Romantic feelings for Fictional Characters?

MarieIsEatingTacobell

205 members have voted

1. 1. Ever had feelings for a fictional character?

• Just physical attraction
    • Just a crush
    • Yes
    • No, not in anyway.
    • Other (Please explain?)

itsmeelysemarie

As someone who is proudly fictosexual and fictoromantic, I can tell you from experience that the absolute worst thing someone can say to you is any variation of 'I hope you can find someone real to love one day.' 

...and on another note, I thought I'd add my list of loves:

Alan Cumming/any character he's ever played or will play

Link (The Legend of Zelda)

Raúl Esparza (mostly as Rafael Barba)

Brent Spiner (as he is now)

I find that my fictional crush correlates with how interested I am in real life people. When I had a crush on Chloe Price (Life is Strange) I was into girls/non-binary people with blue hair. Now I like Larry Johnson (Sally Face) and chill, metal-head dudes :T

• 2 months later...
halfragment
On 2/17/2018 at 6:58 AM, CummingDelights said:

As someone who is proudly fictosexual and fictoromantic, I can tell you from experience that the absolute worst thing someone can say to you is any variation of 'I hope you can find someone real to love one day.' 

I've been told this by so many people in my life. It really hurts and it bothers me because I feel like they include 'real life' to purposefully make a border, as if to say 'your love is fake and comes to nothing'. When I was younger, my family treated it like it was the cutest thing, but when I became an adult and it didn't go away suddenly it's a huge issue and I'll 'find someone real' eventually. It breaks my heart. I'm with my boyfriend and happy as things are, so why is it the business of everyone else now that I'm an adult, especially?

The only thing worse than being told that is people who take romantic/sexual interest in me and pretend to be understanding of my lack of interest until I turn them down. Then suddenly I have problems.

I was five when Sailor Jupiter made me question my attraction. I didn't think it was even possible for five y/o to feel things, but something about Sailor Jupiter's badass persona stood out. Sailor Uranus was my confirmation. My first ever crushes were on anime characters and I will never be ashamed lol.

Memento-Mori

I don't want to go in details in a public forum, but if there are people who are really deeply in love with a fictional character, you can feel free to PM me.
But I want to tell people who suffers from others judgements, that sometimes it's necessary to keep it for yourself. Find people of trust to tell them about your feelings. I have a few friends. I tell them but perfectly understand this is not their vision of love. I've been telling to a friend for the first time when I was 24. Before, it was my secret, my story.
For me, I had relationships with real persons, and I know I'll still have. For those who think we're trying to escape from reality, it's not the case. And it's not even a crush or "fangirling", (oh I hate these words so much). Deep feelings. Some people fall in love with just hearing a voice, reading a letter... so...

Bronztrooper

So, I've only really had crushes on characters and that's pretty much it.

Kasumi Goto from the Mass Effect series of games.

Bethany Hawke from Dragon Age 2.

And Opal Beifong from Avatar: Legend of Korra.

At least, those are the main ones I remember right now.

atticus_the_porg

I know what you mean and I suppose I experience something similar to a certain extent. I have one character in particular and my biggest fantasy of all time is to have someone I am romantic with cosplay them for me at a convention so I can finally have that release you were describing. I'd get to hold their hand, give them kisses, hug them! Obviously it's not the real thing and I'm not trying to say I'd want to "use" my partner but I'm really into the fantasy/role play thing so it'd be awesome for me. 

