply say that I'm bisexual. If anybody asked if I still somewhat identify as gray-ace, I'd affirm in the positive because I AM still, literally speaking, gray-ace. ^.^

I've found that I don't think of people in an essentialist way (including myself) so don't label myself asexual (or sexual).

scarletlatitude

I use asexual because I am more that than anything else. I'm grey in the sense that I might consider sex, maybe, someday, with the right person, in the right circumstances, at the right time, if the stars align. :P Therefore I am functionally asexual really, with the caveat that I may consider sex.

I use asexual when talking to people in a broad sense because explaining I am okay with sex but just don't feel attraction seems to throw people off. The close friends I've told had many initial reactions of 'Are you sure? But X reason?' So this way I can let people know that no, I will not be checking out the girls at the club, please do not grind on me and if you are hoping to fuck me later it won't be happening. Muuuch simpler, though I have been known to explain if anyone shows innocent curiousity.

Devil Kisses

I tend to describe myself as less sexual than average. On the internet I experiment with calling myself grey-sexual. I prefer to call myself grey-sexual because I'm on the more sexual side of the spectrum.

Vincisomething

I usually just say "asexual" for simplicity. For me demi is a subset of ace (and I'm only barely not aro/ace anyway), and asexuality is easier to explain to straight people than anything in the grey area.

I usually do the same to because not a lot of people know about asexuality, let alone demisexuality. When I said I was in the ace community, one of my friends was like, "you're not asexual, you still have the capability to have sexual attraction!" Yeah, but I've never been sexually attracted to anyone. It's still much closer to asexuality, I think, than allosexuality. I may not be strictly asexual, but I'm still in the community. Her basically invalidating where I stood kind of made me question if a demisexual like me could say asexual.

Vincisomething

I use asexual when talking to people in a broad sense because explaining I am okay with sex but just don't feel attraction seems to throw people off. The close friends I've told had many initial reactions of 'Are you sure? But X reason?' So this way I can let people know that no, I will not be checking out the girls at the club, please do not grind on me and if you are hoping to fuck me later it won't be happening. Muuuch simpler, though I have been known to explain if anyone shows innocent curiousity.

The first friend I told basically said I just needed to go on more dates <_<. Another friend I told turned out to be pan-demisexual. Most others I've told just asked what it was and didn't really have a reaction one way or another, because when I "come out," it's more of a "oh, by the way..." thing rather than a heavy, heart-felt thing. Another friend, when I said I was in the ace community because of my sexuality, told me I wasn't asexual because "I still have the capability for sexual attraction." As if she thinks sexual attraction comes so easily to me.. she's the most allosexual person I know, so I just waved what she said away (it annoyed me more than an allosexual person basically had the balls to say where an asexual, or someone of the like, stood). But it did get me curious to see if people in the ace community that aren't strictly asexual can label themselves so. I usually say asexuality for the convenience because I do lack the sexual attraction. Being the only ace with no interest in sex (as of now) in a group of sexually active allosexual people is great if you're playing Kings Cup and the Never Have I Ever round comes around ;) .

I usually do the same too because not a lot of people know about asexuality, let alone demisexuality. When I said I was in the ace community, one of my friends was like, "you're not asexual, you still have the capability to have sexual attraction!" Yeah, but I've never been sexually attracted to anyone. It's still much closer to asexuality, I think, than allosexuality. I may not be strictly asexual, but I'm still in the community. Her basically invalidating where I stood kind of made me question if a demisexual like me could say asexual.

Well I don't know about you but personally I'm effectively aro/ace except for those very rare, specific times. So lumping me in with heteroromantics, let alone heterosexuals, seems pretty silly to me. I'm closer to asexual than anything else.

My emotions and sexuality are too complex to place in one category or under one label. I have several labels in my profile, but they are for the purpose of making friends here and trying to better understand myself.

Generally, I would not articulate those labels to anyone in the real world, since it would just cause confusion. As for close friends, if they are open to the truth, then I will attempt to explain my complexities to them, but I don't need asexual terminology to do that. I'm a complex of many interacting/conflicting energies, and that is how I attempt to explain myself to interested friends and/or loves.

To be honest, I feel that using asexual terminology causes more confusion than understanding, since what I struggle with cannot be neatly packaged under one word or a few different words. The words help me to explore things that I never thought of before, but I will not use them in the real world to classify myself. There is just too much ambiguity and overlapping in what i struggle with. To label such complexity would be to miss much of the truth.

I explain my sexual orientation as straddling the line between asexuality and homosexuality. I'm not really comfortable calling myself asexual or gay because I'm sex repulsed and have a very low sex drive but also experience sexual attraction very infrequently (and, as I've also noticed, only to one person at a time - people I've found attractive before are no long attractive when I find someone new). I'm g®ay-a.

Yeah initially. It fits my life experience more than being allosexual.

rileycastiel

I'm still not really sure where I am on the ace spectrum, but to keep it simple, I just state that I'm asexual.

I've never had any sorta sexual relationships (or any relationships period for that matter).

And it'll very likely be that way forever.

I do have some bi/gay-romantic attraction, and consider myself to be along the line of Demisexual or something close to Asexual. (I'd for sure need a long-term love/relationship first, before I'd even consider anything sexual)

I don't talk about my sexuality, and in general avoid relationship stuff other than something like "I don't date" or "have never dated". If it came to it I'd simply admit to being "pretty much asexual" thats the easiest way to explain :)

I'd definitely leave out anything about having gay-romantic feelings.

When someone wants a label, I like to say "If I had to label myself, I'm ..." or "Others would probably label me as ...".

MarieIsEatingTacobell

Uhm, no I'm not really comfortable calling myself asexual because I'm very much cemented in being demi on the ace spectrum.

If someone asks me about my sexuality outside of here or the internet, generally I stick to pan. That's probably why I wouldn't be comfortable responding with ace, because I already have another label to default to for the purpose of simplifying. Imeanitsnotreallysimple, but you know what I mean.

I've been calling myself ace for simplicity's sake. If people get all up in my face because I have had sex before and therefore cannot be asexual, I get to explain to them that first of all that's not what defines an asexual and second of all I'm demi.

Lord Jade Cross

I dont call myself ace yet because Im kind of in the process of discovery but so far the signs certainly point to that.

Residentshadow

I usually say Graysexual or Gray-Ace; sometimes I say Asexual but either way I find myself spending time explaining both.

demiandproud

Yes and no... I'd say I'm participating in the asexual community, and I place myself on the asexual spectrum (I love that term) and see asexuality as an umbrella term for, amongst other things, my own sexuality. But I label myself demisexual, because I think that label fits the contents best.

Vincisomething

What does that even have to do with asexuality? Are you posting in the wrong thread by mistake?

I think you're confusing a few things, lol...

Vincisomething

Yes and no... I'd say I'm participating in the asexual community, and I place myself on the asexual spectrum (I love that term) and see asexuality as an umbrella term for, amongst other things, my own sexuality. But I label myself demisexual, because I think that label fits the contents best.

I say demisexual, but for simplicity, I usually say "on the ace spectrum." It bothered me when a friend said I wasn't asexual because "I had the capability to have sexual attraction." I never said I was ace, so she misunderstood (I said I was in the community) but at the same time it was the way she said it. Like I'm magically going to become allosexual for a time being or something. It probably felt like what bisexuals, pansexual, or polysexuals feel when people tell them "they still have the capability to be in a straight relationship."

Archived