Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

Do you chew non-food items?  

1. 1. Tick all you have chewed in the past 6 months

• pens and/or pencils
    • erasers
    • hair (this can be really dangerous)
    • cutlery
    • hair-ties
    • jewellery (necklace, bracelet, ring etc, NOT piercings)
    • piercings
    • own fingers, hands etc
    • finger nails
    • glasses/sunglasses
    • clothing (sleeves, toggles etc)
    • paper
    • other stationary
    • fiddle-toys
    • pillows
    • other thing(s) not listed
    • No I don't chew things
    • No but I used to chew things (past infancy)
    • I'll chew almost anything if it is clean enough
  2. 2. Do you think chewing non-food items is weird?

• yes, and I do it
    • no and I don't do it
    • some of those seemed weird, others normal, and I chew things
    • some of those seemed weird, others normal, and I don't chew things
    • No opinion
    • other
    • yes, and I don't do it
    • no, and I do it

This poll is closed to new votes

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

Just wondering

I chew pens, pencils, my ace ring, my hands, random stationary, clothes, and anything else that seems clean enough

Big hand/sleeve chewer when I'm nervous or uncomfortable and I chew on any pen I use, which is why I have so many and never borrow them. I chew on forks, especially plastic ones. I used to stash them in my purse for emergencies...also straws! Straws are my favourite. I used to buy them just to chew on them. And finally, I'm the worst nail chewer/biter. They are so short and crooked from it and I don't bother painting my nails cuz I just mess it up.

Anxiety, especially in social/public situations, has always led to me having this strange oral fixation. It's soothing to chew on things because it diverts my attention away from the cause of my uneasiness.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I used to chew my nails for the longest time, before my then-employer challenged her 10-year-old son and I to be the first to give it up.

That little kid just stopped like it was no thing at all, and I couldn't bear to lose like that so I suddenly found it very easy to stop too XD Those gross anti-nail varnish things, rubber bands on my wrists, bribing myself into stopping... none of those worked like the thought of a 10-year old beating me at giving up nail-biting :P

I never used to chew things in the past, but recently I started chewing on pens/pencils, and also any necklaces I wear (on the rare occasion that I actually wear a necklace). I think it's a really strange habit to have picked up after years of not doing it, but I still chew things anyway. :/

WhenSummersGone

I used to chew on pens but now I don't chew at all.

Tick all you have chewed in the past 6 months:

[x] other thing(s) not listed

FOOD!

allrightalready

all i chew is food and even that as little as safely possible

I don't chew things, and some of those things seems weird.

I used to chew and often destroy a lot of things as a child, despite it often getting me in trouble. I even used to bite other students until I discovered hygiene and that people don't generally taste nice.

Sleepy Skeleton

Chewing fingernails, erasers, pens, and other things has always been kind of squick-y to me. But the thought of chewing eating utensils makes me shiver. I hate the noise! Chewing things is kind of unhygienic, too. Like if someone offered me some nasty pen that they chewed on, I would be pretty annoyed.

That being said, I chew on my own hands all the time. Usually my knuckles. I just do it without noticing it while I'm on my computer or something. And sometimes I chew on the ends of my hair, without pulling it out and swallowing or something like that. I know it's weird, but it's a habit.

I'm a habitual pen chewers, and nail biter, but that's about it. I used to chew on paper as a child but grew out of that.

Grumpy Alien

I only chew food.

VindicatorPhoenix

Finger and fingernail chewer here. Whether I'm nervous or the fridge is a bit empty, the solution is at my fingertips, get it? :P

Squirrel Combat

I used to chew on my shirts when I was younger. I only chew on food these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't quite chew my hair (though I used to when I was little). I kind of hold it between my lips (not actually in my mouth) because I like the texture. I also hold pens, pencils, and guitar picks between my lips or teeth; I do chew pens sometimes though, and some wood pencils. I also end up chewing on straws when I have them. And I bite my nails. My nails are so short >__<

Some of my friends don't think I chew my food but I do, I just eat fast. But I do chew other stuff like pens

I like to chew, suck, lick and kiss my bare arms and hands. It's kind of bizarre. Especially when I'm in the shower or when they're wet.

I chew on a lot of random things. I haven't chewed on sleeves in a while but I have in the past. big jewelery chewer but haven't worn any in a while, right now its mostly confined to Paperclips, pen/pencils and sunglasses. I don't think its weird, lots of people do that.

objects I find visually appealing or interesting in texture I generally want to chew or suck on lmao. Conversations with friends and family sometimes go like this: me: "That looks pretty cool" them: "Don't put it in your mouth"
This isn't part of the questions, but it's related- I've stolen stuff because of the urge to bite it, hot dang, I'm glad I'm visiting a psychiatrist in a few days

I don't really chew non-food things. Not sure if you can count gum... I mean, technically you're not supposed to eat it. :huh: I used to chew on my nails when I was younger.

I don't chew things except food these days. :P I used to be a big nail biter/chewer. I chewed them down to nubs...but now I have very long nails and don't wanna ruin them. But I just thought...sometimes I chew on my bottom lip, if that counts? Ah well, just thought of that after I voted!

I'm an absolute terror for biting my nails - and the skin around them. I've been trying to let them grow, but I can't stop looking at my nails... Darn habit won't go!

Oh, and I chew my lips sometimes, too. Funnily enough I was chewing my lip as I saw this thread. :p

• 2 weeks later...

so i've noticed that i tend to chew on the color pencils i'm drawing with. they have my mark ^_^

The only nonfood things i chew are straws, forks, any other kind of silverware and my lips........

oh, I guess i also chew around my fingers sometimes.... I've tried to stop, but the only thing that's going make me stop is to carry nail scissors around to cut off the skin I'd chew off....

everything else i chew is food..... I think..... usually....

EverythingAtOnce

I chew on my lip as a nervous habit. I didn't start until I was about 13 and it's become a messy habit, per say.

aussiekirkland

Actually there's a couple of other things I chew. Straws and ice cream pop sticks hahaha

Autumn Season

Water bottles! But it's more like I'm nibbling on their lid with my lips.

Archived