And, for what its worth, I don't think you're mental.  

thejollyfolly

I've had strong feelings for fictional characters several times but my problem is I can't figure out if it's a crush/squish/longing to actually BE them or all three simultaneously. 😅 I'm pretty sure it's all three now that I think about it....or at least the last two...

itsmeelysemarie

Despite my previous posts in this thread, I have to wonder if I can really say I'm fictosexual since I'm mostly attracted to celebrities. And I remember reading somewhere that there's a similar identity but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

EDIT: I found the thing I was looking for. Proculsexual/romantic. It's where you only feel attraction to people you know for sure you'll never have a chance with. It might be an alternate way for somebody to ID if fictosexual isn't quite right.

i don't think mine was a crush, more of a "i love this character"

but i dont know

my mom has explained her crush on a fictional character from when she was younger and it sounded a lot more intense than what i feel, which is more like "ah i love this character" or "i want to give this character a hug"

I dont think I've ever had a crush on a fictional character. definitely squishes though or some feelings along the lines of "omg my children!!!!" And I never noticed this until my roommate pointed it out to me when i mentioned I was asexual to her. 

itsmeelysemarie

I sometimes feel so bad about being proculsexual cause I know that I should want a relationship with someone irl but I just...I don't think I'm capable of that. And when I tell people, they tend to think I'm crazy or that I'm making up an identity. But I'm not, and that's what hurts the most.

princessem1020

I have a lot of marvel crushes. I don’t know why I have a thing for MCU characters, maybe because so many of them are super attractive in looks and personality. My biggest ones being on Captain America/Steve Rogers and Winter Solider/Bucky Barnes, who I by the way heavily ship because they share such a deep emotional bond they have shared over the years and both look so cute together too!

ExquisiteMystery

I'm with some of the others, who don't have a romantic basis of comparison. I have definitely spent WAY too much time reading books and/or fanfic (which probably doesn't help my brain). I have had dreams that were continuations of books (past where they stopped) , realistically enough to cause confusion when rereading.

I'll go with, I have been immersed in characters/couples, fairly intensely, but not where I insert myself into the universe. Plus, I almost never really forget a good character I have read. So I probably have countries/cities of interlocking potential relationships, and I am content to let them have it it.

ExquisiteMystery
On 5/11/2018 at 7:38 PM, CummingDelights said:

I sometimes feel so bad about being proculsexual cause I know that I should want a relationship with someone irl but I just...I don't think I'm capable of that. And when I tell people, they tend to think I'm crazy or that I'm making up an identity. But I'm not, and that's what hurts the most.

I'm not quite in the same boat as you, but don't let people tear you down. Real life relationships seems harsh to me. If you aren't stalking/endangering/bothering anyone, and you know what reality is, you are free to love or desire whoever/whatever you want.

You could always be vague/sarcastic and say something like, "No one could live up to (character name)", or  "I only have eyes for (character name)".  And let them guess whether you are being serious/sarcastic/overdramatic, without explanation. You won't be able to really talk about your love in detail,  but should get less questions, and not actually having to lie.

itsmeelysemarie

@Miss A, I thank you for your kind words. Realistically, I can only see myself with one person and only in a qpp sense because my true sexuality is, as I've said, proculsexual. And he knows and accepts this so it all works out.

itsmeelysemarie

...so I definitely selfship with Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner more than I'd ever thought possible. 

sevensevens

Made an acct specifically to post on this thread bc I've just been feeling so bizarrely lost. Like, I'm not questioning how I feel - I have a fictional partner who I treat very similarly to an irl partner in most regards, and it's working fine for me. My question is, I suppose...what now? What do I do? I'd love to be around other people who understood these feelings and felt this way themselves, but I've been struggling to find anyone who I can see eye-to-eye with. There are a few scattered communities about this sort of thing and I've tried most of them, but in every case I've felt like my relationship was too intense for me to fit in, or else someone has seriously gotten under my skin (that one's more my fault, haha). But in all cases they've been really niche places. Is that due to the nature of the thing?

It'd be pretty nice if, like, there was somewhere to go about this. I've tried just about everywhere I can find that I felt wasn't a completely miserable place to go. Where do you guys talk about this? Do you? Is it only here? I've tried making my own spaces but that hasn't really panned out well yet...I guess if anyone was interested I could talk more at length about that. (I'm kind of a paranoid person, so I've been attempting to enforce at least a little anonymity in terms of how I talk about my relationship with regards to my identity in public. That's mostly why I don't want to get too specific right away.)

