Still so confused

Explore4more

How do you wade through everything, all your feelings? I can't figure out what my orientation is.

I had things happen when I was younger that made me ashamed, never had dated, been in a relationship, or had sex because that all scares me. I'm somewhat attracted to characters in movies/TV shows, but in real life, I just can't tell if I feel attraction. I'm not sure if that's just from fear or I'm really picky, or I'm truly asexual.

How did you figure things out? Everything is so confusing! How did you know?

Well, I'm romantic and know so because I am just now getting over someone, but I found out I was ace fairly recently because I realized, "Wait, I like this girl, like REALLY like this girl, shouldn't I want to have sex with her?" But I didn't. So I looked this place up after seeing it mentioned in an article, and did some digging, and felt like this was me. Now, I'm a person of faith, so I do meditate and pray a lot, so that helped me; however, I am aware that some people think in different ways. I would definitely recommend meditation, even if you're not a spiritual person. Just sit down, with a good posture, and breathe. Make sure you're free of distraction, like cell phones, tv, etc. Close your eyes. And with every breath, release your worries. Empty your mind. You may see things in aclearerr light. If not, then I hope you find some other way to help understand yourself.

RoseGoesToYale

Trying to figure out sexual orientation can be confusing. I didn't really know I was any different until I read about asexuality and realized that "liking" someone and feeling "sexually attracted" to someone were actually different things, which explained why I felt one without the other. I just tried to read all I could about romantic and sexual attraction, especially others experiences, to see if any of it made sense to me. The more I learned, the more comfortable I felt with the concept of sexual orientation and I know that asexual just fits.

Questioning yourself can be a good thing, too. It helps you get to know yourself better and figure out what you want out of life and relationships. If the term "asexual" feels like who you are, then you can absolutely use it. :) If not, you can always keep searching.

1) Does anyones presence turn you on and make you have the impulse to do sexual things to them? (aka sexual attraction)

2) Does anyone cause you to feel soft/fuzzy feelings with some degree of fixation? (aka romantic attraction) Some people react to it with butterflies in their stomach, blushing, a dreamy mind set, etc, and some don't.

3) There is Fictosexual and Fictoromantic; having that attraction toward fictional characters.

RaisedByHippies98

There are so many words for so many feelings. Though we are all different, and many things about us cannot be put into labels, there are lots of opportunities for you to come across a term and say "that's me!" so even if you think you're weird or alone, don't worry, there are people here who will understand.