Do we as people who feel this way (whether IDing as fictoromantic/fictosexual or something different) have, like, some big secret community I don't know anything about, is what I'm asking, I guess. And if not...how do we start something that really sticks, and isn't, like, 2 people and a paperclip? I don't necessarily care about creating some big movement in society or anything, I just think it'd be reassuring for me and everyone else to have a community to fall back on, yknow?

DoYouUnderstand

The only human being I've ever had any amount of sexual attraction for was Commander William T. Riker. I don't even know why. He just has this aura about him like "I'm the alpha male, you're safe with me," and stuff...

On 5/17/2018 at 11:57 PM, Miss A said:

I'm with some of the others, who don't have a romantic basis of comparison. I have definitely spent WAY too much time reading books and/or fanfic (which probably doesn't help my brain). I have had dreams that were continuations of books (past where they stopped) , realistically enough to cause confusion when rereading.

I'll go with, I have been immersed in characters/couples, fairly intensely, but not where I insert myself into the universe. Plus, I almost never really forget a good character I have read. So I probably have countries/cities of interlocking potential relationships, and I am content to let them have it it.

It sounds like we have a similar approach.  I don't imagine myself with any of my fictional crushes, but I love reading/thinking about them and seeing them interact with their significant other if they have one.  My favorite characters are intensely present in my head; I feel like I'd know them anywhere.

ExquisiteMystery
18 hours ago, DoYouUnderstand said:

The only human being I've ever had any amount of sexual attraction for was Commander William T. Riker. I don't even know why. He just has this aura about him like "I'm the alpha male, you're safe with me," and stuff...

I agree he is visually appealing/handsome,  and pretty good in the leadership position. And I never really liked him with Deanna Troi.

I always liked Picard better, though. Nice voice, smart, diplomatic and had varied interests.

• 2 weeks later...
itsmeelysemarie
On 5/18/2018 at 6:27 PM, Salmiakki said:

I think out of all my crushes like 25 % have been on fictional characters 

I'm the opposite. I've had more fictional and/or celebrity attractions than real ones. I've always been that way, too, for as long as I can remember.

knittinghistorian
On 5/11/2018 at 11:02 AM, Karoushi said:

I dont think I've ever had a crush on a fictional character. definitely squishes though or some feelings along the lines of "omg my children!!!!" And I never noticed this until my roommate pointed it out to me when i mentioned I was asexual to her. 

Exactly!

7 hours ago, CummingDelights said:

I'm the opposite. I've had more fictional and/or celebrity attractions than real ones. I've always been that way, too, for as long as I can remember.

I separate fictional character crushes and celebrity crushes. So a real person = celebrity, a made up person = fictional character

I know we can't really know how celebrities actually act in real life and they have an image to sell, but I do separate them since I still consider I have a crush on a "real" person, they are living people after all. 

So I think for me it's like this

25% fictional crushes aka cartoons (I've had a few crushes on guys from cartoons, but I can only remember one right now; when I was a kid I liked Riven from Winx XD) and characters played by real people (so for example, I once actually had a crush on Joker from the Suicide Squad :'D not the actor, Jared Leto, just the character of Joker he played)

Right, and I've had a crush on I think two different online game characters

25% "real" people so people I "knew" in real life, like from school or something

And the rest so 50% celebrities aka singers, actors, etc. I've even had some crushes on YouTubers. Celebrity crushes are my favorite

What is sometimes hard for me to judge is that whether my crush is on an actor (celebrity), the character they play(ed) (fictional) or both

Hope I put it in an understandable way that makes sense

• 7 months later...

So, I've brought this thread back from the dead again.

Has anyone ever had *precognitive* dreams about a work/manga/series/ character, etc??

I too have had romantic attractions to fictional characters for as long as I can remember. I never wanted them to have sex with me; more like listen to me and cuddle with me at bedtime. Some seemed only to be friends, while I had crushes on others, male or female. They also sat at the lunch table in high school with me, in my classes too. Of course, only I could see them. Apparently, I really wanted friends, but being raised as a Jehovah's Witness, my friends HAD to also be JoVos' too, so I was limited and fictional characters saved my life. It's kinda nice to get this out. Great thread!

• 5 weeks later...

@ShinyEeveelynn

You might not read this but I relate to you so much I started tearing up xD. I've been in a fictional relationship for about 2 1/2 years now, We even have our own anniversary day! I'm 15 so I started when I was like 12 or 13ish. I thought it was gonna be a normal anime crush, like I had a crush on Natsu before and I thought i'd be just like that. Little did I know... I just saw things in this character I wish I had, like being smart and independent. He's actually a Sadist xP But He has good points and he's empathetic. Sorry I'm rambling about him uwu I understand soooooo much about wanting to lay with him in bed and wishing he was there. I cried one night because of this and had this aching pain in my chest because of how much I miss him. It's just an episode, I get those rarely. This was like the second time. (So don't worry if you are ;w;) (He's actually my profile picture) Except...I get jealous, like really possessive. If you said you loved him I'd be like #Relateable. But If I knew you irl and stuff I'd be so jealous xD. (I didn't say his name yet since I'm quite possessive~) 

When I tell people this they don't understand how serious I am. I get jealous, I cry and I get really irritated when it has to do with him. When I'm sad I think of him so I can feel better. Especially the ships, I hate all ships with him because [He's mine >:^3] I'm really possessive about him. [You can say I started disliking people because of it, them shipping him with another girl/boy or just liking him.]  And when I hear his voice and the things he does I just fangirl like a normal person. It starts getting hot and I always smile. (I never had butterflies with real people so I don't know how that feels but I have this strong feeling in my chest that I get when I see him at times) Sometimes I just get feels and smile and fall more in love. People tell me I blush when I look at him and I'm like (Wot??? 0_0)

I met him by chance. Obviously the cliche which anime should I watch?? looks away and clicks random anime Maybe it was fate?? With an Anime character I like them like a heterosexual. But irl I'm AroAce. I make fanfictions with him and I start getting stressed when he's OOC. One difference is that I don't just stick with him, I can love 2 or more at a time but I know I love him more than the other one. I do have crushes on people, I honestly think they look cute but I don't want to waste my time when they think it's gonna be a normal relationship and it turns out it's like a platonic relationship and be disappointed. So I don't try.

(Fun Fact) When I was in Middle school, I learned about Lucid dreaming, and I can do anything I want. So I was thinking maybe...I could finally be with him 😶😶😶😂 I've tried...once? But I've been quite lazy so it's getting there..? I had an extremely vivid dream about Shoto from BNHA It was pure heaven that only lasted a second since I woke up when he touched my hand ;_;

Honestly I'm happy with him. I stay away from Anime haters because they wouldn't understand and just as I predicted. I have this girl who hates Kpop and anime and she looks at me like I'm a psycho. she doesn't even try to understand and laughs when I tell her I'm AroAce, it's not funny but I awkwardly laugh along. 

So When I found this post it was super reassuring!  So...there's more but then it would get weird, My mom doesn't know how attached I am. 

Sorry this is so long ;~; 

• 2 months later...
access_denied

I am more of the holding back kind of type, but feel free to pm me! I'm searching for people who wanna share thier experience.

• 1 month later...
LLawlietFan1

Ah dude it's super painful. I started crushing a bit on L (stupid I know) and now I can't stop thinking of him. Real guys are nice, but I feel too attracted to a fictional character. Literally I pray every day that he'll be real and I'll meet him. This is just making me feel more lonely and it's making my anxiety and depression worse. Although it's also given me a joy in my life and I don't know if I should let go or not?

Archived